Would you do it again...today

Well said bro,............back in the day, corps were doing a much better job of building young men and women,.................today, not so much

That is pretty ignorant and naive to think that drum corps do not build "young men and women" (though obviously your verbiage is super generic and vague). Talking to people who are marching in corps now, they learn the same values, attributes, character building, etc. that I learned over ten years ago when I aged-out. And when I was marching, I would talk to alumni and they agreed that I was learning the same values they learned decades previously.

I think it is EXTREMELY easy to look at your youth with rose colored lenses and think that with all of the cosmetic changes we might disagree with there can't possibly be any way current marching members are learning the same great things we learned. But even a marginal amount of "research" (i.e. talking to a few current marching members, spending some time at rehearsals, etc) says otherwise.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I would do it again...I could stand to lose the weight!

LOL, same here . . . though I'm not sure that's the healthiest way to go about it. :tongue:

For good or bad, I actually GAINED weight the two years I marched. I was rail thin when I started, we ate REALLY well for the most part, and my wife said it was muscle weight (though I assume she was just flattering me) :thumbup:

my wife said it was muscle weight (though I assume she was just flattering me) :thumbup:

By that logic, I have very amazing abdominal "muscles"! :worthy:

Edited by madalumni

Well said bro,............back in the day, corps were doing a much better job of building young men and women,.................today, not so much

I don't know how you can make a statement like this unless you have been able to observe EVERY corps throughout the season 24/7 and are able to observe the life of every person who came from drum corps.

This question is such a no brainer. Absofreakinlutely. I am lucky enough as it is to be able to march in the Blue Stars Alumni Corps every year in the raucous Oktoberfest parade, and it is the highlight of my year, every year. Nothing beats strapping on the drum and hacking away with a bunch of has beens. Some how with almost no rehearsal we manage to pull it off, and 3 1/2 miles later its lager time baby!

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes!!!! I would definitely do it again today even knowing what I know now with all the "changes" that have occured since I marched over 20 years ago. I may not agree with a lot of the changes for various reasons, but the experience itself far outweighs any changes or the even the politics IMHO. I cherish that time in my life quite deeply.