Crown in search of Lead Baritone

I wouldn't hold it against them, but if they don't use their alternates as understudies/replacements, it makes me wonder why they bother having "alternates" in the first place. :tongue:

exactly. if you dont intend to use them, dont take their money.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alternates pay half tuition anyway. And there's still a great chance they'll get to march because it's only 2 weeks into spring training. So everyone pull out the wedgie and relax.

So if there's an alternate that doesn't have the chops to play lead, he should be allowed to march that spot anyway? Is that what I'm hearing people say here?

No. What you'd be hearing, were you reading correctly, is that you :

1. Don't take 'alternates' if you really don't think they can handle what you do. And

2. Promote from within. You move a second into first, a third into 2nd, etc. Alternate goes in wherever they can manage it. If they CAN'T manage it, then you don't take their money, and you encourage them to find a corps where they can march every day. That would be a much better use of THEIR time.

Edited by mobrien

So if there's an alternate that doesn't have the chops to play lead, he should be allowed to march that spot anyway? Is that what I'm hearing people say here?

pretty much. pretty ridiculous.

No. What you'd be hearing, were you reading correctly, is that you :

1. Don't take 'alternates' if you really don't think they can handle what you do. And

2. Promote from within. You move a second into first, a third into 2nd, etc. Alternate goes in wherever they can manage it. If they CAN'T manage it, then you don't take their money, and you encourage them to find a corps where they can march every day. That would be a much better use of THEIR time.

regarding 1- maybe they're hoping the alternate will grow into being able to handle it and still waiting.

regarding 2- shifting people around means you not only have one person learing new music and dril but 2, 3, 4 people. That's not very efficient.

Edited by VoC

I would play lead baritone with you guys, but I think it would put too much pressure on the kids... plus there's that little matter of getting ready to turn 21 for the third time pretty soon.

Might have to alter the marching style for me a bit if you want it to work...

Between the G7 debacle, the poor met kid being charged full tuition, and now this lead bari issue, perhaps Crown should hire a pr firm.....they certainly do seem to be getting their lion share of bad press lately..... :tongue: