Please limit the number in the Pit

if I could find the original proposal sure would, because we discussed ad nauseum back then...and of course you took the contrary position, because, well, that's what you do

My opinion aligns itself with those who like progress and wider options...like the staffs and admins of the corps. Yours is the 'contrary' one, being against those things.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but they still watch the shows so this is all moot.

Yeah.. we still watch the shows...... but imho, all change ISNT for the best.... like

12 keyboards and synths.. just takes up semi space..... oh, and lets not forget the

bass guitarist....wondered if I was really watching drum corps...

It's like saying, back in my day, we had to send messages over telegraphs instead of email. :smile:

Nah, we threw rocks at each other. :smile:

Drum corps has evolved since that time and I think since they decided to put the pit on the sidelines, they should be able to utilize whatever they can add to the concept of the show. I'm not saying "get used to it" because obviously everyone is used to it after so long, but I just think some people are too stuck on what went on in the past; understandable to a point, but still.

Understood and I wasn't saying we should go back to "You can only play it if you carry it". Just trying to give the younger fans an idea of how the pit came along and how it has expanded. Sometimes a "historical perspectic" helps people to understand each others views.

I follow the horn line anyway so I just wish those people standing up in front would just sit the Hell down. :smile:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

The Chicago Symphony Orchestra has 109 musicians. I don't think they have 10 to 15 percussion keyboards at any given performance. People post here about musicianship but the pit is a cariciture of musicality. There is so much that irritates me about the pit that where do I start?

First, they always overpower the rest of the corps. Second, people talk about the battery playing too many notes well the pit is constantly making noise. Picture Lionel Hampton and three of his vibraphone buddies fronting a jazz band and they won't stop filling in the songs with notes. How irritating is that? That's what the pit does for me in a drum corps show. Can someone tell what other type of musical group contains 15 stationary percussionists? A jazz band? A rock band? a klezmer band? Who?

There seems to be a competition to see how many instruments a corps can pack onto the sidelines in the allotted time. I'm waiting for a rules change to allow more time between corps because they can't get all the toys set up in the 10 minutes they're given. Let's go back to the rule that every performer (except for the timpani player) has to carry every instrument they play on the field themselves.

That exagerated "musical" flair that they add when they strike their instruments drives me insane. The same is true for those violinists that bob their head but that's off topic. It reminds me of that guard move where they run with their toes pointed and a concerned look on their face but that's off topic too(give me that 27th Lancers kick @55 rifle line any day).

Drum Corps is first a visual activity. To be honest, todays corps CD's do nothing for me. I can't sit and listen to drum corps but I love to watch a DVD of drum corps. Other than a front sidelines distraction the pit contributes nothing to the visual package.

And Finally:

Hats. They don't wear hats. What's up with that? Don't even tell me its because the hats block their view of the conductor (can't we say drum major anymore? - but that's off topic). The rest of the corps does just fine in hats and they're marching. Watch those pit players. They're looking down at their keyboards. When the battery looks down at their drums its for a visual effect. How about the pit playing with their heads up like the rest of the corps?

Signed,

A grumpy guy.

:smile:

You are my hero.

PS - don't forget the extra bucks involved. Not only thestuff they play on, but the extra truck(s) to haul it around. It's a gift that keeps on giving.

That's the thing. Pit members don't need shakos. There really isn't a point for them to have them. I don't know if it's like a tradition thing or who started pit's not doing hats thing, but to me it works better for them not to wear them and looks better too.

And DVD to CD sales is irrelevant, there's more factors to deal with like people's tastes, the corps's drill, etc..

How come 'back in the day' a person carrying and playing a vibraphone, on the field, marching a (OK- elevator) drill could wear headgear, but the pit can't?

Heck, the Madison xylophone in 75/76 had all that PLUS an artificial leg.

How come 'back in the day' a person carrying and playing a vibraphone, on the field, marching a (OK- elevator) drill could wear headgear, but the pit can't?

Heck, the Madison xylophone in 75/76 had all that PLUS an artificial leg.

Doesn't Madison's pit still wear headgear, or have they done away with that?

Doesn't Madison's pit still wear headgear, or have they done away with that?

Depends on the show, and in some cases the part of the show, like in 2008 where they took them off for the drum feature.

I really like the look of Madison's pit with their aussies on. It's a really aggressive look that I don't think would work in a lot of situation.

I think most corps these days want the pit to have a more "human" presence on the field, akin to the guard. While obviously not on the same level, I think if you ask why the pit doesn't wear hats you have to also ask why the guard doesn't either. You could argue that it's because it restricts the amount of movement the guard does/ability to spot weapons in the air, but I'm not convinced that's the number one reason. I couldn't picture today's guards in today's shows wearing hats even if they were doing nothing but drop spins the whole show (well, except for maybe Cadets this year....).

The Chicago Symphony Orchestra has 109 musicians. I don't think they have 10 to 15 percussion keyboards at any given performance.

Kind of confused... I don't think they have 12-20 tubas, 18-24 trumpets, 12-16 horns, or 18-24 baritones either... And I don't think you can argue that it's because these instruments take over the roles of other parts of the orchestra or that the environment is drastically different and therefore requires different numbers without forfeiting the right of someone else to use the same argument for the pit...