Blue Stars 2010!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is based on the FN vid, so take it for what it's worth.

I like the first number. It has a Philip Glass thing going. Maybe that's because it actually is Philip Glass, although I thought it sounded more like Koyaanisqqatsi than The Hours.

After that, it gets kind of repetitive musically. A lot of loud, angry dissonance without much dynamics or phrasing. The Illusionist music doesn't really fit stylistically. Glass and Adams have a lot of interesting and complex harmonies that the film music lacks.

Technically, I think they have a long way to go before they march or play as well as Cavaliers. I like the fact that they play the horns with energy, but it gets edgy and out of control too often. Cavaliers seem to play with more control and finesse, not to mention better intonation. Cavaliers also have a smoother, more refined marching style despite being fairly dirty as an ensemble.

Compared to Madison, I think Scouts brass is more restrained, but also more musical - better phrasing and dynamics. The brass and percussion work more as an ensemble. With Blue Stars, they seem to be fighting each other. I felt like there were a number of ensemble break downs in the battery. To me, Madison's show is also more engaging, probably because the music is more familiar.

Blue Stars show is technically demanding, and they will probably get credit for their aggressive style. Those two factors could take them a long way. But I don't see them catching Cavaliers, and if Madison gets cleaner they could close the gap.

I like the first number. It has a Philip Glass thing going. Maybe that's because it actually is Philip Glass, although I thought it sounded more like Koyaanisqqatsi than The Hours.

After that, it gets kind of repetitive musically. A lot of loud, angry dissonance without much dynamics or phrasing. The Illusionist music doesn't really fit stylistically. Glass and Adams have a lot of interesting and complex harmonies that the film music lacks.

Technically, I think they have a long way to go before they march or play as well as Cavaliers. I like the fact that they play the horns with energy, but it gets edgy and out of control too often. Cavaliers seem to play with more control and finesse, not to mention better intonation. Cavaliers also have a smoother, more refined marching style despite being fairly dirty as an ensemble.

Compared to Madison, I think Scouts brass is more restrained, but also more musical - better phrasing and dynamics. The brass and percussion work more as an ensemble. With Blue Stars, they seem to be fighting each other. I felt like there were a number of ensemble break downs in the battery. To me, Madison's show is also more engaging, probably because the music is more familiar.

Blue Stars show is technically demanding, and they will probably get credit for their aggressive style. Those two factors could take them a long way. But I don't see them catching Cavaliers, and if Madison gets cleaner they could close the gap.

Huh. Trying really hard to justify your bias.

I didn't say would, I said I would like. I don't see it happening either, just a personal opinion.

I posted this in the Normal thread and got a snide comment, but I think it bears repeating here...

BlueStars show me that drum corps will survive just fine without the G7, if it comes to that.

I've seen the term "G7" a couple of times....what exactly is it?

I've seen the term "G7" a couple of times....what exactly is it?

....OH, you actually want to know?

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...howtopic=136313

Everything in that first post should answer your question.

Anyone else reading to updates on the BS forum? Is it just me or does it sound like a bunch of band parents at a marching band competition?

quote from a post on Drum Corps Planet,.....funny that others read what you have to say,...and then make comments about it on another forum.

Maybe it's because I am not a member of your forum.

quote from a post on Drum Corps Planet,.....funny that others read what you have to say,...and then make comments about it on another forum.

Maybe it's because I am not a member of your forum.

You do not have to be a member. Come join us!