Boston Crusaders 2010

In short..yes. Boston is Championship driven but not at all costs or solely for the satisfaction of the judges. Would BAC want to win with a production like BD does, somewhat lost on the average show goer? Most decidely not. Boston will get there on Bostons terms and if for whatever reason DCI and the judging community fails to recognize what most fans want (at least it seems that way on DCP) that's OK. Does Boston HAVE to be "Championship Driven"? Is that the be all end all. Not for several corps i.e Madison this year. Boston has been there pre DCI. Boston has also been "up the ranks" beeing as high as 5th with the same attitude they have today.

I think alot of people miss understand the meaning of that phrase. I think they are Championship driven but like alot of those corps in the 6-9 placements their trying to find the right mix of being "Old School" and at the same time being current in design and performance. I think the show was a little more old school this year as it should be for the 70th anniversary of the corps but I'm sure next year and in years to come they will put out shows that are probably balanced being innovative and current but at the same time being old school enough it keep the Crusader tradition intact. It is more a matter of just execution and uping the GE factor and then you'll see them right in the mix for top 5 and maybe even top 3.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think alot of people miss understand the meaning of that phrase. I think they are Championship driven but like alot of those corps in the 6-9 placements their trying to find the right mix of being "Old School" and at the same time being current in design and performance. I think the show was a little more old school this year as it should be for the 70th anniversary of the corps but I'm sure next year and in years to come they will put out shows that are probably balanced being innovative and current but at the same time being old school enough it keep the Crusader tradition intact. It is more a matter of just execution and uping the GE factor and then you'll see them right in the mix for top 5 and maybe even top 3.

I am confused.

What was old school,about their show?

I am confused.

What was old school,about their show?

What was "Old School"? IMO it is the desire to create or develop a show that might have a consensus that it is weighted for a more entertainment factor for the "masses' as it be, than for the judges need for musical "sophistication", theater and "art". I believe Boston and a few other corps dared to perform shows geared for the general fan who wants good music, played well, with a drill design marched well to maximize voice presentation, be visually appealing, occassionally wowing rather than the few who feel it should all make us think deeply to understand the Zen of a presentation be it music and or drill. I like to go home remembering a show or at least more than a single phrase or a sinlge drill moment. Some of the "upper tier show" designs, for me, tend to be like a dream. Once I wake up I usually can't remember it. In this case, Once I am heaaded for my car, I can't remeber much of their shows. Couple that with aging memory loss and I'm lucky I know I went to a show at all.

Give me good music and drill played and marched well, with a killer guard, performing a show with no gimmicks, amp only the pit (I'm) OK with that, selective use of props (that have a meaning to the show); Have the horn line BTFBO and the drummers DTAO and that to me is Old School.

What was "Old School"? IMO it is the desire to create or develop a show that might have a consensus that it is weighted for a more entertainment factor for the "masses' as it be, than for the judges need for musical "sophistication", theater and "art". I believe Boston and a few other corps dared to perform shows geared for the general fan who wants good music, played well, with a drill design marched well to maximize voice presentation, be visually appealing, occassionally wowing rather than the few who feel it should all make us think deeply to understand the Zen of a presentation be it music and or drill. I like to go home remembering a show or at least more than a single phrase or a sinlge drill moment. Some of the "upper tier show" designs, for me, tend to be like a dream. Once I wake up I usually can't remember it. In this case, Once I am heaaded for my car, I can't remeber much of their shows. Couple that with aging memory loss and I'm lucky I know I went to a show at all.

Give me good music and drill played and marched well, with a killer guard, performing a show with no gimmicks, amp only the pit (I'm) OK with that, selective use of props (that have a meaning to the show); Have the horn line BTFBO and the drummers DTAO and that to me is Old School.

There were more theater and art in their show than others above them as it has been over the past few years. I believe that Boston has progress with there show each year sense the new staff took over. IMO there were three shows that were different BD abstract and jazzy, Boston abstract with beautiful mix of drill and music. BC todays drum corp with better use of amps. Maybe someone could do Pat Metheny group IMAGINARY DAY that would be out there. Have a great day.