WHAT no wild reviews?

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WHAT no wild reviews?

I just got back. only because my tan is doing pretty well no touch up needed at this point. So my Guess at why no reviews yet.

Everyone is still enjoying their time down at the beach.

It is wildwood I am guessing not to many hotel/motels with wifi

Still Recovering?

From my view and comments made after, It is my belief that all Enjoyed the show. (overall Show)

Our Rookies had a fun time doing their first Drum Corps show some said "it was nice going to the show and having people that did not know you cheering like they did". With their bands they know its just the Band Parents Here it was not and that was COOL .. To me that is what it is all about. So to me First show Mission accomplished Fans and Members Enjoyed it.

Now hopefully later some fans will report in and review and if they do hopefully not Get bashed for whatever they write.

Onto Bridgeport.

Edited by Cabs2002

Very good weather for the most part.. However it was quite windy and did effect some of the guard work

Fusion - First of all I loved the new uniforms.. fit the corps very well only problem was because of the wind some plumes went flyin. Very impressive for thier first apparence of 2010.. I believe that this is the best I have ever seen them this early in the season. They had some issues ensembly with the brass section but really produced an entertaining program.. They could be in the hunt for a Class A title this season

Bush - The show literally starts from the second they enter the field. Most notebly with ritualistic playing on a rolling concert bass drum which lead the corps onto the field. This show concept is top shelf and very demanding... which I feel hurts the corps because they dont quite have the horses yet. I think they had a little less than 30 brass. I respect bush for always pushing it to the next level in terms of show design but its going to be tough to get the full potential out of this show. I was extremely impressed with thier battery. A smaller section with only 4 snares, however they performed the heck out of the show. The guard was solid and really sold the show as well. The question going forward for this corps is if they are going to be able to catch up to the demand of thier program.

Bucs - Much more theatrical of a show than your used to with this corps. The show starts off with echoes of pines of rome with trumpet soloists fully equipped with hearld trumpets. This all builds in to a powerful hit, which is short lived as the corps continues in with high velocity drill which would be a recurring theme threw out the show.. Brass had some really impress WOW moments. The percussion section was good... but not great.. not what your expecting from the bucs. The first percussion feature was well performed however another percussion feature in I believe the closer was pretty rough especially from the standards were used with this corps. The Bucs have definately pushed the envelope even further this year in terms of visual demand and It really caught up with them in the closer. The Brass started to really strain and the feet strained as well. I personally saw 2 brass members have falls and someone sitting next to me said they saw a 3rd. This is a beast of a program but they IMO are a bit behind where they have been in previous years and that really makes me scratch my head when I found out the scores..

Cabs - Cabs are light years ahead of where they were this time last year. The brass had a really strong performance for the first show out of the gate, there wasnt a moment where they seemed to lose any stamina. Ballad was very well written and had a couple of really nice moments. The closer starts with some trades back and forth with Brass and Percussion which has some nice potential.. The battery really performed well tonight and Although I havent seen the recaps should have been close to Bucs. Guard is better than they have been the past couple of seasons however were probably the weakest part of this performance.. which could be because of the wind which each corps had issues with. Alot of velocity in the end of the show and some lack of clarity in some forms but thats to be expected for the first show of the season.

Sorry didnt see any of the exbitions as I headed out early for the boardwalk

Now the scores... I think saying an 80 is too high isnt relevant.. The 80 part doesnt bother me.. the score is just there to give a placement, that being said the 5 point spread from Bucs to Cabs was IMHO ridiculous.. I thought that although Bucs have a beast of a show.. they are just not there yet and Cabs had a much more clean performance. That being said I would not have been surprised if Cabs won the show

Bucs - Much more theatrical of a show than your used to with this corps. The show starts off with echoes of pines of rome with trumpet soloists fully equipped with hearld trumpets. This all builds in to a powerful hit, which is short lived as the corps continues in with high velocity drill which would be a recurring theme threw out the show.. Brass had some really impress WOW moments. The percussion section was good... but not great.. not what your expecting from the bucs. The first percussion feature was well performed however another percussion feature in I believe the closer was pretty rough especially from the standards were used with this corps. The Bucs have definately pushed the envelope even further this year in terms of visual demand and It really caught up with them in the closer. The Brass started to really strain and the feet strained as well. I personally saw 2 brass members have falls and someone sitting next to me said they saw a 3rd. This is a beast of a program but they IMO are a bit behind where they have been in previous years and that really makes me scratch my head when I found out the scores..

3 Herald Trumpets, and a Herald Baritone....just saying :tongue:

Much thanks for the review!

EDIT: I stand corrected, Herald Tenor Horn.

Edited by Kyle B

I agree with a lot of what the previous poster said.

Sitting in the crowd and hearing "This is gonna be close" coming from Bucs Alumni in the stands and after hearing 75 for Cabs hearing "Ok 76.15" as a potential score, EVERYONE I believe was shocked at the spread between Bucs and Cabs. As the previous poster pointed out I thought it was going to be a toss up for who was going to win the show. After seeing the spread I literally have to ask myself if there is any way that anyone could possibly beat Reading this year? To me, having watched Reading's shows since 2005 this is the closest anyone has come to knocking them off at any show I've been to (and I've been to a lot). To have them down 5 is absolutely insane. As a fan who enjoys competition I would like to ask DCA at what point does competition come into play when it comes to scoring. Having completely no bias towards either corps I would have had the corps divided by less than a point. If Reading had won by less than a point, I would have agreed. Had Cabs won by less than a point, I would have agreed. But to say there was 5 points different between them is telling me "I should just save my money and stay home because if the 1995 Madison Scouts came out they would not beat Reading". What is it going to take for someone to beat them, because honestly at this point, I think it is absolutely impossible.

Now the scores... I think saying an 80 is too high isnt relevant.. The 80 part doesnt bother me.. the score is just there to give a placement, that being said the 5 point spread from Bucs to Cabs was IMHO ridiculous.. I thought that although Bucs have a beast of a show.. they are just not there yet and Cabs had a much more clean performance. That being said I would not have been surprised if Cabs won the show
All due respect to your opinion, and not having witnessed the show myself....the caption recaps have the Bucs with a COMPLETE caption/subcaption sweep. The show was judged by a very respectable crew. It would just seem to me that based on this, there could have been no doubt who won the show. Perhaps everyone is just getting plain fatigued by the Bucs constantly winning....

Wildwood weekend review:

Friday afternoon... the missus and I got into town and checked into the Bolero hotel/conference center.... a MAJOR upgrade from our accomodations the previous year, and I thank the Caballeros organization for that!

We got settled in, took a walk up to the Boardwalk (a block or so from our hotel) to get some fresh-brewed iced teas at Harry's Corner. We decided to add a funnel cake to our order.....hey, we had two hours to go before dinner and needed something to take the edge off....LOL.

Dinner Friday night was at the Ravioli House. Terrific food as usual, but it is getting a bit overpriced there.

Then back to the Boardwalk where Barbara, my sister and I split an order of deep-fried Oreos. Those things are stupid good. I can't even imagine eating them more than once or twice a year, though.... or I would have a cardiac-care unit named after me. :tongue:

Breakfast Saturday morning at the Sand Castle coffee shop.......the waffles and pancakes there are quite tasty.

Then lunch Saturday on the Boardwalk at the new place (Waffles ETC./Tina's Snack Shack) owned by our Westshoremen Alumni friend Scott Humm and his fiancee Faith. It is located right near the convention center, in the row of stores closest to the center. Good place for a quick lunch or breakfast.... burgers, hot dogs (Berks hot dogs, which to me are the "gold standard" of grilled hot dogs), waffles and desert waffles, breakfast sandwiches including a South Jersey classic...pork roll. And soft-serve and hard ice cream for desert. Barbara had a burger, I had a couple of grilled Berks, we split a cup of soft-serve ice cream. It was all good.

Saturday night, after the show.... the Boardwalk for my annual pilgrimage to Harry's Corner for a cheesesteak with fried onions.... then next door to Kohr Brothers where Barbara and I shared a cup of their delicious frozen custard.... then we called it a night and headed back to our hotel. We were simply too tired to get to Kelly's this year.

This morning (Sunday): Breakfast again at the Sand Castle. Good way to fuel up for the long, hot ride home. Goodbye to Wildwood in June for another year.... also goodbye to all that Boardwalk food and back on my regular diet this week!

Oh yeah... there was a drum corps show in town, too. LOL

Perhaps everyone is just getting plain fatigued by the Bucs constantly winning....

Which is why someone stated in a different thread "the bucs are ruining DCA"

I am starting to agree.

Which is why someone stated in a different thread "the bucs are ruining DCA"

I am starting to agree.

it does become rather dull when you know who is going to win every show.

I also simply cannot believe that, because there was a "very respectable crew" judging, the expected results don't play into the official results. 2006 cabs comes to mind; the drill might not have been well written or terribly clean, but when you listen to that show, you can't suggest that that was a 4th place hornline you just heard.

I know how good the Bucs are, and I have a world of respect for their product and organization, but it is beginning to seem that last year's scores are becoming more and more important to this year's spreads.

I, of course, represent nobody but myself.

Edited by tarpal

it does become rather dull when you know who is going to win every show.

I also simply cannot believe that, because there was a "very respectable crew" judging, the expected results don't play into the official results. 2006 cabs comes to mind; the drill might not have been well written or terribly clean, but when you listen to that show, you can't suggest that that was a 4th place hornline you just heard.

I know how good the Bucs are, and I have a world of respect for their product and organization, but it is beginning to seem that last year's scores are becoming more and more important to this year's spreads.

I, of course, represent nobody but myself.

I'm totally uneducated on DCA's judging policies, but from what I've seen personally, DCA tends not to move anyone from last year's placement until everyone is out. Tends to be a trend every year... no one moves placements until around the beginning of July. Could be a coincidence, but just seems to be the case from my personal experience.