I am starting to agree.

What???? Now. that's just silly.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which is why someone stated in a different thread "the bucs are ruining DCA"

I am starting to agree.

I never saw that in another thread, but that is quite possibly the dumbest thing I ever read..........................since RAMD.. :tongue:

And to the Bucs credit, they've never reached the "Judged against themselves" stage.

Clearly. Because if one were to judge Saturday night's performance against the previous season openers in Wildwood that netted a 76 something, Bucs probably should have scored a 72-74.

This production (while technically difficult and performed well) was not as good as even last season's first show for them. The was fatigue evident on the field and marchers taking spills. I don't know how a judging crew can give away an 80 when there are people hitting the turf. In my humble opinion, ALL of the scores were ridiculously high. My estimates probably would have been as follows:

Bucs - 76.675

Cabs - 74.125

Bush - 66.625

Fusion - 60.950

I'm not trying to say anybody was bad, but the scores certainly seemed over-inflated. I have marched and I have taught. I'm a little bit familiar with the verbiage on the back of the sheet. I can't see how such high scores can be delivered one night 1. Some corps are not finished with their shows, others have the guard at right shoulder for half the program. Can you honestly say that that deserves more credit than some corps could hope to achieve weeks from now with a complete show?

And yes, I was at the show and saw every performance from the same vantage point.

All due respect to your opinion, and not having witnessed the show myself....the caption recaps have the Bucs with a COMPLETE caption/subcaption sweep. The show was judged by a very respectable crew. It would just seem to me that based on this, there could have been no doubt who won the show. Perhaps everyone is just getting plain fatigued by the Bucs constantly winning....

With all due respect to you sir.. you were not at said show.. I was a little kind in my review.. Cabs in my opinion won the show.

Edited by JerseyDCyanks

I'm totally uneducated on DCA's judging policies, but from what I've seen personally, DCA tends not to move anyone from last year's placement until everyone is out. Tends to be a trend every year... no one moves placements until around the beginning of July. Could be a coincidence, but just seems to be the case from my personal experience.

funny thing is Ed, you marched in a corps that proved that theory wrong just 10 years ago

Clearly. Because if one were to judge Saturday night's performance against the previous season openers in Wildwood that netted a 76 something, Bucs probably should have scored a 72-74.

This production (while technically difficult and performed well) was not as good as even last season's first show for them. The was fatigue evident on the field and marchers taking spills. I don't know how a judging crew can give away an 80 when there are people hitting the turf. In my humble opinion, ALL of the scores were ridiculously high. My estimates probably would have been as follows:

Bucs - 76.675

Cabs - 74.125

Bush - 66.625

Fusion - 60.950

I'm not trying to say anybody was bad, but the scores certainly seemed over-inflated. I have marched and I have taught. I'm a little bit familiar with the verbiage on the back of the sheet. I can't see how such high scores can be delivered one night 1. Some corps are not finished with their shows, others have the guard at right shoulder for half the program. Can you honestly say that that deserves more credit than some corps could hope to achieve weeks from now with a complete show?

And yes, I was at the show and saw every performance from the same vantage point.

my hunch is corps #1 got scored high by all, and they kept the spreads relative, but with higher numbers across the board

Looking at the recap, I don't see anything unusual. The field and ensemble numbers are within 3 - 5 tenths of each other and there is a consensus among the entire panel. I'm sure all the corps will be hard at work to climb the ladder from here. WW is not Finals!

We are no longer living in the days (sadly) of the tic system and it is the substance which creates the scores. Under any scoring system - opinions on the results will differ.

As to the comments about Bucs killing DCA by being so dominant - taken at face value is a laughable statement, but perhaps the originator of the statement didn't mean it exactly in the way it was taken. I read it as a statement that since no other corp stands a chance to win it all - why bother. Over the past few decades we've see the number of excellent senior corps shrink. We just lost kingpins such as Cru, Brig and Sky. With perhaps only 3-4 real contenders - can DCA survive ? We've seen DCI change the landscape of the Juniors and what once was hundreds of corps, we are down to perhaps two dozen quality corps in total and now the 'brilliant' ones have a plan for the 'elite' 8 corps or so to breakoff a bit and have their own shows. Obviously the likes of Hopkins is looking to have a BLAST type show and let DCI fend for itself - it could mean the end to the activity as we know it. Who knows.

IMO it all comes down to a lack of gonads on the part of the "highly respected panel" which, from my experience is basically a mutual admiration society. No one wants to be honest if it is against the flow out of fear of being ostracized by their peers. Nothing new here. My opinion only. Flame on!

Which is why someone stated in a different thread "the bucs are ruining DCA"

I am starting to agree.

No, no. This statement is laughable simply because it's easy to throw out there without any solutions. So what action do you suggest DCA should take to Bucs from "ruining" DCA? Disqualify the Bucs? Give the other corps handicaps? Institute a membership draft? It's ridiculous, dude.

As Jeff Ream would say, the corps with the highest score wins, and it's just so happened that Bucs have gotten the highest score for a while. If another corps would like to take that away, then all they have to do is get a higher score.

Please continue with your regularly programmed conspiracy theories.