2010 Rankings

Heat Wave and Sun were the Class A finalists that year.

I believe only 10 corps were in Finals that night.... the 11th and 12th place corps from Prelims (Hurricanes and Skyliners) appeared in judged exhibition.

For many years (at least since I started working at the show in 1983) DCA had 10 finalists, and the 11th and 12-place corps from Prelims would appear in exhibition, but not be judged.

Why, in 2003, the 11th and 12th place exhibition corps were judged, with their scores announced as being in "judged exhibition".... I don't know.

Well....actually.... I kinda DO know, but I'm not sayin'. :thumbup:

There were 12 Finalists in '72-'74, 11 in '86, 12 in '92, 13 in '93, 12 in 2002 etc.

They all received Finals scores...

It appears that only in '03 were the 11th and 12th corps "judged exhibition"...

(That's why I originally thought ALs)

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were 12 Finalists in '72-'74, 11 in '86, 12 in '92, 13 in '93, 12 in 2002 etc.

... so 2003 was one of the "duel" championship years where the winner was named both the DCA and the AL Nats Champ?

:-)

that was IF the corps had a legion affiliation...............

Correct ... which may be the reason that the Hurcs and Sky were judged? ... and the fact that a Canadian corps knocked them out of Finals? Any articles in DCW on this?

Edited by ajlisko

... behind closed doors, through plumes of cigar smoke. :lol:

No doubt. :thumbup:

Correct ... which may be the reason that the Hurcs and Sky were judged? ... and the fact that a Canadian corps knocked them out of Finals? Any articles in DCW on this?

...but a Canadian corps has knocked American corps out of finals before.

1998 saw Grenadiers in and Crusaders and Chieftans out

1999 saw Grenadiers in and Kilties and Chieftans out

2000 was only one corps out and that was Heatwave

2001 was the same, but it was Kilties

2002 only 12 open class corps, all corps in by default

2003 saw Hurricanes, Skyliners, Carolina Gold and Kilties out, but 11th and 12th place got to go onto finals in exhibition

Grenadiers won A class in 2004

Grenadiers failed to make finals in 2005 and have been A class ever since.

I don't think AL's are needed for finals, just the mid-season regional IIRC. I know we needed an AL for the regionals in Scranton in 1999. We got a score that night because we had a legion from Alexandria Bay sponsor us IIRC. I do remember doing a regional at Scranton again, maybe the following season. We were judged exhibition because we didn't have AL sponsorship.

Edited by PureRockFury

I haven't been around DCA all that long. But I thought with The Kidsgrove Scouts being from the UK they would be considered a different class,(International?) leaving 11 corps to play at finals. I'm most likley mistaken, but it would make sense.

Actually, I think only a tie for 10th and 11th would result in both corps making finals... If there's even a written rule for that circumstance...
1986 :smile:

:thumbup:

WOW LARRIE !! :lol:

I thought nobody would be BIG enough to mention it!!!

That's the FIRST thing that came to my mind when they were talking about ties in Prelims

altering the number of groups in finals..

SPANDY - If you want specifics on that occurrance, either PM me or e-mail me...

I can elaborate (but of course, with that Minnesota tainted bias)

Say Liz! You didn't happen to be part of that group in '86 that took advantage of the tie were you?

Just curious - :thumbup:

Pat

But there were exhibition corps (11th and 12-place prelims finishers) in pretty much all the years when there were 10 judged finalists. Only difference was... in those years.... the exhibition corps weren't judged.

I'm pretty sure the 2003 Grennies-Hurcs-Sky thing had absolutely nothing to do with American Legion eligibility, or any such thing. Again, I'm pretty sure I know some of the behind-the-scenes stuff that went on that year.... and it really is nobody's business.

I believe the rule was.... during the years of the "dual championships" in Scranton, 2002 through 2005..... that if the corps that won the DCA Open Class title also had an American Legion sponsorship, then that corps also was the winner of the American Legion national title.

Since every corps that won the DCA title those years (Brigs, Cabs, Statesmen and Bucs) all had Legion sponsorships, they were all dual champs.

Edited by Fran Haring