Encore Songs

Is anyone else nearly as depressed about the trend towards...POP culture music in encore presentations...this I can truly say...I LOATHE, it is basically PEP Band!!!!...give me your best stuff...not friggin MADONNA...this seriously bugs the livin daily outta me! There is no football team on the field to cheer on so leave that crap with high school and college marching bands.

Crown, but they've been playing various pop songs in their encores for years now. The Blue Knights played a Stevie Wonder tune last year. Cavaliers played Michael Jackson's "Thriller" last year, too (at least at the Atlanta regional). I don't think it's that big of a deal. Some corps like to give professional concerts for their encores (Regiment, for example), and some corps like to relax and have a little fun. I'm fine with either one. Not worth getting upset about, IMO.

Edited by BugleBand

Is anyone else nearly as depressed about the trend towards...POP culture music in encore presentations...this I can truly say...I LOATHE, it is basically PEP Band!!!!...give me your best stuff...not friggin MADONNA...this seriously bugs the livin daily outta me! There is no football team on the field to cheer on so leave that crap with high school and college marching bands.

If I saw a pep band play the arrangement of "Like a Prayer" that Crown does as clean as Crown does, I'd be impressed.

Come on, it's not like they're just playing stock charts. Loosen up, have some fun. Oh no, pop music! Remember when eight corps played "Children of Sanchez" in. Or how about the rash of Earth, Wind, and Fire/Chicago from the late 70s/early 80s.

If I saw a pep band play the arrangement of "Like a Prayer" that Crown does as clean as Crown does, I'd be impressed.

Come on, it's not like they're just playing stock charts. Loosen up, have some fun. Oh no, pop music! Remember when eight corps played "Children of Sanchez" in. Or how about the rash of Earth, Wind, and Fire/Chicago from the late 70s/early 80s.

I agree, and for every corps thats playing lady gaga theres another playing 1812.

Id love to see Madison play Children of Sanchez

Classics for the show, pop for the encore, why not? It is a winning combo and shows how both can be enjoyable in their own way. Goodness knows we need crowd interest and participation from young and old to get people through the gate and sustain DCI. Not everyone wants to hear classical and classic pop all the time. Bring pop culture to the mix with classics and execute as well as Crown and all is well.