BLOOOOuisville, KY

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm starting on it now- just got back. Had a good time-

Watched the bluecoats practice- about an hour of horn arc and 2 hours of ensemble- good times. More on that later.

I played Tuba and I reserve to interchange the word "contra" for "Tuba" whenever I want. I know the difference and I just straight up don't give a crap- it just sounds more 'drum corps' to say "Contra"…

Crowd: 3,000-ish? At least 2,250 or so… hard to tell—it was crowded enough to feel some good ole' drum corps camaraderie- but still having an empty seat here and there—it was fine with me.

Teal Sound:

IMG_0039.JPG

8 contras- Don't remember too much- intelligently written- individual technique is great- members are holding their own- brass putting out a decent sound- the first statement had the crowd going and they got a nice applause at the end. This show has potential and is written at a high enough level that if they polish and clean enough they will be able to pull up some- not sure how high- it's certainly too tough for them right now- and that's a good thing in my book- of course if we're still saying that in late July they are screwed! Two synths, a bass, and a guitar- there were 16 in the pit. I guess I'm OK with it- but I prefer it a little more traditional if it's up to me… but it's not. There is still some guard work for them to complete for the last 30 seconds or so- abouts.

Pioneer:

(sorry mike- I didn't get a picture of this- that's my bad)

If you are waiting to be surprised by a better Pioneer this year- I'm afraid you better hold out for 2011— not trying to be mean- it's just on the same level that we've seen them the last few years. I did like their song selection and theme. I thought the mic'd member saying a prayer in the middle of the show was a nice touch- got some applause. I heart Jesus and what-not so I don't have a problem with them putting out a religious message and using crosses- just don't expect any Madison '99. Pretty weak crowd response- sorry! (really not trying to be mean here- but I'm sure that's how it comes across)

Madison:

IMG_0040.JPG

IMG_0043.JPG

20 contras. OK—I didn't say this- some people sitting next to me did (intelligent and experienced DCI fans and participants) --

"I heard that 5 or 6 of their 20 contras are actually guard members who are holding the horns- not playing" I don't know if it's true or not- I'm sure it's not true- that's just what somebody said… Just FYI. They have a nice horizontal line start with a ripple flip to the front- pretty fun- I'm sure it'll get faster as the season progresses. Opener was very sharp- lots of movement- some nice new body-movement. MUSICALLY the show is very much a throwback to the late 80s and I don't mean that in a bad way- I'm just saying if you listened to this and the same show from 85 or 89 you wouldn't find any MAJOR differences in the flow of the music- for the Rhapsody part especially. I loved those shows- so I'm not complaining. Brass sounds good- I'm no brass judge- I know maybe there were some quality issues- but I liked the volume and the crowd did too. Much louder than Glassmen which of course explains the usual crowd confusion as to why Madison doesn't place higher every year… I liked the show- I don't know that it's progressive enough to challenge for a top 10 spot this year- there are lots of good things about the show—I think it is simply lacking in the DEPTH department. What you see is what you get- and that's just not enough for 2010. Sorry… geez that sounds pretty mean too- I like Madison, I promise! I will say that this is much more to my liking than last year- it's serious, it's got heart- it's something that everybody will love- it sounds great- it's worth seeing and enjoying. Some strong spontaneous crowd response at the end.

Glassmen:

IMG_0044.JPG

10 contras I think- I didn't hear the show title from the announcer, I didn't research it before, I still have no idea what it was about- not sure I even want to guess… something vague? In all fairness I would have said the same thing about the Bluecoats if I didn't know it already- this show isn't as LOUD as Madison, it's not as entertaining, it's not as accessible, but it's a vehicle that will still put them ahead of the scouts in the end because it's written for the judges- you know what I mean? There are some nice loud sustained parts- the battery was pretty solid- there's some good body movements as usual- I can't for the life of me remember much about it- the crowd booed when Madison was announced below Glassmen.

Phantom:

IMG_0048.JPG

{that's all the brass}

7 contras? Is there a contra stomach bug (I hope)? Is anybody else alarmed about this? I think the drill is written for 12, but it's hard to tell… I know it's early and many corps have come back from worse- but 6 contra holes seems like something that might actually be worth worrying about? Maybe that's just me—

IMG_0050.JPG

I'm gonna be real for you guys right now—I love phantom—I want good things to happen to phantom—truly nothing but love in my heart for them- but right now I'm scared for how this year is going to go for them. I might be the first one to say this, but I don't see this as any stronger than last year… actually, for this time last year I think 2009 was better. It's too early to tell… I like a lot of their concepts- I like what's going on- the quality and depth of the brass line is still top notch- high brass is on par with phantom lines of years past as is percussion. Many around me were vocal in their being impressed with their battery- not a percussion man myself so I trust them. It's just like… this show seems like it was WRITTEN for a 6-8 finish… I've been wrong before- and I welcome that this year- I want them to do well. My favorite parts were the very beginning and end- starting at the bottom left and top right corners, respectfully. Music is great- I'm just thinking the visual package might hold them back….

Cavies:

IMG_0054.JPG

It's different- but it's still so Cavies. 16 contras. Great sound—they must have worked on the volume issues I've read about (and totally expect for them early in the season)- because, [and I wouldn't make this up, I promise] they ACTUALLY played kinda loud. There were several points in the show where they busted out some decibels and I'm all about that… (encore was another story) --- I don't really know—it all seems really good- lots of big GE stuff… loved the intro with the full metal jacket excerpt – YES t,here is a part where every member [minus the contras] is wielding a rifle. NO, the brass members don't actually spin or throw them- but it still works for me. This show, IMO, is several degrees more ACCESSABLE than the cavies shows of the past 2 years. Audience was eating it up and there was a part about 8 minutes in that got a standing ovation- it was strong enough to where (and I wasn't really watching the time or anything) I ACTUALLY thought it was the end of their show… but there was still 2 min. Big standing-O at the end- crowd loved it. I was into it- it was good and has lots of room to grow and clean. I wouldn't put it out of the top 2 for sure, though I realize they aren't sitting there right now. I see this possibly passing Cadets from what I've seen- but who knows.

Bluecoats:

IMG_0033.JPG

Rehearsal: 16 contras- great sound/volume in horn arc. I most definitely had some ear-ringing moments several times and I loved it. I don't want to say something like "most powerful bluecoats brass line ever"… but I can tell you I've PERSONALLY never heard anything that strong from a bluecoats brass line (first coats show I saw was 2002…) They have some chops. I know last year I heard from several members that they had a ton of 1st year members—the good news for the year after that? You get a lot of people with experience! I don't know if that's really how it played out- but that's what it looked like.

Show:

IMG_0055.JPG

I really do HATE to be the guy who says how DIRTY his corps is and how much room they have to grow, bla, bla, bla…. But dang it- the FEET are OK, but the forms are really rough. It's written challenging enough to keep them pushing for the top (though in my wildest dreams I can't see them getting 1st or 2nd…. But I can still hope for 3rd!... sorry, I'm a realist) I can tell that this isn't the real final ending- crowd was a little slow getting up at the end- maybe they weren't sure it was over? This seems different than the WV show from what I read… This show is already several steps above last year- I watched an early season rehearsal last year and I can make that comparison pretty easily- much much better- I love the show- it's already my favorite since 2005. It's got some anger, energy, and PLENTY of big impact moments for sustained notes and what-not- (one thing that I think has been a little on the light side the past few years- ) I can honestly say, and this fits in with my tough but true sentiment of this post, that the past 3 years of bluecoats have failed to give me "goosebumps" … you know exactly what I mean… literal… emotional and physical goosbumps—this year—I had them early and often with this show—I love it. The music is edgy, powerful, and explosive… I can't wait to get the APD for this year and rock it out. I have a hard time seeing them over Crown, or BD, but beating Cavies, Phantom, Cadets in the end… I'd say it's possible--

Contras are out of this world—mid-show Soli to Imogean Heap's "Ah Hah" is the best I've seen since their 2007 glory. Guard was very sharp- several people around me pointed out the quality of the guard work- battery seems on par with last year- big visuals and body movement, etc- WGI-ish.

Encore:

IMG_0057.JPG

Cavies opened with MARS from their 95 show……….. played at a mf. COME ON!!!!! I was so excited to hear it start but SO SO SO let down by the lack of energy and power behind it… this is one of the most intense drum corps moments from years past and you contain the volume in leu of quality…. Really? Maybe some of them don't know their notes on that yet- it's the first encore for them so I'll cut them some slack… but how is it that some groups (Phantom, Cadets, Blue Devils) get encores so RIGHT and some get it so WRONG. This is a time to let loose and play some cool, impressive, stuff… that's what we're waiting around for… I have always wanted to hear them play that as an encore piece- guess I got what I wished for?

guys- I love drum corps- I do apologize for some of the negativity here- I guess I'm always like this early season and then everybody picks it up and by late July i remember why everything about this activity is so amazing- no disrespect meant to any of the groups.

I just watched the video from this show.....my impressions are a bit different then yours.........

Bluecoats..........good overall package, but too fragmented in arrangement style, and whereas I think that they will march very well by season's end with a good guard, I think other products with better musical continuity and completeness of musical thought will pass them. I don't see this show contending at all in August, though I think they will do ok for the 1st half of the season, and they are a good corps....

Cavaliers........I think they will march and do their visual thing real well at the end, and as always, that is their strength. They do have more brass demand then before, and finally some impact. That said, I think this show also lacks musical continuity and musical effect/appeal in places, (not throughout, though), and that will be their nemesis. However, I can see this corps performing at an extreme level by August, and will probably finish ahead of Bluecoats.

Phantom........a ton of potential here, because musically they will be stellar by the end.....you can tell the hornline is very mature, and it's a very tough, yet well-written musical book. Percussion is quite strong. Their nemesis could be the guard.....obviously not too well prepared, and I think they don't have the work or the energy that I hear out of the musicians.....if they fix that, they could be dangerous. I think the drill will be fine, and the hornline is staged for playing, which is the way it should be. This will be a corps to watch/listen to in August.

Glassmen.........I don't see this show in finals this year. The drumline is decent, and so is the guard and visual package. But the quality of brass sound wasn't on the field with the others, and the arrangements come across as a "hodgepodge" which simply do not develop that well, and thus do not generate much effect. I am sure the corps will perform well by Indy, but I can't see this musical book in finals, no matter how well they manage to perform it.

Madison..........I was stunned that Glassmen defeated them, and expect Madison to pull away from them very quickly. Mature brass sound with excellent quality, and there is zero comparison in arrangement quality, as this is simply well-written, musical, and full of effect. They are going to sell this product in a big way all season due to those factors, and should have great effect scores. I think how high they go depends on the visual product and performance. It was first show, so visual issues were evident. These guys are going to do fine, and the only question is just how high can they finish.

These were the performances that I watched thusfar, so didn't review all........

GB

I just watched the video from this show.....my impressions are a bit different then yours.........

Bluecoats..........good overall package, but too fragmented in arrangement style, and whereas I think that they will march very well by season's end with a good guard, I think other products with better musical continuity and completeness of musical thought will pass them. I don't see this show contending at all in August, though I think they will do ok for the 1st half of the season, and they are a good corps....

Cavaliers........I think they will march and do their visual thing real well at the end, and as always, that is their strength. They do have more brass demand then before, and finally some impact. That said, I think this show also lacks musical continuity and musical effect/appeal in places, (not throughout, though), and that will be their nemesis. However, I can see this corps performing at an extreme level by August, and will probably finish ahead of Bluecoats.

Phantom........a ton of potential here, because musically they will be stellar by the end.....you can tell the hornline is very mature, and it's a very tough, yet well-written musical book. Percussion is quite strong. Their nemesis could be the guard.....obviously not too well prepared, and I think they don't have the work or the energy that I hear out of the musicians.....if they fix that, they could be dangerous. I think the drill will be fine, and the hornline is staged for playing, which is the way it should be. This will be a corps to watch/listen to in August.

Glassmen.........I don't see this show in finals this year. The drumline is decent, and so is the guard and visual package. But the quality of brass sound wasn't on the field with the others, and the arrangements come across as a "hodgepodge" which simply do not develop that well, and thus do not generate much effect. I am sure the corps will perform well by Indy, but I can't see this musical book in finals, no matter how well they manage to perform it.

Madison..........I was stunned that Glassmen defeated them, and expect Madison to pull away from them very quickly. Mature brass sound with excellent quality, and there is zero comparison in arrangement quality, as this is simply well-written, musical, and full of effect. They are going to sell this product in a big way all season due to those factors, and should have great effect scores. I think how high they go depends on the visual product and performance. It was first show, so visual issues were evident. These guys are going to do fine, and the only question is just how high can they finish.

These were the performances that I watched thusfar, so didn't review all........

GB

It seems like you are under the impression that a show needs to have great musical continuity to be at the top of DCI competitively. I agree that it really should, but do you think BD last year had good musical continuity? In my opinion, there was almost none. It's probably the main reason I didn't enjoy them as much as I usually do. So to me, it seems like the current crop of judges do not put much importance in musical continuity.

they had also just relearned 70 pages of drill as well and are just now getting in new work (which hopefully be up to snuff). i definitely agree on the latter part of the highlighted comment.

Edited by chaos001

It seems like you are under the impression that a show needs to have great musical continuity to be at the top of DCI competitively. I agree that it really should, but do you think BD last year had good musical continuity? In my opinion, there was almost none. It's probably the main reason I didn't enjoy them as much as I usually do. So to me, it seems like the current crop of judges do not put much importance in musical continuity.

agreed. the sheets ay be 50/50 in ho points are assigned, but the true power is visual now

I don't know how many of you listen to DCI's Field Pass, but in their 2010 preview Michael Cesario said that he'd had a long conversation with Don whatshisname (the chief DCI judge), and when they talked about Madison in particular, he said the guy told him "I told everyone this year, it's okay to play shows without a theme - we're not going to dock points if you don't" - it sounds like they (judges that is) really are trying to encourage some real program diversity.

Mike

Agreed.....the scoring is supposed to be 50/50, but there is zero doubt that the emphasis is towards visual. I agree about your comment about last year's BD corps. Quality of arrangements simply do not come into play ANYWHERE, and it's a problem. The musical effect caption might as well have it's name changed as well. The thing that I find saddest is that a corps that plays clean, but has other musical issues, such as arrangement problems, continuity and effect problems, and lack of expression/emotion/contrast, they can still earn a very high score if their visual book is up to par. On the other hand, if a corps plays well and has a solid book, but the visual package is not happening, they are crucified across the board. Take Phantom for example.....last year, I thought the corps still played very well. I agree that they should have been hammered in visual, which they were, but they were dissed in music as well because of it, which I question.

Until the musical products are given more scrutiny, the judging will remain a problem. I will say that at the Allentown show, I thought the judges did a good job overall.........we will see how the season goes......my biggest comments here were that I felt Madison was vastly superior musically to Glassmen, to the point that I not only feel they should beat them, but they should pull away, as they are in different leagues regarding musical product. Glassmen's visual, guard, and drumline may keep them in the hunt, but I have some major issues with their book and their brass performance. I also do think that Bluecoats brass arrangements/book will not be strong enough for them to contend once everyone gets clean.

It is too early to call what judge performance will be like this season, but I do believe they blew the call between Glassmen and Madison in Louisville (not all of the panel, as I felt the effect judge had it right), and the booing that I heard about indicates others felt the same way. We will see if the shirts agree or not.

GB

Agreed.....the scoring is supposed to be 50/50, but there is zero doubt that the emphasis is towards visual. I agree about your comment about last year's BD corps. Quality of arrangements simply do not come into play ANYWHERE, and it's a problem. The musical effect caption might as well have it's name changed as well. The thing that I find saddest is that a corps that plays clean, but has other musical issues, such as arrangement problems, continuity and effect problems, and lack of expression/emotion/contrast, they can still earn a very high score if their visual book is up to par. On the other hand, if a corps plays well and has a solid book, but the visual package is not happening, they are crucified across the board. Take Phantom for example.....last year, I thought the corps still played very well. I agree that they should have been hammered in visual, which they were, but they were dissed in music as well because of it, which I question.

Until the musical products are given more scrutiny, the judging will remain a problem. I will say that at the Allentown show, I thought the judges did a good job overall.........we will see how the season goes......my biggest comments here were that I felt Madison was vastly superior musically to Glassmen, to the point that I not only feel they should beat them, but they should pull away, as they are in different leagues regarding musical product. Glassmen's visual, guard, and drumline may keep them in the hunt, but I have some major issues with their book and their brass performance. I also do think that Bluecoats brass arrangements/book will not be strong enough for them to contend once everyone gets clean.

It is too early to call what judge performance will be like this season, but I do believe they blew the call between Glassmen and Madison in Louisville (not all of the panel, as I felt the effect judge had it right), and the booing that I heard about indicates others felt the same way. We will see if the shirts agree or not.

GB

I agree with you regarding Madison and Glassmen. Night and day music continuity. I, however, believe that Bluecoats arrangements are really that good too. I also agree with your comment about Phantom last year. They were, are usual, one of the best playing yet were dumped on because of the visual. Really, the judges need to rethink how they're awarding the music side of the activity.