Madison Scouts 2010 Cymbal Discussion

Yes, he sure was. There is a person in the pit playing tympani, ergo the statement that they weren't going to have tympani in the pit was a lie.

Our OP was told that there wasn't going to be a cymbal line for 2010. Now the 2010 show is here and there are cymbals marching on the field.

lol wow :tongue:

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What lack of respect?? They told you there'd be no cymbal line, and there's no cymbal line. I'm missing the disrespect part. In my opinion, they were VERY respectful to you and the 3 other guys involved.

I guess it depends on one's definition of a cymbal line, no?

It looks like there is one for several minutes of the show. I can see merit in what he says.

That's all. :tongue:

Not at all. You accused this person of lacking integrity, class or character. You stated that either the corps had not provided him with these qualities or he was just a bad apple that wouldn't learn them, then made it clear you believed the latter. Simply because this kid shared with us his feelings on how he was treated, which is well within his right. You even called into question his current employment! All this about someone you've never met. If you don't consider your post to be an attack imagine for a moment that your own words were directed back at you. Would you honestly feel you'd deserved them? I doubt it.

Please. DCP has feature that allows you to view the post history of any member. Judging from your post I doubt that you are an alumnus, but I'd certainly call you a fan. And you're not the only fan/alum who I'd consider to be making personal attacks in this thread.

First point, I stand by my points. I don't care if this "kid shared his feelings." It was not the right way to go about it. And if he really didn't know any better, I hope he does now.

Second point, yes I know about tracking histories. My point was theoretical.

To sum up, I made observations. They were not attacks.

I AM WITH THE OP ON THIS.

I give the guy the right to expressed that he feels wronged, YOU can't take away that feeling. The poster has every right to start a thread on any topic, it will be closed, ignored or responded to. DCP decides. I empathize with his position. Have you folks asked yourselves how you would feel if you were told your section was cut only to see ANY representation on the feild when you went to watch your corps? My emotions would mirror his.

My suggestion to Scout Honks (alumni or otherwise) is to offer support, or let the thread die. Your diatribes on scoutness etc do nothing for your point. Also, don't put words in the OP's mouth, how many times can the guy offer his rational, only to have one or two words highlighted and repeated over an over?

My suggestion to the cymbal player is to know that some have been in your position and survived, even thrived. For every opportunity that is lost, new opportunities are presented....keep your eyes open. You and your buddies will have some great stories to tell at the 20th Anniversary of making back into finals.

edit: Have you thought about offering your services to a young corps line? A guy with your skills could march inside another cymbal line and teach by example....that would be a priceless gift to aspiring cymbal players.

Edited by jonnyboy

So a tympani player is cut because they aren't going to have tympani in the pit anymore. But in the next season's show there is a single tympani drum next to a marimba which is played a couple of times by that marimba player. Was the tympani player lied to?

You're grasping at straws...

Yes he would but u believe he would have been informed that there would be a small shared part

Ironic for a corps that thumps it's chest about "brotherhood", no?

^^^^^^see, this is exactly the kind of stuff I was referring to. And this coming from a "forum support team" member. Disappointing.

A couple months after the 2009 season ended i recieved a call that the scouts would not be fielding cymbals for the 2009 season. Now to see them having them on the field i feel lied to by the corps i call my home. and it is the ultimate middle finger to me and my three other brothers.

I don't see the problem here, they told you they weren't going to march a cymbal line and they are not marching a cymbal line. A few guard members playing cymbals for 1:00 of the show is not marching a cymbal line.

Would you have marched if they said that they would march a cymbal line but for only 1:00 of the show? Maybe you should've taken a guard spot so you could play cymbals.

I'll ask the OP, again, what you want from the organization or the alumni, or in general. What can be done to make this "right" in your eyes?

Your position has been abundantly clear since the first post . . .but if you're only here to berate the same point over and over, without some sort of avenue for discussion . . .I really don't think we're going to accomplish a lot with this thread.

As an additional observation, we're coming dangerously close to having to close this. Folks, let's try to tamp down the snark at each other. It doesn't accomplish anything but to raise hackles and loses sight of the original issue.

I don't see the problem here, they told you they weren't going to march a cymbal line and they are not marching a cymbal line. A few guard members playing cymbals for 1:00 of the show is not marching a cymbal line.

Would you have marched if they said that they would march a cymbal line but for only 1:00 of the show? Maybe you should've taken a guard spot so you could play cymbals.

I see it as a cymbal line. Maybe they could have come out for only those 60 or so seconds and played and then done something else in the show.

Phantom has their Spirit guide, who only plays solos for major parts of their show, which I bet will change...

Point is that these member could have done other things in the show.