Standings!

It is rare indeed where the judges scores and placements will be what the majority of fans would have have the placements, scores and spreads, Randy. Nobody REALLY understands the judging process. No matter if they have been a fan for 1 year or 50 years. Only the judges know the process. And even among themselves they oftentimes disagree. We had judges in the stands a few days ago as spectators reportedly tell a fan sitting beside them that their placements that nite would have been much different than the judges working the show that nite and evaluating the shows from only feet away in the booth. So my suggestion would be to just enjoy the shows, as from a fan's perspective, most of the time, the placements and spreads will seem incomprehensible to you. That said, enjoy the season !. They'll be some GREAT shows put on this year !

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking about the rankings posted on DCP, not how the shows are judged (I've lurked this forum enough in the past years to know not to broach that subject :thumbup: ).

It just appears that those corps who appeared in the WV show where there is a missing set of recaps have weighted scores (on DCP) that are about 2/3 of the other corps. For instance: Crown and Cadets. It seems the Overall scores are correct, but let's take Overall Music Caption scores. If you use the weightings posted on DCP and take the last 3 shows for CC and Cadets (FirstBeat, WV, and Normal) and give them both zeroes for the WV show, you will get something close to the weighted score shown on DCP.

Ex: Crown: 31.7*0.5 + 0.0*0.25 + 30.1*0.25 = 23.375 (compare to 23.405)

If you give them a reasonable Music score for WV (29-30), then they both shoot up to near the top (where I'm thinking they should be).

Ex: Cadets: 31.0*0.5 + 30.0*0.25 + 30.3*0.25 = 30.575 (compare to 22.980)

[i hope my math is right!!!] It just appears that the missing WV recaps are not being reflected in the weighted scores and those corps who marched WV are not getting their true rankings. Am I making sense here or am I still missing something?

And, yes--there are/will be some GREAT shows this year. Can't wait to see one in person!

thanks,

randy

Edited by CrownBariDad

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP please update and stay on this. It's starting to look like 9 corps are within 3 pts of each other .... haven't really checked all the other scores yet, just basing this on Boston and PR being within 3 pts of crown right now.