1/2 Glassmen All Star Review

Unfortunately I was only able to stay for the first 3 corps. My tickets were free so it wasn't that big of a deal.

First of the night was the student leadership of the BGSU Falcon Marching Band playing the SSB. I was in it! Unfortunately the first (and probably any) notes I will have played at a DCI show were on a tenor saxophone. Oops.

Anyways here's some short thoughts on the corps:

Teal Sound: In the Presence of Enemies

* Arrangements threw me off since I am so used to hearing the original works, but most people will probably enjoy it regardless.

* Balance was a HUGE problem tonight, especially in the pit. The mallets barely cut through at all, and the guitar/synth raped everything.

* Not sure how they are going to pull GE out of their title "In the Presence of Enemies" other than it being the title of the opener.

* The drill seems too flowing and not angry enough considering the source material.

* I REALLY dug the battery lead-in after the closer as they come in at a different tempo (A'la 1993 Cadets)

* A possible semifinalist if the designers tweak the flow of the show and the performers clean/clean/clean.

Pioneer: Corps Prayer

* The audience clapped along with the preshow and I loved it!

* I was distracted by one of the members being late to get up for the opening hit, so it didn't catch me like it should have. Once it's done well it'll definitely be a great moment for them.

* The programming seems too ambitious for the talent level of the corps sometimes. If they clean it up it'll be great...but if it's too much then we might not get anywhere competitively. The later tunes just sounded like a "baby Lassiter 2002" or "baby Madison 1989" to me.

* Personally I'm not a fan of using a cross as a prop in a show (Star 91 included), though I have no problem with it being a drill set (Star 91 included). It just seems tacky for me, but I'm sure lots of people appreciate the physical symbol.

* If it's clean it could definitely challenge for Semis...but I just don't think their talent level can handle it. I'd love to be proven wrong!

Bones: Full Circle

* Aaron Guidry is a great arranger...just not for the Crossmen. After half a decade of hearing his arrangements with the Xmen I really feel like his arrangements just don't fit the corps identity (or what I personally am used to hearing as the "Crossmen sound".) If Wayne Downey arranged for the Cadets I feel like people would have the same problem I'm having with Guidry. :tongue:

* Those Guard uniforms aren't very flattering for the members. Wedgies EVERYWHERE.

* Unfortunately not a very memorable show for me...I think arrangements are part of that problem.

* The hornline DID sound very good and full throughout the show regardless of what I felt about the program.

General comment of the night

If my colorguard instructors didn't have work done for the entire show by the time the first show rolled around I would not pay them a dime for the summer. I absolutely HATE watching colorguards march around with flags in their hands and smiles on their faces NOT doing any work. All 3 of these corps didn't have work done at the end of the show and it completely killed the mood.

Edited by NR_Ohiobando

Unfortunately I was only able to stay for the first 3 corps. My tickets were free so it wasn't that big of a deal.

First of the night was the student leadership of the BGSU Falcon Marching Band playing the SSB. I was in it! Unfortunately the first (and probably any) notes I will have played at a DCI show were on a tenor saxophone. Oops.

Anyways here's some short thoughts on the corps:

Teal Sound: In the Presence of Enemies

* Arrangements threw me off since I am so used to hearing the original works, but most people will probably enjoy it regardless.

* Balance was a HUGE problem tonight, especially in the pit. The mallets barely cut through at all, and the guitar/synth raped everything.

* Not sure how they are going to pull GE out of their title "In the Presence of Enemies" other than it being the title of the opener.

* The drill seems too flowing and not angry enough considering the source material.

* I REALLY dug the battery lead-in after the closer as they come in at a different tempo (A'la 1993 Cadets)

* A possible semifinalist if the designers tweak the flow of the show and the performers clean/clean/clean.

Pioneer: Corps Prayer

* The audience clapped along with the preshow and I loved it!

* I was distracted by one of the members being late to get up for the opening hit, so it didn't catch me like it should have. Once it's done well it'll definitely be a great moment for them.

* The programming seems too ambitious for the talent level of the corps sometimes. If they clean it up it'll be great...but if it's too much then we might not get anywhere competitively. The later tunes just sounded like a "baby Lassiter 2002" or "baby Madison 1989" to me.

* Personally I'm not a fan of using a cross as a prop in a show (Star 91 included), though I have no problem with it being a drill set (Star 91 included). It just seems tacky for me, but I'm sure lots of people appreciate the physical symbol.

* If it's clean it could definitely challenge for Semis...but I just don't think their talent level can handle it. I'd love to be proven wrong!

Bones: Full Circle

* Aaron Guidry is a great arranger...just not for the Crossmen. After half a decade of hearing his arrangements with the Xmen I really feel like his arrangements just don't fit the corps identity (or what I personally am used to hearing as the "Crossmen sound".) If Wayne Downey arranged for the Cadets I feel like people would have the same problem I'm having with Guidry. :tongue:

* Those Guard uniforms aren't very flattering for the members. Wedgies EVERYWHERE.

* Unfortunately not a very memorable show for me...I think arrangements are part of that problem.

* The hornline DID sound very good and full throughout the show regardless of what I felt about the program.

General comment of the night

If my colorguard instructors didn't have work done for the entire show by the time the first show rolled around I would not pay them a dime for the summer. I absolutely HATE watching colorguards march around with flags in their hands and smiles on their faces NOT doing any work. All 3 of these corps didn't have work done at the end of the show and it completely killed the mood.

this made me laugh. was it like they kept fixing the uniform during the show or something you just noticed

this made me laugh. was it like they kept fixing the uniform during the show or something you just noticed

haha

The uniforms are really tight on the members so all you see from the stands whenever they turn around is the tight outline of a butt. Luckily none of them look disgusting, but as a straight man I can't help but feel bad for the guys in those uniforms. Think "Cavaliers 03" with better colors. :tongue:

Hey NR_Ohiobando, very nice job to you and the BGSU leadership band for the national anthem. That was very well played, and I love the trumpet descant on the last strain. Too bad you had to leave the show.

haha

The uniforms are really tight on the members so all you see from the stands whenever they turn around is the tight outline of a butt. Luckily none of them look disgusting, but as a straight man I can't help but feel bad for the guys in those uniforms. Think "Cavaliers 03" with better colors. :tongue:

Pictures ??

Hey NR_Ohiobando, very nice job to you and the BGSU leadership band for the national anthem. That was very well played, and I love the trumpet descant on the last strain. Too bad you had to leave the show.

Thanks! For the life of me I can't remember the arranger's name right now, but I'm pretty sure he has done most of the traditional things BGSU's band plays.

And for the record, my uncle is a HUGE Mount Union fan (and alum) and he loves watching the band there too.

Pictures ??

Per PepsimanAB's album

P1000196.JPG