The OFFICIAL 2010 Blue Devils Thread

I just don't know about the 2010 show-

I like the Music in the beginning- but there is about a 5-6 minute span before a reprise of the same music at the end. (Which is cool) There is just too much blandness and utter confusion.

But visually I think they keep pushing the envelope- very cool stuff.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, when we talk about loud brass lines, no other Corps in my opinion plays louder, but still retains good pitch, balance and intonation.

Have you seen BD yet this year? They're playing on a new set of King instruments. They are louder than past years (and IMO, better balanced). On the other hand, when I saw them in Denver, their intonation was well below the norm for DCI world-class. I'm sure it will improve, but right now there are at least 14 corps playing more in tune than BD (haven't seen everyone yet).

Something I heard on the APD that I didn't notice from VOD - the little El Congo Valiente snippet. Pretty cool.

I also like the fact that the only time no corps member is reflected in the mirrors is at the very end of the show. Nothing earth-shattering or anything, just kinda neat.

Have you seen BD yet this year? They're playing on a new set of King instruments. They are louder than past years (and IMO, better balanced). On the other hand, when I saw them in Denver, their intonation was well below the norm for DCI world-class. I'm sure it will improve, but right now there are at least 14 corps playing more in tune than BD (haven't seen everyone yet).

That's interesting.. I was in Denver and thought the opposite. I thought for the first time in a long while, the BD line was pretty in-tune , balanced and very loud for July. I also tried to take into account that in that weather, the pit temperature jumped a bit and I tried to focus on the hornline proper and not be distracted by the overwhelmingly loud pit at times. I know it's got to be hard tuning to such an amped up pit where the pitch variances can be really noticeable on a cold or hot night.

There were some pitch issues with all of the corps given the temp, but I thought BD was one of the best that evening. I have actually heard the whole World Class this season and there are very few sounding as good or better than BD, IMO. If any corps takes tuning seriously and knows how to play in-tune, it's them.

Playing thick jazz chords tend to give less of that "ring" that we usually hear from corps like Phantom and Crown, who play in Bb and Eb major a lot (great keys for volume and intonation, but somewhat vanilla at times..). Once BD gets all the 9th and 11th chords and other extensions to ring true, it will be much more noticeable how well they are really playing at this point.

Edited by trumpetcam

<Couldn't disagree more with the bold items. BD's show design this year is just horrid IMO. The show makes absolutely no sense, and the music book sounds like someone sneezed black ink onto a sheet of paper.>

Mr/s. Mathis, your hyperbole is noted. You should know that such 'zero star' reviews smack of bias...and seeing as how you have a picture of Crown's summer tour badge...and cite Crown's past achievements...I (and many others here) can only assume you're making a clumsy attempt at discrediting those that your corps has yet to match...or beat.

Ah maturity...it doth take time...

When Crown has roundly and soundly beaten BD, then publicly be magnanimous in your praise for your opponent, and save the negatives for the beer tap after retreat.

<Couldn't disagree more with the bold items. BD's show design this year is just horrid IMO. The show makes absolutely no sense, and the music book sounds like someone sneezed black ink onto a sheet of paper.>

Mr/s. Mathis, your hyperbole is noted. You should know that such 'zero star' reviews smack of bias...and seeing as how you have a picture of Crown's summer tour badge...and cite Crown's past achievements...I (and many others here) can only assume you're making a clumsy attempt at discrediting those that your corps has yet to match...or beat.

Ah maturity...it doth take time...

When Crown has roundly and soundly beaten BD, then publicly be magnanimous in your praise for your opponent, and save the negatives for the beer tap after retreat.

So only BD fans are allowed into the discussion of BD's show.

Got it.

That's interesting.. I was in Denver and thought the opposite. I thought for the first time in a long while, the BD line was pretty in-tune , balanced and very loud for July. I also tried to take into account that in that weather, the pit temperature jumped a bit and I tried to focus on the hornline proper and not be distracted by the overwhelmingly loud pit at times. I know it's got to be hard tuning to such an amped up pit where the pitch variances can be really noticeable on a cold or hot night.

There were some pitch issues with all of the corps given the temp,

Seriously? Temperature was in the low-to-mid 70s throughout the event....no sudden changes. The corps I had seen previously had better results regarding tuning in the Denver weather.

but I thought BD was one of the best that evening.

They do have mature, talented players, so as you would expect, within sections they are in agreement with each other. However, sections clashed with each other from the very start with the opening trumpet/baritone soloists. Baris/euphs in particular have several notes that were consistently off (that consistency is what makes me think they're capable of improving things).

Anyhow, the APDs are up there, so everyone is welcome to judge for themselves.