Stanford Review

My name is Danayle Royescoione and I am the ultimate Drum Corps judge. I will be attending the show on July 3rd and bring resolution to this dispute. All opinions are irrelevant next to mine.

This is the law because I say it is.

Love the picture.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr. Shields,

I was actually shocked and, at the same time, embarrased for you about your rant. I've been listening to "Adult Music" for 50 years, have loved many, many SCV shows over the years, and appreciate their willingness to take up "esoteric" music and dispense it to the drum corps community.

But your rant is one of the most childish I've read in DCP. Your passion for music seems to have taken over your sensibilities to the point of absurdity (hat tip to BD).

Your post is akin to me ranting at every non-drum corps person because they aren't "mature" enough to understand the deeper meaning of drum corps. I sure as heck am in no position to call them shallow, or immature, or "...of a cloistered mind". Yet you feel free to do so in this thread.

There's lots of modern "classical" writing that I don't appreciate. It doesn't make me a shallow knucklehead. Bartok has merit, certainly, but he's hardly the pinnacle of symphonic writing. His writing is no more "universal" than Beethoven was...um, several years earlier. Bartok as a "universal landmark" of classical music? Please.

You need to take a step back and give others the ability to disagree with your view, and recognize that not everyone who disagrees with your opinion is some stone-headed cretan.

"Shallow", "Careless", "Stretch your sleeping brain", "Ya Rubes", "brains attached", "souls engaged", "stand up in pride and intelligence", "like a thoughtful grown-up", "like a thoughtful grown-up" (again), "Try waking up your mind a little next time -- it's actually not so hard".

You surely win the prize for the most personal attacks in two posts!

"Why shouldn't someone who actually cares about good work be ###### at you?" Well, I care, "passionatly" about good classical music and I'm not ###### at him.

I'm more ###### at you for typing such a pompous and insulting post on DCP, and in an opinion thread, to boot.

Now that you've calmed down a bit, how about expressing some apology to the many here you've felt comfortable tearing apart.

If you were hoping DCPers were "going down on [their] knees in worship" of your "review and opinion" I suspect you'll be sadly disappointed with it's results.

:sad:

Give the kid a break he just finished his first semester of music theory :wub: ...he's excited!

did you go to the BD school of attacking anyone that doesnt gush about your show?

You may not have heard this Jeff... very sad story... the Governor has closed that school...lack of funding! :thumbup:

But really......there is a lot to gush about!

This is one of the best posts I have ever read on DCP. If all true drum corps fans actually read this and tried to understand what this person is saying with an open mind, I guarantee they would be a "better" drum corps fan. And by that I mean..... enjoy and appreciate many more of the shows these designers and young adults work countless hours to present us for our viewing and listening pleasure.

I know some people (maybe many people) would label the above poster as "elitist" or whatever..... but I strongly challenge those people to re-read what he has written with an open-mind...... try to see things from a different perspective..... realize that the human mind can be stimulated in many more ways than we can even imagine......

.. :thumbup:

We all have preferences and each may decide for themselves how to invest their energy and dollars.

That said I agree that if DC were left up to some we'd hear the Scouts play Ernesto Lecuona's Malaguena (which I do enjoy like the next fan) every other year.

The point is we grow our tastes when exposed to different forms of music.

I for one would never of my own free will have bought a copy of Ron Nelson's Rocky Point Holiday without hearing the Garfield Cadets play that in 1982.

.. :thumbup:

We all have preferences and each may decide for themselves how to invest their energy and dollars.

That said I agree that if DC were left up to some we'd hear the Scouts play Ernesto Lecuona's Malaguena (which I do enjoy like the next fan) every other year.

I for one would never of my own free will have bought a copy of Ron Nelson's Rocky Point Holiday without hearing the Garfield Cadets play that in 1982.

Never knew what Crown Imperial was unitl I heard Lancers do it in 81...I remember saying "This isnt what they played last year" ...I was such a rookie !! Ha

G

Never knew what Crown Imperial was unitl I heard Lancers do it in 81...I remember saying "This isnt what they played last year" ...I was such a rookie !! Ha

G

G - Yep, I still miss that and Danny Boy.

The late 70s Celebrate did not really do it for me (wack a mole, wack a mole duh-da-da-da-duh, repeat, repeat...).

.. :thumbdown:

Well said...I think the majority of classical music that I like was introduced to me through drum corps...then, I'd go out and get a symphony recording of the work. I don't think I ever would've discovered my 2nd favorite song (Belshazzar's Feast) if it wasn't for DC.