Stanford Review

I hate to say it....I'm uninspired to see a show. SCV's not finished? That's not classy to me. Sorry.

I've seen a couple of videos online, considered going to Stanford but just was not motivated to drive an hour+ to hear music that doesn't inspire me plus an incomplete show from one of the shows hosts. That's ridiculous.

After reading some of the reviews, thought about doing Stockton. But, don't feel like driving through the Delta on a work night. I don't know, I'm disappointed. I really like seeing drum corps but I find that I don't like the music anymore.

For me it's always been about "that sound" and driving music. With prices and driving distances, "that sound" isn't going to make me go to shows if I just sit there thinking "well, they're certainly talented but I don't like the cut/paste method of design".

I don't know.

I don't get it.

Edited by TrainWreck

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shame on all of you for reacting to SCV that way.

"Esoteric" music? "Boring"??? WHAT?!!

(Do you even know what the word "esoteric" means, or is that just some vague cloudy term you throw around when you have a vague cloudy reaction to anything that asks for a teensy amount of extra attention from you?)

Look guys -- if you are musicians or music lovers, you have absolutely no business not jumping up and down in glee, and going down on your knees in worship to SCV this year.

It's the friggin Bartok Concerto for Orchestra -- it's one of the greatest pieces of music ever written, ya know? It's not "esoteric", it's a universal landmark in music. It's actually being handed to you on a silver platter, with the greatest of care and preparation. It's a frigging masterpiece, and you can't even be bothered to stretch your sleepy brain up enough to pay attention for once? Well, to hell with ya.

It's grown-up music. It's a 7-course dinner, not a hamburger. Quit looking for the goddam ketchup, ya rubes!

This Vanguard show is one of the best things they've ever done, and deserves an audience with their brains attached and their souls fully engaged. It will be those listeners, the real ones, who will be on their feet when SCV puts it all together.

If you're left in the dust, well, your loss.

Okay, done with my venting. *deep breaths...lol...*

Shame on all of you for reacting to SCV that way.

"Esoteric" music? "Boring"??? WHAT?!!

(Do you even know what the word "esoteric" means, or is that just some vague cloudy term you throw around when you have a vague cloudy reaction to anything that asks for a teensy amount of extra attention from you?)

Look guys -- if you are musicians or music lovers, you have absolutely no business not jumping up and down in glee, and going down on your knees in worship to SCV this year.

It's the friggin Bartok Concerto for Orchestra -- it's one of the greatest pieces of music ever written, ya know? It's not "esoteric", it's a universal landmark in music. It's actually being handed to you on a silver platter, with the greatest of care and preparation. It's a frigging masterpiece, and you can't even be bothered to stretch your sleepy brain up enough to pay attention for once? Well, to hell with ya.

It's grown-up music. It's a 7-course dinner, not a hamburger. Quit looking for the goddam ketchup, ya rubes!

This Vanguard show is one of the best things they've ever done, and deserves an audience with their brains attached and their souls fully engaged. It will be those listeners, the real ones, who will be on their feet when SCV puts it all together.

If you're left in the dust, well, your loss.

Okay, done with my venting. *deep breaths...lol...*

You know what...I think you've done it...yelling at me and the forum sure has made me more of a fan! :rolleyes:

I hate to say it....I'm uninspired to see a show. SCV's not finished? That's not classy to me. Sorry.

I've seen a couple of videos online, considered going to Stanford but just was not motivated to drive an hour+ to hear music that doesn't inspire me plus an incomplete show from one of the shows hosts. That's ridiculous.

After reading some of the reviews, thought about doing Stockton. But, don't feel like driving through the Delta on a work night. I don't know, I'm disappointed. I really like seeing drum corps but I find that I don't like the music anymore.

For me it's always been about "that sound" and driving music. With prices and driving distances, "that sound" isn't going to make me go to shows if I just sit there thinking "well, they're certainly talented but I don't like the cut/paste method of design".

I don't know.

I don't get it.

Well you blew it.

Finished or not, SCV's show is the killer musical/visual experience of the year. Just being anywhere near it, and getting drawn into its spell, was a privilege I would happily have paid and driven double for.

Too bad for you.

You know what...I think you've done it...yelling at me and the forum sure has made me more of a fan! :rolleyes:

I'm actually a pretty nice guy. I just needed to vent, because you forced it out of me. But at least I did justify my (partially exaggerated) anger.

You've got to understand that music is a life passion, and it goes a lot deeper than "entertainment" for anyone with any depth of humanity. You know that. You're on a musical forum here -- there's no way you don't have some kind of passionate attachment to music.

I couldn't care less whether you're a fan or not as a result of some stranger's forum rant, but you should know you can't go casually trashing masterpieces without expecting a passionate reaction.

Further, when you have shallow and careless reactions like that to works that are new to you, then post them as "reviews", you know you are directly discouraging others from hearing it for themselves. This verges on a criminal act of vandalism, to anyone who plays, teaches, and loves music.

Why couldn't you be bothered to mention the truth -- that Santa Clara's show is something different? It's beautifully designed to pull you forward, wake up your ears, and make you listen and watch with more involvement? It's a whole symphony of great images and musical detail, played to perfection. Why didn't you say a single thing about the Bartok Concerto for Orchestra, which is one of the greatest and spookiest works of the 20th century, and how SCV has found their way into it?

In other words, why didn't you accept the challenge, stand up in pride and intelligence, and respond to it in detail, like a thoughtful grown-up?

Instead, you made it sound as though you sat there in a weird cloud of attention-deficit distraction, waiting for them to throw candy or something.

This is a "review"?!

Why shouldn't someone who actually cares about good work be ###### at you?

You know better. Try waking up your mind a little next time -- it's actually not so hard.

There's no other way for me to put it. I'm sorry.

Edited by IanKShields

I also watched on the Fan Network and thought Vanguard was incredible - it's probably a matter of tatse - but I was amazed by their show and can't wait to see the finished product.

later,

Mike

Ditto!

I guess they've got about a minute's worth of show remaining un-shown, judging by my clock last night.

It's already a thing of beauty though, ain't it? ... wow!

:)))

Frankly - my statement is simple and clear. I don't like the show. I don't like the fact a corps can't have a finished show, let alone their home show.

I certainly don't need to be chastised for my opinion.

Read this loud and clear - I don't like the show. I decided not to go to the two shows because I don't like the shows. That's about $300-400 with the price of tickets, concessions, souvie purchases for me and my family. I'm sure I'm not the only one not attending shows.

Go ahead and challenge my opinion and my lack of desire to see todays drum corps. My statement is simple and clear. I did not go because I did not like the shows that I saw and heard. Perhaps somebody else bought the tickets that I would've bought.

Edited by TrainWreck

Finished or not, SCV's show is the killer musical/visual experience of the year. Just being anywhere near it, and getting drawn into its spell, was a privilege I would happily have paid and driven double for.

Consider this then. Go to shows with the knowledge I won't be attending and be sure to buy 4 extra seats. You know, for the privilege.

Frankly - my statement is simple and clear. I don't like the show. I don't like the fact a corps can't have a finished show, let alone their home show.

I certainly don't need to be chastised for my opinion.

Read this loud and clear - I don't like the show. I decided not to go to the two shows because I don't like the shows. That's about $300-400 with the price of tickets, concessions, souvie purchases for me and my family. I'm sure I'm not the only one not attending shows.

Go ahead and challenge my opinion and my lack of desire to see todays drum corps. My statement is simple and clear. I did not go because I did not like the shows that I saw and heard. Perhaps somebody else bought the tickets that I would've bought.

Too expensive, I can definitely understand. ($300-$400 dollars? Wow!)

But, I'm puzzled about the other part -- you said you "don't like the show", but didn't see the show. Which "show" are you talking about? The one you missed?

Are we clairvoyant?

:rolleyes: Maybe it was just a typo.

Anyway, either way, I'm amazed you could manage to have an actual bad time at something as fun as a drum corps contest. But if it's actually that expensive, it's easy to see why you'd be hesitant, regardless of your musical objections.

Consider this then. Go to shows with the knowledge I won't be attending and be sure to buy 4 extra seats. You know, for the privilege.

I will buy eight of them, for the benefit of my young drum students, who will be happily and intelligently talking about SCV's "Bartok" for the rest of the week.

And, do enjoy your Miley Cyrus concert. I understand there's free all-u-can-eat bubblegum at the venue.

:rolleyes: