Bridgeport Reviews - Post them here!

There was a fife & drum group (sorry I missed where they were from) that was on while I was trying to tend to my screaming child. What I heard was excellent stuff. That sort of entertainment is not usually my cup of tea, but they're style and performance level made them more engaging to a casual fan such as myself.

I tend to like "modern" drum corps who like to do things a little differently, push the envelope, whatever you want to call it, but these guys were just awesome. Next time, let your wife take care of the baby when these guys are on. (Don't tell my wife I said that :rolleyes: )

Thanks for the honest review. The everyone-was-great reviews are a waste of everyone's time. Keep 'em coming.

Edited by alexnielsen

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sayre,

Thank you for your very honest critique for all of the performing drum corps at the Bridgeport Show.

This was our first field performance of the season, and we are very proud of what we accomplished! In fact, I am extremely proud of our entire corps! And it's always very nice to receive a congratulatory handshake from the Ringmaster himself! Thank you, Tom Santa! That was a first!

I can assure you that any issues which emanated from the brass line in Bridgeport (as you pointed out) will most definitely be corrected by our next performance at the TOS in Bayonne, on Saturday, July 17th. That is a promise.

Also, thank you for mentioning the first standing ovation of the evening, but you neglected to mention that we received a lot more than just one. Just sayin'. : )

A BIG THANK YOU TO JAY MORLOT, AND THE BUSHWACKERS FOR THE USE OF YOUR PODIUM!!! IT WAS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Thanks to the Barnum Committee for inviting us back to the show, and to my good friend, Ace Holleran, for his outstanding performance as show announcer, as always!!! I love his exuberance! Keep up the great work, Ace!!!

Congratulations to the Reading Buccaneers on their second victory of the season!!! I haven't seen anyone's show just yet, but I'm looking forward to doing so very soon!

And finally...thanks to all of the fans for expressing your feelings so fervently during our performance in Bridgeport! Your enthusiasm, and excitement helped to make our performance "one for the books" for the Bridgemen, and especially for this old drum major!

We had an absolute blast!

Have a great season, everyone!

Jim Jordan

Drum Major/Bayonne Bridgemen

Jimmy, you guys always rock the house. It's always good, IMHO, to have units that put the pedal to the metal and not have to worry about scores. Thanks for your corps' guts, attitude and sheer fun factor.

Ace

The Bucs absolutely floored me. This show is SO well-planned, SO wrought with emotion and SO easy to grasp that I just stood there and kvelled. The visual complements the audio so well, it's scary. As I said in another thread, this is my favorite program in the Ruocco era. Effortless segues in a Respighi sandwich, with a creamy, oh-so elegant Khachaturian filling. Yes, the Adagio was superb, with ensemble brass to die for.

I'm not about scores or predicting that no one will touch this corps this year. But I will tell you this, if you have 10 cc's of dc blood in your system, YOU MUST SEE THIS CORPS.

I'm not going overboard when I say that the kids from Pretzeltown entertained me, drained me and maimed me. In the best way possible. Early-season or not, this was one of the finest performances I have ever witnessed, any circuit, anywhere, any month. I could go another few hundred words here.

And to think that just the week before, the general consensus was Cabs/Bucs in a pick 'em. Must have been a helluva week of practice.... Edited by VOReason

I tend to like "modern" drum corps who like to do things a little differently, push the envelope, whatever you want to call it, but these guys were just awesome. Next time, let your wife take care of the baby when these guys are on. (Don't tell my wife I said that :rolleyes: )

Thanks for the honest review. The everyone-was-great reviews are a waste of everyone's time. Keep 'em coming.

yes they were awesome!....they are "The United States Army Old Guard Fife Drum & Bugle Corps"......precision personified ! Thanks to those who took time to write their impressions.

Great review Sayre, but might I add, you said for Cabs drum line to calm down, you said this last year and all but 2 of our snares marched last year so I think maybe you are confused. I think it's our technique that may lead you to believe we are not 'calm'. We certainly play with an aggressive stroke, more velocity, and higher heights than a lot others (I believe). This may lead you to believe we are over hyping. Or we may indeed be over hyping!

Thanks for your honest review, a great read!

Now - let me make some bold observations. I think the judges have lost their minds over the past two shows. There was NO WAY ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH that the Cabs should have beaten the Hurricanes last night. There was also NO WAY ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH that the Hurricane's guard should have been any other place except numero uno. Fpor the record, hear were my scores (using the same sheets as the DCA judges):

Bucs.........80.225

Hurcs........76.325

Cabs.........73.225

Bush.........70.350

Fusion.......64.150

Gold..........63.325

Again - these are just my un-biased, un-filtered, un-censored opinions. Take them with a grain of salt. Please do not take offense at them, I don't mean to p*** anybody off, but I think the good 'ol "everyone was great" reviews don't really do much for anyone.

PS - don't bother sending me hate mail or flaming me on here - I simply don't care.

It's probably because I'm old but I found your review more interesting as a psychological study than as a review. You seem like you want or need a fight. It's like watching John Goodman in "The Big Lebowski"... don't get me wrong - you certainly have the right to any opinion you want to post - it's just interesting to read the "C'mon - knock this chip off my shoulder..." Please don't confuse this with hate mail or flaming. I just think you're interesting, in a clinical sort of way... I feel like asking ... "so how old were you when you realized you were the only one who know anything about pretty much everything?"

There may be pills for this... stay hopeful.

It's probably because I'm old but I found your review more interesting as a psychological study than as a review. You seem like you want or need a fight. It's like watching John Goodman in "The Big Lebowski"... don't get me wrong - you certainly have the right to any opinion you want to post - it's just interesting to read the "C'mon - knock this chip off my shoulder..." Please don't confuse this with hate mail or flaming. I just think you're interesting, in a clinical sort of way... I feel like asking ... "so how old were you when you realized you were the only one who know anything about pretty much everything?"

There may be pills for this... stay hopeful.

Ray, it's more like I feel the need to post 7 or 8 disclaimers when I know I'm posting something that goes against the grain of public opinion. No interest in fighting. I'm a lover, not a fighter anyway. Maybe my wording was a little harsh in some cases and I tried to explain that I was exhausted (running on less than 3 good hours of sleep), so I apologize if you were upset by my opinions, but they're just that... opinions. If it makes you sleep better at night, go ahead and remember that it is fact YOU that knows everything about everything.

Great review Sayre, but might I add, you said for Cabs drum line to calm down, you said this last year and all but 2 of our snares marched last year so I think maybe you are confused. I think it's our technique that may lead you to believe we are not 'calm'. We certainly play with an aggressive stroke, more velocity, and higher heights than a lot others (I believe). This may lead you to believe we are over hyping. Or we may indeed be over hyping!

Thanks for your honest review, a great read!

I know where you're coming from, Joe. I have no problem with aggressive playing. It's always been my style too. What I was referring to with "over-hyping" is when a player or ensemble is SO aggressive that they lose control and therefore clarity. Like I said to a few others, it's nothing personal. I really dig Cabs show this year and I may have been harsh because I honestly thought the corps performed a more controlled and cleaner show in Wildwood. There were a lot of mistakes in Bridgeport that weren't there in Wildwood. From watching the performance, it just seemed like Cabs and Bush were both maybe trying a little too hard to max stuff out and came off a little dirty here and there. That's all. No biggie - brush it off and get it next week.

Again - as I've said literally dozens of times on DCP - this is my opinion. That plus $ .69 will get you a cup of coffee at McDonald's.

Great review Sayre, hopefully no one sends you hate mail for being honest. That is what reviews are all about!

THANKS FOR THE COMMENTS since I am a new member of the bushwackers you are completely right hope you like our voodoo dance in movement 2 we have a very complicated show & its only a matter of getting better but we have a very dedicated group of musicians & guard members that will not quite we take pride in our performance & hope everyone enjoys the show :tongue:

Sayre,

You have to call 'em as you see 'em. I appreciate your honesty and candor. I too am tired of the "everyone was great" review, when not all are. Thanks for taking the time to offer a review.

Ace,

Thank you for your review as well.

I appreciate the time and effort.

I know I'm stating the obvious, when I say that the Bucs are dominating early, but, HOLY COW! In their previous five championship seasons they have not been this dominating, this early. Looking forward to the Lewisburg show: Bush, Empire, Hurrcs, Cabs and Bucs. Should be a good one!