Bridgeport Reviews - Post them here!

my problem is people want reviews, then when they see something they don't like or agree with...even if they weren't there...they jump all over the reviewer.

then reviewers stop reviewing.

and people ##### that no one reviews

I usually write about five reviews per year , this year I will be doing as you predicted.

I do not have the musical background of Sayre Kos , so I usually write a little more fluffy. I find that reading his reviews gives more of a feel for what went on then praising everybody and then unleashing inuendo about DCA and the adjudicary.

I don't see any evidence of vitriol from old guys ( like myself ) , maybe a dose of objectivity but that seems to be unpopular these days.

I think reviewing is hazardous to your health for a few reasons:

Trolls are everywhere looking to start some controversey

On the DCI side folks refer to some posters as " Borgs " - they dispute any comment their corps is put in a less than perfect manner = they always claim to have no affiliation whatsoever - yet they know inner details about " their corps"

On the DCA side I am of the humble opinion that some corps staff subscibe to the perception is reality position . and feel it is necessary to influence the playing field - and that it will help their scores

Sadly for me the days when I could feel as if I had been at a show ( when i couldn't ) are over.

Thanks Sayre for speaking your mind.

Edited by fecontra

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mentioned his in the other forum but find its as relevant here as well:

I think the usefulness of this thread has run its course. Point is.. some where there, most were not. The old school DCA vets who clearly have an axe to grind from some issue that happened 30 years ago can't seemed to stop living in the past and judging corps based on bitter bias of which no one in the current corps have a clue what your talking about. The message you people are leaving on here for all to read is the the old Sr corps persona that most DCI kids are told they want no part of is all valid. So when you ask the question why does DCI think little of DCA... simply read your own posts.

It would be nice that at some point the young ladies and gentlemen who are currently competing in the DCA can come on here and read about their corps and their competition WITHOUT the old school bitter vets from a by gone era hijacking their threads and starting the same arguments all over again.

There may be issues with DCA and the adjudicators, but there is far more wrong going on here where everyone can read it with all of you. Put it to bed already and help support the people who are sweating for your enjoyment.

Hhmmm!!! Seem you've learned a lot about the powers of Scientology while studying at Hoppyville!!! It's a shame that your brand of "holier then thou" vitriol won't work with us adults. :worthy: It probably would have been better if you left it on that other thread. :ph34r:

OH!!! And that's more then okay Sayre. Thank you for your honesty. :worthy: (Something that doesn't seem to be practiced on "that other thread". Guess his mother never rewarded him/her for that virtue.) That was me who looked like a "Bumble Bee" flying around the hive. And I promise (gaurantee really) that if you come to TOS July 17 in Bayonne it WILL NOT happen again. I could give a thousand excuses but let's just say I was very hesitant in one drill move and it just had a cascade effect. :tongue:

Give your mom a hug and kiss for me, and tell her we'll talk soon. And give my best to Tom as well. Take good care of your family and hope to see you soon.

my problem is people want reviews, then when they see something they don't like or agree with...even if they weren't there...they jump all over the reviewer.

then reviewers stop reviewing.

and people ##### that no one reviews

.....maybe DCP should just start banning the 6-7 people that end up taking over all the threads fighting back and forth? Then end up using it as a personal chat service. Then the reviews would stand as just that .....a review and more people would be inclined to do them.

just a thought...

.....maybe DCP should just start banning the 6-7 people that end up taking over all the threads fighting back and forth? Then end up using it as a personal chat service. Then the reviews would stand as just that .....a review and more people would be inclined to do them.

just a thought...

problem is, here and in the DCI reviews, all it takes is one thin skinned person to feel slighted or offended for whatever reason, and boom. Doesn't have to be the 6 or 7 people you feel are the issue

I've given up reviewing for the very reasons shown in this thread. Heck I'm mentioned for the last few years THIS was exactly why people, including me, weren't reviewing anymore. This time last year I did wander out of my safehaven and talk about the guards at the Bridgeport show. Won't even bother this year. There were guards there Saturday night ~ 'nough said. I don't have the time this week to bother justifying my right to my own opinion.

I want to read what the REVIEWERS have to say.

I skip the add-ons from those who jump all over someone's review.

I urge reviewers to CONTINUE or RESUME (Legal Eagle?) posting reviews here.....after all, it's one of the only three major headings for this all-age and alumni forum......

Which is more valid; YOUR unbiased review impressions, or someone's BIASED reaction to your opinion?

I can't state my feelings more clearly or strongly: I WANT AS MANY HONEST REVIEWS OF A CONTEST AS THERE WERE SPECTATORS IN THE STANDS..... I read them and have something more than scores to go by until my DVDs give me the opportunity to see for myself.

I'd love to see a corps make adjustments week-to-week based on reviews rathen than scores, but that's just not going to happen, nor should it.

Sorry to add another OPINION to a review thread, but my opinion is in support of honest reviews from a variety of spectators.

Joe in NJ

Edited by JoeDz

You people #####ing about a review should get a life! Right on Sayre, keep 'em coming!

Regarding several posts:

I'd say the reviews are refreshing and honest. Takes a certain amount of guts to make a call and stick to your guns. Judges make it part and parcel of their lives in the activity. Some people don't seem to get that.

We know some people have rivalries, etc. That's fine. As long as we know where someone's shooting from, this is a review area, not putting numbers down on a sheet. I can sympathize and live with a homer defending their corps- right-- or wrong. It casn be difficult to place things aside and be objective. It takes practice, and a well-controlled head.

Sayre- as a fellow corps member, etc, the review was fine. I personally think you might have been a bit tough on the Bridgemen Alumni- BUT--- that is YOUR call. You defended it. You told us why you felt the way you did and backed it up with good reasoning. Even though I may feel that it was a bit tough- I RESPECT what you said. If you go to a show, review it- tell us what you think. Stick to your guns. This activity isn't Care Bears and pink cotton-candy clouds like some people tend to think it is.

And as for the old rivalries, they're there. They exist in DCI, too. I was personally rolling my eyes with the post from Hoppyville myself. As long as you know where someone angles from, one can read, and make their own decisions about what they've read. And don't assume people marching now don't have a clue about certain things that happened in the past. I know when Jeff and myself were kids, we were certainly brought up to speed on many things about Corps History.

And speaking of old rivalries- Liz-- you see something and feel the urge to share your thoughts- POST. I can agree or disagree- but you certainly have the right to share what you think, I may agree or disagree from a show about a guard- but again- I do respect well-thought-out and considered thoughts about any program- again, I may not agree or disagree-- but I will respect them and the poster.

I really think a lot of the frustration on a few recent posts have been more that of frustration that there's no one close to the front-runner. It is what it is. The corps that are behind have a choice. Lay down and whine, hoping the numbers shift x tenths by whining---- or get back up and compete as hard as they can. From my observations of the Cabs, Hurcs and their staffs- they will choose the latter and do what they can. The panels could care less who ends up on top and by how much-- messages have been sent by the spreads- work needs done-- a lot of it. The question is whether there is a willingness to make the adjustments or get delusional and whine....

You people #####ing about a review should get a life! Right on Sayre, keep 'em coming!

If we ever meet I'm buying the first round. Coming from a guy who can usually only make DCA, it's great to have reviews from anyone regardless of background and/or corps connections.

Anyone else look at the "Is DCP Relevant" thread? It's actually about lack of reviews. The crap going on here shows why. Hey if ya don't like a review, state why without doing the things you accuse the reveiwer of.

And if you were at the show REVIEW IT YOURSELF...