Bridgeport Reviews - Post them here!

Thanks for taking the time to write the review. The Bridgemen really appreciated the great audience response to our show. You can expect a much improved performance at our home show the "Tournament of Stars", in Bayonne on July 17. Always nice to get the first show under one's belt, and then have the opportunity to clean and enhance the product.

RCC

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bridgemen got the first big standing ovation of the night. They were loud, but sloppy. Of particular note was the one soprano player who looked like he just joined the corps that day. He spent half the show with his horn down running around the field, moving through halts, nearly causing collisions, and just being a big-time contributor to the slop factor. Enough about that. The music was good (mostly) but got a little out of hand from time to time. Look, I know it's alumni corps and you're not getting a score, but learn how to toe the line between UGFL and downright crass.

Excuse my colorguardness, but what does that mean?

Sayre, you may get the hate mail I used to get, but I appreciate your boldness in going there.

Thank you for a very honest review-would much rather read this than "everyone was great" and see them three weeks later for the first time and ask "What the #### was THAT????!!!"

I'm exhausted from traveling all weekend, so please excuse me not posting a full review. That being said, here are my quick thoughts from Bridgeport: (please note, I mean no offense to anyone, but I'm feeling brutally honest today) Also note: the weather was weird - kinda on again / off again all the way up til show time. And I was perturbed by the folks at the gate - none of whom could be bothered to point me in the right direction of an ATM. (Kinda sad since I needed to find one before I could give them $60 for tickets.)

The PAL Buccaneers were a tiny local exhibition unit. They field 8 or 9 horns and 3 or 4 drums with 2 kids holding flags. I love checking out these kinds of groups because it makes me feel good watching grass roots drum corps in a world that has all but forgotten its roots. I'll be honest - they struggled - a lot. But you know what? Shame on whoever designed a program for kids this young with such challenging arrangements. You should know better. Choose musical arrangements that are challenging (and require effort to improve) but achievable. It does no one any good to hear 8 players struggle through an arrangement of Russian Sailor's Dance that would make people with three times their experience sweat. I respect those kids for going after it and giving their all - but I hope those in charge get a clue.

Fusion was much improved from their debut at Wildwood last week. A lot of the major issues were more readable. One thing that needs to be fixed is that battery. It' been over three years and that's still a mess. A big part of what bugs me when watching Fusion this year is that they are really trying to push the envelope in show design, but don't have the horses to pull some of it off. Certain parts will eventually clean up, but overall, they are being very ambitious this year. The high point is that they are really reaching to "change perceptions" as they say. The weak point is starts and stops (visually) and the beginnings and ends of musical phrases. Additional stamina will help them surge ahead late in the season. But in order to get to the level they want, that battery really needs to get back to basics.

Carolina Gold was a pleasant surprise last night. I didn't know what to expect as I was thoroughly disappointed with last year's show and didn't feel they should have made the Sunday show. (Again - my opinion, sorry.) However I was excited when I saw their battery tracking parts of the show in the lot outside the stadium. The battery (though small) is rather tight, particularly the bass line, and they add a lot to the program. The guard performs well. I get the play on words with "primary suspects" and the use of primary colors. The program is engaging to the average listener, although some of the Bernard Herman stuff (ala 200 Blue Devils) may be a bit out of their league right now. And I say that, mostly because they only had 19 horns. As their horns get a little more endurance, and the show is finished, they could really upset some of the "primary suspects" at the Class A Finals.

Bushwackers had an up and down evening. There were elements that improved from Wildwood, but I feel like they may have come into town looking to really make a statement and got a little carried away. The control they showed in their debut waned from time to time and exposed some rough parts. The show is developing rather well though, and the crowd was digging "Voodoo." The corps just needs to remember to perform the way they are capable of and they will do just fine. There are still a few more sets (maybe 4-6?) that they need to get on the field yet, and then it'll be time to clean, clean, clean. Bush is notorious for picking up steam as the season rolls on. Right now they are a good shot for the 6-8 spots, however if history holds true for them, there is good potential for a return to the top 5.

The Bridgemen got the first big standing ovation of the night. They were loud, but sloppy. Of particular note was the one soprano player who looked like he just joined the corps that day. He spent half the show with his horn down running around the field, moving through halts, nearly causing collisions, and just being a big-time contributor to the slop factor. Enough about that. The music was good (mostly) but got a little out of hand from time to time. Look, I know it's alumni corps and you're not getting a score, but learn how to toe the line between UGFL and downright crass.

Les Dips never made it because of troubles at the border. Too bad - I was looking forward to seeing them as they're one of the units I hardly ever get to see. Will have to catch them Labor Day weekend I guess.

Bucs had improved on a lot of the things that I was griping about after Wildwood. Stamina seemed improved towards the end of the show. No major collisions. Either there was more detail added to the beginning of the show, or it was stuff I just didn't see the first time. Either way, it helped the big picture. One thing I still can't get past is the drum line. Despite being very good, they have a fair amount more dirt this year than last year and are still receiving ridiculously high marks. Doesn't add up from where I'm sitting. Also, color guard performed VERY well Saturday night. I agree that Reading is still the best corps out there so far, but the point spread is silly. More on that later.

Hurricanes have been quiet all winter, so I was really waiting to see what they would bring to the table. Their show does not disappoint. Musical selections are enjoyable and executed well. There are some minor problems with the marching that I expect will be resolved quickly. There was one near-disaster when some of the bass drummers collided which sent bass #2 (the drum, not the player) rolling across the field. The player made the right call and stepped out of line for a few counts to get the drum back on and get back into his spot. A good recovery that could otherwise have ended really bad. The battery is remarkable this year and I had slightly over Reading (what?! they're THAT much cleaner!) And I'm sorry, but this color guard is the best one. PERIOD. Reading's was really good, Hurcs = BEST.

Cabs were all kinds of bad last night. I mean no disrespect, but I'm not sure what happened between last week and this to make things that were good last week, so dirty a week later. It really bummed me out because I was expecting them to take a big step forwards, and felt they went backwards a little bit, regardless of what the judges saw. Cabs (especially drum line) please CALM DOWN!!! It really felt like they were coming out so fired up that they just got carried away and made silly mistakes, or just lost control of dynamics, articulations, body movements, etc. Same thing seemed to happen to Bush this week, so maybe they were just over-hyping. Point is, I know they are better than what I saw last night, and I hope that's the show I see next time.

There was a fife & drum group (sorry I missed where they were from) that was on while I was trying to tend to my screaming child. What I heard was excellent stuff. That sort of entertainment is not usually my cup of tea, but they're style and performance level made them more engaging to a casual fan such as myself.

The final exhibition was the hometown Park City Pride, who always put on a great show. Their performance of timeless drum corps classics always seem to strike a chord with the older generations and some of the younger folks alike. Again, I apologize for not being able to review them properly, but I had a baby to deal with.

Now - let me make some bold observations. I think the judges have lost their minds over the past two shows. There was NO WAY ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH that the Cabs should have beaten the Hurricanes last night. There was also NO WAY ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH that the Hurricane's guard should have been any other place except numero uno. Fpor the record, hear were my scores (using the same sheets as the DCA judges):

Bucs.........80.225

Hurcs........76.325

Cabs.........73.225

Bush.........70.350

Fusion.......64.150

Gold..........63.325

Again - these are just my un-biased, un-filtered, un-censored opinions. Take them with a grain of salt. Please do not take offense at them, I don't mean to p*** anybody off, but I think the good 'ol "everyone was great" reviews don't really do much for anyone.

PS - don't bother sending me hate mail or flaming me on here - I simply don't care.

"Unbiased-Unfiletered":

Bridgeport numbers as I would have had them: :thumbup:

1. 80.500 Reading Buccaneers

2. 79.500 Hawthorne Caballeros

3. 78.500 Connecticut Hurricanes

4. 70.000 Bushwackers

5. 63.000 Carolina Gold

6. 62.500 Fusion Core

Bridgemen should have been competing. They (Despite all the writer hammered them for) would have come in fourth (By me).

One of THE best ovations of the night. :thumbup: Readings encore well done & recieved by the few people that stuck around. :rolleyes:

Elphaba

I'm exhausted from traveling all weekend, so please excuse me not posting a full review. That being said, here are my quick thoughts from Bridgeport: (please note, I mean no offense to anyone, but I'm feeling brutally honest today) Also note: the weather was weird - kinda on again / off again all the way up til show time. And I was perturbed by the folks at the gate - none of whom could be bothered to point me in the right direction of an ATM. (Kinda sad since I needed to find one before I could give them $60 for tickets.)

The PAL Buccaneers were a tiny local exhibition unit. They field 8 or 9 horns and 3 or 4 drums with 2 kids holding flags. I love checking out these kinds of groups because it makes me feel good watching grass roots drum corps in a world that has all but forgotten its roots. I'll be honest - they struggled - a lot. But you know what? Shame on whoever designed a program for kids this young with such challenging arrangements. You should know better. Choose musical arrangements that are challenging (and require effort to improve) but achievable. It does no one any good to hear 8 players struggle through an arrangement of Russian Sailor's Dance that would make people with three times their experience sweat. I respect those kids for going after it and giving their all - but I hope those in charge get a clue.

Fusion was much improved from their debut at Wildwood last week. A lot of the major issues were more readable. One thing that needs to be fixed is that battery. It' been over three years and that's still a mess. A big part of what bugs me when watching Fusion this year is that they are really trying to push the envelope in show design, but don't have the horses to pull some of it off. Certain parts will eventually clean up, but overall, they are being very ambitious this year. The high point is that they are really reaching to "change perceptions" as they say. The weak point is starts and stops (visually) and the beginnings and ends of musical phrases. Additional stamina will help them surge ahead late in the season. But in order to get to the level they want, that battery really needs to get back to basics.

Carolina Gold was a pleasant surprise last night. I didn't know what to expect as I was thoroughly disappointed with last year's show and didn't feel they should have made the Sunday show. (Again - my opinion, sorry.) However I was excited when I saw their battery tracking parts of the show in the lot outside the stadium. The battery (though small) is rather tight, particularly the bass line, and they add a lot to the program. The guard performs well. I get the play on words with "primary suspects" and the use of primary colors. The program is engaging to the average listener, although some of the Bernard Herman stuff (ala 200 Blue Devils) may be a bit out of their league right now. And I say that, mostly because they only had 19 horns. As their horns get a little more endurance, and the show is finished, they could really upset some of the "primary suspects" at the Class A Finals.

Bushwackers had an up and down evening. There were elements that improved from Wildwood, but I feel like they may have come into town looking to really make a statement and got a little carried away. The control they showed in their debut waned from time to time and exposed some rough parts. The show is developing rather well though, and the crowd was digging "Voodoo." The corps just needs to remember to perform the way they are capable of and they will do just fine. There are still a few more sets (maybe 4-6?) that they need to get on the field yet, and then it'll be time to clean, clean, clean. Bush is notorious for picking up steam as the season rolls on. Right now they are a good shot for the 6-8 spots, however if history holds true for them, there is good potential for a return to the top 5.

Les Dips never made it because of troubles at the border. Too bad - I was looking forward to seeing them as they're one of the units I hardly ever get to see. Will have to catch them Labor Day weekend I guess.

Bucs had improved on a lot of the things that I was griping about after Wildwood. Stamina seemed improved towards the end of the show. No major collisions. Either there was more detail added to the beginning of the show, or it was stuff I just didn't see the first time. Either way, it helped the big picture. One thing I still can't get past is the drum line. Despite being very good, they have a fair amount more dirt this year than last year and are still receiving ridiculously high marks. Doesn't add up from where I'm sitting. Also, color guard performed VERY well Saturday night. I agree that Reading is still the best corps out there so far, but the point spread is silly. More on that later.

Hurricanes have been quiet all winter, so I was really waiting to see what they would bring to the table. Their show does not disappoint. Musical selections are enjoyable and executed well. There are some minor problems with the marching that I expect will be resolved quickly. There was one near-disaster when some of the bass drummers collided which sent bass #2 (the drum, not the player) rolling across the field. The player made the right call and stepped out of line for a few counts to get the drum back on and get back into his spot. A good recovery that could otherwise have ended really bad. The battery is remarkable this year and I had slightly over Reading (what?! they're THAT much cleaner!) And I'm sorry, but this color guard is the best one. PERIOD. Reading's was really good, Hurcs = BEST.

Cabs were all kinds of bad last night. I mean no disrespect, but I'm not sure what happened between last week and this to make things that were good last week, so dirty a week later. It really bummed me out because I was expecting them to take a big step forwards, and felt they went backwards a little bit, regardless of what the judges saw. Cabs (especially drum line) please CALM DOWN!!! It really felt like they were coming out so fired up that they just got carried away and made silly mistakes, or just lost control of dynamics, articulations, body movements, etc. Same thing seemed to happen to Bush this week, so maybe they were just over-hyping. Point is, I know they are better than what I saw last night, and I hope that's the show I see next time.

There was a fife & drum group (sorry I missed where they were from) that was on while I was trying to tend to my screaming child. What I heard was excellent stuff. That sort of entertainment is not usually my cup of tea, but they're style and performance level made them more engaging to a casual fan such as myself.

The final exhibition was the hometown Park City Pride, who always put on a great show. Their performance of timeless drum corps classics always seem to strike a chord with the older generations and some of the younger folks alike. Again, I apologize for not being able to review them properly, but I had a baby to deal with.

Now - let me make some bold observations. I think the judges have lost their minds over the past two shows. There was NO WAY ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH that the Cabs should have beaten the Hurricanes last night. There was also NO WAY ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH that the Hurricane's guard should have been any other place except numero uno. Fpor the record, hear were my scores (using the same sheets as the DCA judges):

Bucs.........80.225

Hurcs........76.325

Cabs.........73.225

Bush.........70.350

Fusion.......64.150

Gold..........63.325

Again - these are just my un-biased, un-filtered, un-censored opinions. Take them with a grain of salt. Please do not take offense at them, I don't mean to p*** anybody off, but I think the good 'ol "everyone was great" reviews don't really do much for anyone.

PS - don't bother sending me hate mail or flaming me on here - I simply don't care.

Thanks for the in depth and honest review.

This should really be a new topic , IMHO folks who risk life and limb writing reviews should get some credit!

( or maybe you were understandably keeping a low profile )

This is a haphazard stab since I have umpteen zillion things to do during Champs besides announce. Competing corps only.

I liked both Fusion and Gold for their efforts. It is obvious both corps are smallish, with early-season issues. Nice to see Carol O'Brien back on the podium--if there's a drum corps out there, she'll conduct it. And well.

Enjoyed Carolina's "whodunnit" theme. Most of that Herrmann music is a beeyotch to play. Cool ballad from "Vertigo." As was the "Dragnet" opening.

Speaking of openings, Bush come out with a defiant, eerie, way-cool statement as a harbinger of Voodoo madness to come. In close to 20 years of writing about drum corps, I dunno how many times I have penned, "Wait til this show comes together," etc. Same for this year. You KNOW they always add players and tweak charts during the season. A Dark and Stormy Bush, fer sure.

I definitely think Hurcs are on track to climb the ladder again. They raised the bar high with their iconic season last year and the Duganites are pitching another well-sorted program this year. Flashbacks to The Green Machine with Rutter's "Gloria" take the day. The Lynch Mob already in fine fettle as battery has surpassed where they were at this point last year. Add in a glossier, more robust pit, too.

Cabs are in better overall form than Hurcs at this point, IMHO. High point for me was ensemble brass--in great shape for week 2. All-original show needs a couple more listens, also IMHO. Loved the "mask" theme on guard. And did they "brump" me in two different keys? I think so.

Okay, I know the season is young and EVERYONE has execution issues, BUT...

The Bucs absolutely floored me. This show is SO well-planned, SO wrought with emotion and SO easy to grasp that I just stood there and kvelled. The visual complements the audio so well, it's scary. As I said in another thread, this is my favorite program in the Ruocco era. Effortless segues in a Respighi sandwich, with a creamy, oh-so elegant Khachaturian filling. Yes, the Adagio was superb, with ensemble brass to die for.

I'm not about scores or predicting that no one will touch this corps this year. But I will tell you this, if you have 10 cc's of dc blood in your system, YOU MUST SEE THIS CORPS.

I'm not going overboard when I say that the kids from Pretzeltown entertained me, drained me and maimed me. In the best way possible. Early-season or not, this was one of the finest performances I have ever witnessed, any circuit, anywhere, any month. I could go another few hundred words here.

Please read Bill Flaker's in-depth review in Drum Corps World.

Thanks to all who stopped by with greetings.

Hope to see more of you back at JFK at BAC Bridgeport Drums (7/5) and Hurcs' Fanfare (8/27).

Ace

Excuse my colorguardness, but what does that mean?

LOL - okay, I can explain that. If you are at all familiar with the way dynamics are written in music - pp = pianissimo (soft) and ff = fortissimo (loud). With me so far? Okay - the more p's or f's you add, the more you go in either direction (i.e. - ppp = extremely soft and fff = extremely loud. UGFL tops them all and stands for un-Godly F***ing Loud. I'd say that's about as loud as you can possibly play without starting to sound like you're taking the finish off the horn.

Sayre,

Thank you for your very honest critique for all of the performing drum corps at the Bridgeport Show.

This was our first field performance of the season, and we are very proud of what we accomplished! In fact, I am extremely proud of our entire corps! And it's always very nice to receive a congratulatory handshake from the Ringmaster himself! Thank you, Tom Santa! That was a first!

I can assure you that any issues which emanated from the brass line in Bridgeport (as you pointed out) will most definitely be corrected by our next performance at the TOS in Bayonne, on Saturday, July 17th. That is a promise.

Also, thank you for mentioning the first standing ovation of the evening, but you neglected to mention that we received a lot more than just one. Just sayin'. : )

A BIG THANK YOU TO JAY MORLOT, AND THE BUSHWACKERS FOR THE USE OF YOUR PODIUM!!! IT WAS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Thanks to the Barnum Committee for inviting us back to the show, and to my good friend, Ace Holleran, for his outstanding performance as show announcer, as always!!! I love his exuberance! Keep up the great work, Ace!!!

Congratulations to the Reading Buccaneers on their second victory of the season!!! I haven't seen anyone's show just yet, but I'm looking forward to doing so very soon!

And finally...thanks to all of the fans for expressing your feelings so fervently during our performance in Bridgeport! Your enthusiasm, and excitement helped to make our performance "one for the books" for the Bridgemen, and especially for this old drum major!

We had an absolute blast!

Have a great season, everyone!

Jim Jordan

Drum Major/Bayonne Bridgemen

Edited by overthehillDM