Bridgeport Reviews - Post them here!

You know, my mom used to take things away from me as a kid because I may have abused my rights to use them. If the thoughts on here are honest, the vast majority of the people who post on here have some anger issues. Maybe mom needs to make an intervention.

I was making a joke. No big deal. :sleeping:

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has been wicked interesting and pretty entertaining.

I have just one question and it's not meant to be rhetorical and I'm not pretending to have every answer:

As I read it, the issue is the need for honest reviews - in this case honest simply refers to the poster's unvarnished opinions about the show... which by the way is the right of any American who can get access to a computer.

The converse, if I read it correctly is that the same people are what's the right word? Disturbed? Bothered? by people who respond with what they feel are "honest" responses - i.e. their unvarnished opinion about the review. If there are enough of these "honest" reactions that seem negative to the "honest" reviewer, then their feelings are hurt and they won't post their reviews any more. This puzzles me.

Many honest reviews, maybe all of them, contain some degree of the poster's personal likes and dislikes, biases if you will. You can deny that until Reading loses a show (not likely to happen soon) and it will still be a fact. Everything that each of us writes contains some modicum of who we are, what we like, dislike, etc.

If we are going to say honestly (i.e. it's our opinion) that a staff should be ashamed - like that of Bridgeport Bucs (and yes I know the quote was more like "it's a shame that anyone would program a show like this" but parse it any way you want it's a pretty personal statement) then why get our feelings hurt when someone else honestly reacts to a statement like that? Are we blushing virgins? Can we dish it out and not take it?

Post reviews or don't post them. DCP and its readers will be the poorer for your loss if that's your decision but it's your choice. If you want a forum in which you're able to post anything you want and lmit peoples' reaction, then god bless you in that quiet place wherever it is.

Anytime I write anything I know there's the possibility of a reaction. Sometimes I write something in a way that it comes out differently than I intended, and then I have to eat my words. Often times my opinion is just different from other folks - a product of my peculiar background and where I've been. If I make someone angry I'm not going to ask DCP not to post their response. If I meant it the way they took it, the statement stands and life goes on.

Are we really this precious and delicate in this activity that we expect everything we say to go unchallenged?

People like Frank Dorrite and Wayne Downey post articles here. They probably get less abuse for a couple of obvious reasons - a) they're not trying to #### people off and b) they're really and truly experts in the area they're addressing, a position we'd all love to occupy but very few of us ever achieve.

Post - don't post. Reply - don't reply. Stop crying. There's no crying in drum corps.

C'mon, we need more free speech, not less.

Keep the reviews coming. We should encourage more reviews and we should blast back more if necessary.

If you do a review with opinions be ready to back them up. Heck, a guy a like Sayre IS qualified to judge DCA. Heck, Ray Fallon should judge DCA. Why not? Right now it's the same judges who go from DCA to HS band shows to Winter Guard; that's a pretty diverse population of fans. The judges need to know what the paying customer thinks.

I even think all the judges tapes should be put on DCP within minutes of each show - THEN have the judges answer to DCP readers. The number of hits on this site would explode. Again, why not? We watch slow-motion, multi-angle replays of every blown call in every other sport.

Again, why not? The same team has won every competition under the DCA banner the past 6 years; let the judges explain it... we aren't worried about upsetting the "competitive integrity of the institution" are we? What competition? Free and open discussion might help the next team get good enough to win one of these decades. (by the way, Empire has their best corps since '98).

It doesn't have to be all controversial - it might even be educational (it might also be really, really mind-numbingly boring).

This activity will disappear in our lifetime if we don't spice it up a little.

Sincerely,

TA

(not affiliated)

Edited by Tom D'Bomb

QUOTE (lovindrumcorps @ Jun 29 2010, 12:00 AM) post_snapback.gifYou know, my mom used to take things away from me as a kid because I may have abused my rights to use them. If the thoughts on here are honest, the vast majority of the people who post on here have some anger issues. Maybe mom needs to make an intervention.

I was making a joke. No big deal. :sleeping:

Maybe if we're lucky his mother will take his computer away. :rolleyes:

C'mon, we need more free speech, not less.

Keep the reviews coming. We should encourage more reviews and we should blast back more if necessary.

If you do a review with opinions be ready to back them up. Heck, a guy a like Sayre IS qualified to judge DCA. Heck, Ray Fallon should judge DCA. Why not? Right now it's the same judges who go from DCA to HS band shows to Winter Guard; that's a pretty diverse population of fans. The judges need to know what the paying customer thinks.

I even think all the judges tapes should be put on DCP within minutes of each show - THEN have the judges answer to DCP readers. The number of hits on this site would explode. Again, why not? We watch slow-motion, multi-angle replays of every blown call in every other sport.

Again, why not? The same team has won every competition under the DCA banner the past 6 years; let the judges explain it... we aren't worried about upsetting the "competitive integrity of the institution" are we? What competition? Free and open discussion might help the next team get good enough to win one of these decades. (by the way, Empire has their best corps since '98).

It doesn't have to be all controversial - it might even be educational (it might also be really, really mind-numbingly boring).

This activity will disappear in our lifetime if we don't spice it up a little.

Sincerely,

TA

(not affiliated)

Mr. DaBomb,

Two mindless questions - what qualifications do you think a DCA judge should possess? (I've actually never judged either DCA or DCI - mainly because I was always teaching someone and recently my kids always seem to be teaching somewhere).

Second - this one I'm curious about - do you think it's important for judges to know what, for instance, people who post on DCP think? I'm not agreeing or disagreeing. I'm just thinking that someone like Charlie Poole - writer and instructor of one of the greatest percussion lines of all times and a judge whose qualifications are unquestioned at every level - maybe doesn't need someone like for instance - Ray Fallon to tell him how to do it. Usually if my opinion of a line differs from Charlie's I try to figure out what I missed rather than vice versa.

I just wanted to make sure I understood your point - and of course you are correct - write your posts - by all means - you can choose to defend your opinions or simply let them stand but you can't regulate people's reactions any more than they can regulate your opinions.

it's America, #### it!!! (as you Statesmen folks have reminded us eloquently many many times).

Unlike those bell bottom wearing, Spanish sounding....

Ray...reviews or opinions being challenged is one thing. the problem is too often peopole who hate the review get nasty and/or personal. I laugh off criticism to my reviews anymore, but I know in the past I got some seriously nasty #### said to and about me.

that's uncalled for.

you don't like a review, say why you may disagree, and move on...people want to make it a war.

and honestly, sometimes people hate reviews because they can not look objectively at the programs they have loyalty to

You know Jeff - you make an excellent point. I know I have responded to what seems like me to be personal and vitriolic, but that's not really an excuse to sink to that level. I think I may have to go back and re-read some of my responses.

When you're right, you're right. I think you're right on this one.

#### it... (I wrote the equivalent of "darn it" here - don't want anyone to thinkI said a bad word when I get ####).

I hate it when someone straightens me out. Especially a (gasp) percussionist.

By the way does that apply to the original "honest" post as well? Does that need to be impersonal - I know I responded to the implication of "shame" on a staff for their program or judges having "lost their minds"... or a corps being "all kinds of bad tonight"...

Is that different because it's "honest"?? I do accept your point and will counself myself - still curious though how these rules of decorum apply to the actual review?

Edited by rayfallon

Mr. DaBomb,

Two mindless questions - what qualifications do you think a DCA judge should possess? (I've actually never judged either DCA or DCI - mainly because I was always teaching someone and recently my kids always seem to be teaching somewhere).

Second - this one I'm curious about - do you think it's important for judges to know what, for instance, people who post on DCP think? I'm not agreeing or disagreeing. I'm just thinking that someone like Charlie Poole - writer and instructor of one of the greatest percussion lines of all times and a judge whose qualifications are unquestioned at every level - maybe doesn't need someone like for instance - Ray Fallon to tell him how to do it. Usually if my opinion of a line differs from Charlie's I try to figure out what I missed rather than vice versa.

I just wanted to make sure I understood your point - and of course you are correct - write your posts - by all means - you can choose to defend your opinions or simply let them stand but you can't regulate people's reactions any more than they can regulate your opinions.

it's America, #### it!!! (as you Statesmen folks have reminded us eloquently many many times).

Unlike those bell bottom wearing, Spanish sounding....

If you taught somebody, you're qualified to judge. And I'm going totally on comparisons with those who have and do judge.

Plus (Old School Warning) - it wasn't that long ago that show sponsors had a little pull. Micky Petrone would send the word around that we might lose sponsors if "entertainment" isn't rewarded. Oddly, the next week the judges liked the "entertaining" corps more than the "sophisticated" corps. (Is it fair? I don't know, is any of this fair?)

So now someone will will say, "Oh sure, you just want a 'clap' show." To that I say, not necessarily... but how well are these "Golf Clap" shows working for the $how $ponsors?

That's why the Ray Fallons of the world need to be heard.

QUOTE (lovindrumcorps @ Jun 29 2010, 12:00 AM) post_snapback.gifYou know, my mom used to take things away from me as a kid because I may have abused my rights to use them. If the thoughts on here are honest, the vast majority of the people who post on here have some anger issues. Maybe mom needs to make an intervention.

Maybe if we're lucky his mother will take his computer away. :rolleyes:

I think she knows better and has a great deal of respect for the free exchange of thoughts and ideas. For all I know she even respects my stupid jokes HA HA :sleeping:

Edited by HurcsGuyGD.

This has been wicked interesting and pretty entertaining.

You hit the nail on the head right from the start. It has been interesting and entertaining. Some views I agree with. Others I don't. It's still fun has hell. I don't think anyone is emotionaly damaged or loosing sleep over this review/thread. I'm always interested in other peoples thoughts. Even the ones I don't agree with. I didn't agree with the OP. 100% of time but I give him two thumbs up for sharing his honest thoughts. :sleeping: