St Peter MN

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I miss The Rivermen. Remember them. They were from Minnesota. Their guard spun these sticks with nerf balls on the ends-it was really cool.

I was their publicity director way back. I even recruited five of my local high school musicians to join the Rivermen, after I took them to watch Spirit of Atlanta rehearse in 1978.

i attended show last night and got there late only to see last half of Colts and then final 3 corps. Thought Blue Stars looked very young and raw. Show needs lots of work and focus. Looks like coffins on the field. Don't understand gray baggy uniforms. Like the guard uniforms. Too many whole, half and quarter notes, assume they will get more difficulty into horn parts as the season progresses. Guard looks detached and as if they are performing ballet while corps is marching. I hope there is a master plan for all this Houdini. I'm counting on big surprises and pay-offs down the line.

Cavaliers also look young for Cavaliers and show needs lots of work but it has a strong theme and has potential. Guard is set to play a major role in this production and I think they are up to it. Horns sound young. This could be rebuilding year for Cavies and they will rely on drill and perfection to carry them. Tough show and lots of hours still needed to refine and polish but we all know if anyone can put in the time and do this, it is the Cavaliers.

Final Corps was Cadets and no one should be surprised that they were much further along with development of their show than anyone else. I was surprized to learn they were 3 - 4 points ahead of Cavaliers on previous nights because it looked to me like they were 10 points ahead, but I guess scores really don't mean much at this point in the season. Cadets have very mature horns playing tough 16th note charts in multiple time signatures while moving forward, backward and in every direction. Drumline can do it all and percussion pit is by far the best of the night. Guard is also strong and for once they blend better with the toy soldier theme that is the show. The military academy perfectionism that is "Garfield" has in many ways not allowed them to fully absorb the thematic material that they have chosen in the past. This season will be different. It seems that this show has everything but the kitchen sink in it and as time progresses and they keep the good and toss/cut the unnecessary, the show will clean itself into a potential classic. I think they have to be an early season favorite. I'm glad I got to see it up close and early. I plan to attend DCI'MN on July17 to see how far all of these corps have come in cleaning up their productions. Good luck to all.

i attended show last night and got there late only to see last half of Colts and then final 3 corps. Thought Blue Stars looked very young and raw. Show needs lots of work and focus. Looks like coffins on the field. Don't understand gray baggy uniforms. Like the guard uniforms. Too many whole, half and quarter notes, assume they will get more difficulty into horn parts as the season progresses. Guard looks detached and as if they are performing ballet while corps is marching. I hope there is a master plan for all this Houdini. I'm counting on big surprises and pay-offs down the line.

Cavaliers also look young for Cavaliers and show needs lots of work but it has a strong theme and has potential. Guard is set to play a major role in this production and I think they are up to it. Horns sound young. This could be rebuilding year for Cavies and they will rely on drill and perfection to carry them. Tough show and lots of hours still needed to refine and polish but we all know if anyone can put in the time and do this, it is the Cavaliers.

Final Corps was Cadets and no one should be surprised that they were much further along with development of their show than anyone else. I was surprized to learn they were 3 - 4 points ahead of Cavaliers on previous nights because it looked to me like they were 10 points ahead, but I guess scores really don't mean much at this point in the season. Cadets have very mature horns playing tough 16th note charts in multiple time signatures while moving forward, backward and in every direction. Drumline can do it all and percussion pit is by far the best of the night. Guard is also strong and for once they blend better with the toy soldier theme that is the show. The military academy perfectionism that is "Garfield" has in many ways not allowed them to fully absorb the thematic material that they have chosen in the past. This season will be different. It seems that this show has everything but the kitchen sink in it and as time progresses and they keep the good and toss/cut the unnecessary, the show will clean itself into a potential classic. I think they have to be an early season favorite. I'm glad I got to see it up close and early. I plan to attend DCI'MN on July17 to see how far all of these corps have come in cleaning up their productions. Good luck to all.

That's a lot of zingers there zingy boy.

Well,...Martin there joined DCP today, and looks like he joined to rip into corps. What a fan. Too bad he got there late,...or was that on purpose.

He seems like a real "Zing" Golly to me.

All this Minnesota info is interesting. Don't they have like 10,000 lakes too? That's a lot of lakes.

Thanks!

More. Around 12,000 but 10,000 rolls of the tounge better!

Minnesota's shoreline from its lakes and rivers provide more shoreline than California, Florida and Hawaii combined. :sleeping:

Anything else you would like to know? lol

Ahhhh, another "expert" review. One whole post on DCP.

Guess we all had to start posting at some point. #of posts does not necessarily equal amount of experience.

I do quite well on posts but would not really call myself an expert, then again, that could just be my modest nature lol

It is however interesting to read something that goes against the general opinion

DCI may have had no say in the situation.

Maybe the case but until August of 2004 Univ of Wisconsin's Camp Randall Stadium had NO permanent lights.

DCI arranged to have lighting for all the great DCI World Championships held at the stadium all those years.

So the real question is did DCI knowingly schedule this show with the show sponsor knowing no lighting would be available?

If so and it was known that lighting may be an adjudication issue then I agree with other posters that this should have been communicated as a scheduled exhibition.