Percussion Scores shakeup in NJ

I don't know where you got your scores...but PR came in 2nd with a 16.10. And, I don't know the details of Crown's center snare not being there, but is it safe to blame their score on that? That's what it sounds like people are trying to do...I don't know though. I'm just saying a missing center snare shouldn't change a place in drums anyways.

Personally, I feel just the opposite. PR feels very old school to me, which makes them seem stale and predictable IMHO. I am really digging what corps like Bluecoats and Blue Stars are doing with the visuals this year. Very dynamic, very aggresive. Bluecoats are much cleaner than Blue Stars right now, but that could change with Aungst in La Crosse. The "old standard" style of PR just leaves me bored.

Yea I agree. Who wants to watch a boring drumline just play incredibly well written music with tons of technical difficulty without so much as a single ballet move, leg kick or dancing with the guard........oh maybe real percussionists would.

Personally, I feel just the opposite. PR feels very old school to me, which makes them seem stale and predictable IMHO. I am really digging what corps like Bluecoats and Blue Stars are doing with the visuals this year. Very dynamic, very aggresive. Bluecoats are much cleaner than Blue Stars right now, but that could change with Aungst in La Crosse. The "old standard" style of PR just leaves me bored.

I disagree. Phantom has slipped precisely BECAUSE they have lost their agressive old school style. Myron's got to go after this season. He's not a fit there.

And I guarantee you that Phantom Regiment will get their rich deep bass sound back we've all come to know, and there is no way in the world that Phantom Regiment will not have at least 12 Tubas out on the field next year, imo.

You know that Phantom Regiment is struggling a bit ( not a lot though ) when it is their percussion line that is their strongest section.

Phantom Regiment does not need to become Blue Stars ....or SCV.

Phantom Regiment just needs to become Phantom Regiment.

Edited by BRASSO

Yea I agree. Who wants to watch a boring drumline just play incredibly well written music with tons of technical difficulty without so much as a single ballet move, leg kick or dancing with the guard........oh maybe real percussionists would.

Now the question is...do judges judge off of great technical music...or aggressive body movements and visuals? All depends on the perspective of the judge I guess they say.

Now the question is...do judges judge off of great technical music...or aggressive body movements and visuals? All depends on the perspective of the judge I guess they say.

Well I would assume the body movement or lack therof is judged by a GE or visual judge. I suppose the perc perf judge may take into account how a body movement or staging scenario may make a book more difficult to play, and give props to one line playing clean with a lot of body movement over a corps playing crystal clean with little or no movement.

I don't know where you got your scores...but PR came in 2nd with a 16.10. And, I don't know the details of Crown's center snare not being there, but is it safe to blame their score on that? That's what it sounds like people are trying to do...I don't know though. I'm just saying a missing center snare shouldn't change a place in drums anyways.

Is there anyone here who marched percussion that can tell us the importance of a "center snare"? It just seems like if they have a name for the position, it carries a certain amount of importance and when she's not there, it could affect the rest of the line.

Just curious.

randy

BOOYAH!!!!! Body Movement? Who cares? Phantom throws down - every time....... :sleeping:

• Like 1

Is there anyone here who marched percussion that can tell us the importance of a "center snare"? It just seems like if they have a name for the position, it carries a certain amount of importance and when she's not there, it could affect the rest of the line.

Just curious.

randy

For those lines that have an uneven amount of snares the "center" snare is usually the section leader, and the strongest player in the line.

• Like 1

I disagree. Phantom has slipped precisely BECAUSE they have lost their agressive old school style. Myron's got to go after this season. He's not a fit there.

And I guarantee you that Phantom Regiment will get their rich deep bass sound back we've all come to know, and there is no way in the world that Phantom Regiment will not have at least 12 Tubas out on the field next year, imo.

You know that Phantom Regiment is struggling a bit ( not a lot though ) when it is their percussion line that is their strongest section.

Phantom Regiment does not need to become Blue Stars ....or SCV.

Phantom Regiment just needs to become Phantom Regiment.

Exactly how has Phantom slipped? So they got outscored by the Bluecoats once - that certainly isn't shameful - the Coats have an excellent line!

• Like 1

For once i can say DCI needs to be more like WGI. Last year Rhythm X had the body movement and everything but Pulse had the hands and played cleaner than BD last year. And in the end Pulse won from clean hands and not the body movement.