Percussion Scores shakeup in NJ

I definitely think DCI doesn't need to be like WGI. I feel that wgi more than anything is based off of the visual aspect of a performance. DCI is more about music and it should stay that way. Playing CLEAN shoul be more commendable than doing visual moves I believe.

You realize that the visual caption in WGI is worth the fewest points, right? PA and GE are 40 each. Visual is only 20. Get some facts.

Now as for marching, having a hole in the middle of the line was probably a little challenging.

Newbie question: I know that the brass will march leaving a hole for an absent player, but I thought I heard that the percussion line always marches w/o leaving a hole. True? Sometimes?

Newbie question: I know that the brass will march leaving a hole for an absent player, but I thought I heard that the percussion line always marches w/o leaving a hole. True? Sometimes?

In the case of Crown's center snare, they wouldn't close the hole for the fact that she's just injured and will return in one or two days. The case that you're talking about is more of a "we can't fill the hole with a competent musician" hole. In that case, a drumline would more than likely close the hole whereas the hornline would put out a memo for experienced brass players to fill in a hole midseason. There are more proficient brass players than there are percussionists.

In the case of Crown's center snare, they wouldn't close the hole for the fact that she's just injured and will return in one or two days. The case that you're talking about is more of a "we can't fill the hole with a competent musician" hole. In that case, a drumline would more than likely close the hole whereas the hornline would put out a memo for experienced brass players to fill in a hole midseason. There are more proficient brass players than there are percussionists.

Got it. Thanks for the info!

You realize that the visual caption in WGI is worth the fewest points, right? PA and GE are 40 each. Visual is only 20. Get some facts.

however some visual bleedover plays into overall effect on the GE sheet

Well, we all knew it would happen at some point. PR is no longer undefeated in Percussion! This proves again that the first week of tour didn't prove anything as far as scores go. Should be an interesting rest of the summer...

http://www.dci.org/scores/recap/view.cfm?e...72-16bbefeb6fc6

1. Bluecoats 16.30

2. Phantom Regiment 16.10

3. Carolina Crown 15.60

4. Boston Crusaders 15.10

5. Spirit 14.30

6. Crossmen 13.80

7. Jersey Surf 13.10

I don't find this to be a shakeup. It isn't a forgone conclusion that one particular corps is destined to win percussion and there haven't been that many shows. There's lots of room for movement in every caption, but I guess this makes things more interesting. :sad:

my guess would be that the judges are falling more into the "body movement" phase and are awarding points for it. and since phantom doesnt have much body movement at all, they dont score as high. but i do agree, phantom does have the most substance. paul's way of playing the quads against the snare writing is just great. and the bassline is so smooth over both parts! sandi has great FE writing and gives a warm feel. bluecoats i feel havent had a great book since 08. the writing seems really stale and predictable at times, but having said that, they are pulling it off (will a million and one visuals) and are being rewarded for it.

coats may have won the battle, but who will win the war? we shall see...

It could be: if the books are equal in demand the body movement would typically be simultaneous demand and if one corps is doing it and another isn't that could be a slight deciding factor. But Bluecoats won both subcaptions, so I wouldn't necessarily buy into that theory. It could just be:

a) Bluecoats had a slightly better run

b) Jeff P. just liked Bluecoats a hair better

I think that just as the competitive balance has evened out a bit in the brass caption (more high quality brass sections than, say, 10-15 years ago), it has evened out a bit in percussion. There are a LOT of championship caliber percussion sections now-a-days, and in any given year there could legitimately be four or five 'deserving' percussion sections, verses two or three just fifteen or so years ago. This makes it exciting for all of us, I think. I LOVE going into a big Regional or Champs week and having no idea who will win what captions: not only does that add some excitement, but it means there are a bunch of high quality corps out there!

And FWIW, while I haven't seen either show yet (Phantom or Bluecoats) the fact that the percussion caption flip-flopped now makes me want to watch Bluecoats ASAP, where as before I just had a marginal interest in seeing it.

I recken this won't be the last time high percussion changes hands this summer, and it will be fun seeing who comes out on top in the end!! :sad:

Phantoms approach early, in recent years seems to be more bare bones....then add the stuff in as the season goes, usually a large chunk off ad-ins at a time. they get the skeleton out there and go from there.

other corps seem to get as much out early as they can, then make whatever changes they have too, plus additions. I mean Crown just got their closer on the field, SCV still doesn't have it.

which is right, which is wrong?

depends on what you want. I've seen both ways work well.

getting all hung up in June on where someone will be in 6 weeks is a waste. With this year shaping up to have more depth in quality from the top down than usual, it will likely be a flip floppy season.

again, look at Phantom 08...even better remember Boston in 2000? They were sitting about 8th two weeks before finals.

anything can happen, and probably, until the former San Antonio weekend, it's all guess work...and even after than you'll see some shifting.

It was that way in my day as well. Our June show in 94 barely resembled (design-wise) what we put on the field Finals night. It wasn't just a matter of cleaning--there were pretty drastic changes and additions going in all summer, to the point where the show just sort of ...transformed.