Why do parades?

I remember you! I taught South Brunswick at the same time, but when they both went into the same division, I did not want to do competing bands so I stayed with WWPHS.

Tony is still at the HS, by the way, though not doing the marching band anymore. And...there are two HS in the district now, as it has grown so much!

SB has an amazing marching program, by the way. Mark and Ginny have a machine over there!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbdown:Glory, glory hallelujah!

HAPPY JULY 4TH TO DRUM CORPS LOVERS EVERYHWERE.

In the Norhteast it's money, at the Baltimore, MD parades today and tomorrow there are up to five parades (each paying) and following corps are doing between 2 and 5.

Buccaneers

Sun Devils

Alliance

Music City Legend

Fusion Corps

Carolina Gold

Hanover Lancers

Figure the distance some of these corps traveled and ask if the pay must be worth it.

The Baltimore area has several parades, all staggered. A corps can fit in 4-5 on the weekend. Heck, the organizers probably stagger the start time on purpose, so the corps, bands, fire trucks etc can make numerous apperances.

If not answered further down... YES!!!!!

Dundalk starts at 8:30am.... Towson next in line (they usually fit in corps as possible if the corps get delayed) up to the evening parade which is/was Bel Air which ended in the dark the year I was in it.

And to respond to the money vs serious portion of the discussion, I know of at least one corps that is sponsored by a AL Post that does the local Memorial Day parade for free in full uniform regardless of the heat. Corps and some of the local bands are part of the Memorial Day ceremonies after the parade. However 4th of July activities have always been thought of as a celebration IMO. More of a happy time when people enjoy their freedom without being overly seriuos about it if they want. Wish I could dig up John Adams thoughts on this as given in the musical 1776 (my favorite). Let's just say how serious can fireworks be.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Cash brother CASH. It's fundraiser day! Some corps wouldn't get through the summer without a full day on the Fourth!

I'll say this Mr. Boo - i loved doing parades. When I first began marching in high school that's MOSTLY what we did. When Bluecoats were a Class A corps we did parades all the time. It's Americana & drum corps heritage for sure! Wholesome fun ending with FIREWORKS and usually an evening off!

Some parades are REALLY fun - especially if there are four or five REALLY good drum corps involved (BRISTOL!). It's a day when you get to do drum corps in a different way - get off the field for a day and MARCH and PLAY and LAUGH with your friends - and see people who aren't in a truck stop. It's nice to be outside and not have that ###### Dr. Beat piercing your eardrums.

I HATED parades.

Everyone says money. ok... How much money are we talking about for an average parade?

Most of the time....as others have stated....a couple of thousand. There are instances I am aware of where a corps has done a parade and exhibition after the parade for 12k.....not all that common...but these come up every now and again.....especially if you are a premiere group....