Score Inflation

so we are seeing alot of high scores this season. There is a chance (if BAC and Phantom improve by .8 or more tomorrow) that 8 corps will be over 80 before July 4th. That is twice more than last year. Also 11 corps opened with a score over 70, thats 4 more than last year. This makes me ask a few questions.

Is there a chance that every finalist corps will score over 90 this year?

will the top score be over 99.5?

Is the smaller panel causing these scores or are the corps actually better?

well my thoughts are yes, yes and yes. Also I think that if you compare a corps from 10 years ago.....a 10th place corps then would have trouble making semis today with that same show.

Just food for thought.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I say this a lot.

By which I mean A LOT.

Just about every year, and to almost no avail, but I'll say it again:

RAW scores are *meaningless*.

Scores are useful ONLY as a comparative metric between corps within the same season. It is the SPREAD that matters, corps-to-corps, NOT the raw numbers.

This is why "perfect" scores are not actually "perfect". The scale simply stops at a certain point. Poor numbers management can put your back to the wall on that one, but the fact remains that it doesn't matter if a corps has a 42.5 or an 84.3 as long as the numbers are comparable across the board.

so we are seeing alot of high scores this season. There is a chance (if BAC and Phantom improve by .8 or more tomorrow) that 8 corps will be over 80 before July 4th. That is twice more than last year. Also 11 corps opened with a score over 70, thats 4 more than last year. This makes me ask a few questions.

well my thoughts are yes, yes and yes. Also I think that if you compare a corps from 10 years ago.....a 10th place corps then would have trouble making semis today with that same show.

Just food for thought.

HI there,

Interesting... But in general, scores from 10 years ago cannot be compared to today's scores in almost any activity. I have not seen many corps this year as I live on the west coast. SCV is below 80, BD just above. But the Crown, Bluecoats, Cadets, BD, and Cavaliers all over 80 with Crusaders and PR just below looks to make a great competitive season. And SCV has not marched their closer yet. If I left a corp out, my apologies. The point is that the level of excellence seems quite high. As for the judging, I think that they score differently now vs 10 years ago, could be wrong, so it is hard to compare scores from then vs now. As for 99.5, the odds seem very much against that.

Just food for thought.

Is there a chance for all to be over 90? IMO yes anything is possible in any given year. As far as this year it is a real good possibility given the current scoring IMO.

I don't necessarily think that top score has to be over 99.5. Anything is possible score wise, but I have a problem when scores are only given to reflect a certain spread from the other groups and not what they actually earned for a given performance. Duhh..isn't this what happens now anyways liahona?

I can only speak for the groups I've seen this year...but i think many of them are a cut above last year at this same time. The competition is really being just that...very competitive making for an exciting season instead of just nothing but predictable results.

Adding judges is going to widen spreads and level out some scores. I wouldn't call it inflation ... I would call it and generalized rank and rate at this point. Having the added judges on the panel now dealing with the field level adjudicating ................ things will level off and possibly even stall for a while with regards to score.

I have felt there were years where 9 corps should have been over 90 at finals. I just think judges are less likely to give numbers that are deserved when they can just shave tenths to put a corps in the proper slot. Sucks but it's true.

Everything said in this thread is true...... but to answer one of the original questions, I think the corps really are better this year. Maybe not at the very top..... but think how good the 9th place corps will be this year..... or 12th place corps? The mid-pack is very strong which is why so many corps are around the 80 mark right now. Madison and Glassmen are probably fighting for the last finals spot right now...... they have been around 8 points from the best corps, and at finals the spread from 1 to 12 is usually around 13-14 points..... so yes, if the winner pushes out a 98-99, 12th place could easily have a 90. Probably won't happen, as they usually begin finals by scoring lower to leave room..... semis might actually be the best shot for 12 corps to break 90.

I will use Crown as an example, b/c they are in "first" right now.

14 days ago, Crown scored a 73.75

Currently, Crown is sitting at 83.7

If Crown continues like this, on July 16, they will be at 93

and on July 30, they will be at 103

and at Finals, they will score 113.

So... at the rate scores are going now, all the finalists would most likely score over 100.

Therefore, there has to be a correction. And it is going to be a strong one.

Interesting... But in general, scores from 10 years ago cannot be compared to today's scores in almost any activity.

Didn't years ago the judges used a "tick mark" system--deducting fractions of a point for every miscue? When did they stop doing that?

There will either be a strong "correction"--or corps will stay where they are for a few weeks (stagnate)--which has happened before. It's usually the first regional, where surprises happen with these scores.

I will use Crown as an example, b/c they are in "first" right now.

14 days ago, Crown scored a 73.75

Currently, Crown is sitting at 83.7

If Crown continues like this, on July 16, they will be at 93

and on July 30, they will be at 103

and at Finals, they will score 113.

So... at the rate scores are going now, all the finalists would most likely score over 100.

Therefore, there has to be a correction. And it is going to be a strong one.