San Diego Review

So this was my first and perhaps sadly only drum corps show I will probably see this season, thank you Navy.., but it was still a good time. It could have used one more big name corps, (Blue Devils, or Blue Knights) to really make it a good night. A couple of observations, two corps, Incognito and City Sound never showed up, in my 14 years of being in and watching drum corps I've never seen that so hopefully everything is okay.

The stadium and crowd was kind of smallish but considering there weren't many big name corps there this doesn't surprise me.

Velvet Knights

These guys had a lot of nice and funny moments, its the first time I've ever watched the Velvet Knights live and in person so I was excited about that. They are very small with only 15 horns or so... They need to recruit more.

Revolution

I initially watched the Fan Network broadcast of them and only saw about 15 horns and was really concerned about them, however to my relief, they had about 25 horns on the field today, 4 are still learning the show and I'd guess they have two or three more shows left, big step up from Velvet Knights. I think they should have beat Impulse to be honest.

Impulse

These guys had a nice show with about 25 horns. My biggest complaint is that I think most of the horns weren't really playing, almost no volume and they had a full World Class sized drum line, over powered the horns a lot!

Gold

I was pleasantly surprised by this group. I had never seen them and they came out on the field with about 40 horns or so. I wasn't to sure about the primary colors theme, since there uniforms have nothing to do with any primary colors but I still enjoyed the show. They put out a nice sound and I think they'll be able to compete well with the rest of the Open Class corps. Reminded me of a strong Division II corps from back in the day.

Intermission

Long, lasted almost 45 minutes, but this was good! I forgot my jacket in the car so it gave me a chance to get it and get food. Both very key since I was starving! and it got uber-cold...

Mandarins

So I had heard terrible things about this show but it didn't come off as bad as I had heard. They Electronics were a bit over done but you could hear the corps just fine and the blend was acceptable. I really like the guard uniforms, its a shame the corps can't get any bigger. I couldn't figure out if the singing was someone actually singing or just and electronic thing because it sounded like the words changed. I also didn't like how they had the singing going well the corps was playing ff at one point. All and all it was enjoyable and a nice way to start off world class for the night.

Academy

THANK YOU!!! These guys have a really nice show and are putting out some serious sound! Call me a sucker but nothing is better than when a corps is blowing your face off! Full sized corps, you can tell they are making a big push for finals. Hornline is good but its not tight yet, if they clean up the book a lot they will be great. Marching was a little rough to I think. All and all my favorite show of the evening.

Pacific Crest

These guys also had a great show. Not quite as loud as Academy but close. They are playing Asphalt Cocktail which I appreciate as a Bluecoats fan. I really enjoyed the end of the show when they had the full field guard coverage going well the corps was parked and playing my face off. Really nice full field effect.

Santa Clara Vanguard

Some people say this show is a bit out there but I actually enjoyed the classical nature of it. They have some really nice moments, one where the gaurd is on the 50 ish and the horns keep going and going into the form and moving about. There is a lot going on in this show. The girl I was with said that she couldn't have her eyes in enough places. There hornline was by far the best of the night although they never really let go that much. That being said though I imagine when they add the closer they will deliver what we want. On that note.... What a disappointing way to end the night. There show just stopped... and that was it. There wasn't an encore either... I mostly feel bad for the kids of the corps because I remember what that was like and you feel so unsatisfied to end a show like that. They at least could stand still the closer.. Oh well.

All and all though I was happy with the overall show. Gold was my surprise of the night and Favorites went Academy then SCV and then PC. Hopefully I can make another show, I really need to see my Bluecoats :-)

Mark

That being said though I imagine when they add the closer they will deliver what we want.

Wait a minute. The show still isn't finished?

Nice review, though. Thanks.

Edited by TrainWreck

So this was my first and perhaps sadly only drum corps show I will probably see this season, thank you Navy.., but it was still a good time. It could have used one more big name corps, (Blue Devils, or Blue Knights) to really make it a good night. A couple of observations, two corps, Incognito and City Sound never showed up, in my 14 years of being in and watching drum corps I've never seen that so hopefully everything is okay.

The stadium and crowd was kind of smallish but considering there weren't many big name corps there this doesn't surprise me.

Velvet Knights

These guys had a lot of nice and funny moments, its the first time I've ever watched the Velvet Knights live and in person so I was excited about that. They are very small with only 15 horns or so... They need to recruit more.

Revolution

I initially watched the Fan Network broadcast of them and only saw about 15 horns and was really concerned about them, however to my relief, they had about 25 horns on the field today, 4 are still learning the show and I'd guess they have two or three more shows left, big step up from Velvet Knights. I think they should have beat Impulse to be honest.

Impulse

These guys had a nice show with about 25 horns. My biggest complaint is that I think most of the horns weren't really playing, almost no volume and they had a full World Class sized drum line, over powered the horns a lot!

Gold

I was pleasantly surprised by this group. I had never seen them and they came out on the field with about 40 horns or so. I wasn't to sure about the primary colors theme, since there uniforms have nothing to do with any primary colors but I still enjoyed the show. They put out a nice sound and I think they'll be able to compete well with the rest of the Open Class corps. Reminded me of a strong Division II corps from back in the day.

Intermission

Long, lasted almost 45 minutes, but this was good! I forgot my jacket in the car so it gave me a chance to get it and get food. Both very key since I was starving! and it got uber-cold...

Mandarins

So I had heard terrible things about this show but it didn't come off as bad as I had heard. They Electronics were a bit over done but you could hear the corps just fine and the blend was acceptable. I really like the guard uniforms, its a shame the corps can't get any bigger. I couldn't figure out if the singing was someone actually singing or just and electronic thing because it sounded like the words changed. I also didn't like how they had the singing going well the corps was playing ff at one point. All and all it was enjoyable and a nice way to start off world class for the night.

Academy

THANK YOU!!! These guys have a really nice show and are putting out some serious sound! Call me a sucker but nothing is better than when a corps is blowing your face off! Full sized corps, you can tell they are making a big push for finals. Hornline is good but its not tight yet, if they clean up the book a lot they will be great. Marching was a little rough to I think. All and all my favorite show of the evening.

Pacific Crest

These guys also had a great show. Not quite as loud as Academy but close. They are playing Asphalt Cocktail which I appreciate as a Bluecoats fan. I really enjoyed the end of the show when they had the full field guard coverage going well the corps was parked and playing my face off. Really nice full field effect.

Santa Clara Vanguard

Some people say this show is a bit out there but I actually enjoyed the classical nature of it. They have some really nice moments, one where the gaurd is on the 50 ish and the horns keep going and going into the form and moving about. There is a lot going on in this show. The girl I was with said that she couldn't have her eyes in enough places. There hornline was by far the best of the night although they never really let go that much. That being said though I imagine when they add the closer they will deliver what we want. On that note.... What a disappointing way to end the night. There show just stopped... and that was it. There wasn't an encore either... I mostly feel bad for the kids of the corps because I remember what that was like and you feel so unsatisfied to end a show like that. They at least could stand still the closer.. Oh well.

All and all though I was happy with the overall show. Gold was my surprise of the night and Favorites went Academy then SCV and then PC. Hopefully I can make another show, I really need to see my Bluecoats :-)

Mark

Where are you stationed at? I am in the Navy too.

Frankly - that's ridiculous that SCV's show is not finished.

I propose that Hopkins or somebody come up with a rule that if a corps is not able to compete with their FULL SHOW ON THE FIELD (i,e, marching too) then they must go on during intermission in exhibition. In addition to that, they receive no money for their appearance. I can't believe this is tolerated by DCI.

People are paying for show tickets and the top corps at the doesn't even have a complete show?

That's considered class? I find it ridiculous.

Frankly - that's ridiculous that SCV's show is not finished.

I propose that Hopkins or somebody come up with a rule that if a corps is not able to compete with their FULL SHOW ON THE FIELD (i,e, marching too) then they must go on during intermission in exhibition. In addition to that, they receive no money for their appearance. I can't believe this is tolerated by DCI.

People are paying for show tickets and the top corps at the doesn't even have a complete show?

That's considered class? I find it ridiculous.

A Men!

They had all winter to finish it - no excuse.