Incomplete Shows

True enough. And conversely, lots of fans now don't show up for mid Jun shows. As such, the Corps who don't have " complete shows " likewise probably don't know that they don't have " complete fans" at these shows either. The only ones that get screwed in this type of a deal are the sponsors with less and less fans in June shows, that's all.. But if thet don't complain, then I dont see the problem. Half arse completed shows = half arse numbers of fans in the half arse filled stands with half the # of judges. Sounds about right to me, frankly.

Good point! I've noticed that a lot of fans who are either less familiar with the dynamics of the activity or have not marched before don't necessarily realize/care about the cleanliness/completeness of shows relative to the "final product." I try to avoid early-season shows because I know if I'm going to be able to afford a single show, I'd rather get a more clean, complete product. Before I marched, I would never have known this and always attended the nearest shows simply because I loved watching drum corps. I get the feeling that the stands won't hurt so much because of the targeted fan base - alumni who want to see their corps no matter where they are in the season, enthusiastic band kids who just want to see the epitome of marching music live, parents who just want to see their kid march, etc. will be there no matter what. The number of "in the know" fans is significantly less by comparison to those major groups, I think. You definitely lose those people, though, if an opportunity to see a show at a later date is possible.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I propose to Hopkins et al that come up with rules proposals to propose a rule such that corps with incomplete shows by the time the season starts must appear in exhibition during intermission or prior to the start of the show for every show they are not prepared to compete in. They also receive no performance fees until they have a complete show.

Can't believe this is tolerated by DCI (i.e. SCV show not finished by the first week of July).

Amen! One would never pay to see Phantom of the Opera on Broadway where the end was not presented. One would never go to see a concert of Beethoven's 9th symphony where the fourth movement wasn't played because it wasn't ready.

If there isn't some sort of drill, music and/or guardwork for the entire show (say, at least nine minutes worth) the corps should be in exhibition and not get paid. And if a corps can't be ready, perhaps it has bitten off more than in can chew.

To be honest, if I were at an early season show I would rather see a 3/4 complete show performed well as opposed to a a show that was rushed to completion, for the point of completion, only to watch it meltdown or fall apart. Like a few people have already said, these "complete" shows now are not complete. The only complete version of any show in any year is the final performance because after that it can't be tweaked anymore.

To be honest, if I were at an early season show I would rather see a 3/4 complete show performed well as opposed to a a show that was rushed to completion, for the point of completion, only to watch it meltdown or fall apart. Like a few people have already said, these "complete" shows now are not complete. The only complete version of any show in any year is the final performance because after that it can't be tweaked anymore.

and of course the largest audience to witness a completed show is the last show done too.

Funny how this all works this way. But it makes sense. Small crowds in half completed shows.. larger crowds at complete shows at the end.

and of course the largest audience to witness a completed show is the last show done too.

Funny how this all works this way. But it makes sense. Small crowds in half completed shows.. larger crowds at complete shows at the end.

Eh, venues get larger as the season progresses. There is no opportunity for, say, Boylan HS to hold as many people as the Alamodome and there's no way that venue holds as many as Lucas Oil. So really, it's actually impossible to logically confirm the truth of this because of that bias alone.

Does anybody have an incomplete show in July?

Allegedly SCV.

So I guess 1976 Scouts should have been DQ based on the general consensus on this thread.

They rewrote most if not all of their show mid to late season.

These are not professionals they are youth and as such their staff can manage their show as they see fit IMHO.

If you have problems with this then just don't go in June, July, or even early August.

I feel that it would be really great if we can just enjoy what each corps is trying to do and stop the gripes about matters like this.

If there isn't some sort of drill, music and/or guardwork for the entire show (say, at least nine minutes worth) the corps should be in exhibition and not get paid. And if a corps can't be ready, perhaps it has bitten off more than in can chew.

Name one corps that has not put at least 9 minutes worth of a show on the field by July 1st.

Closest that I can remember is that 1987 Cadets had very little if any guard work for 1/2 of their show at that point but the did have drill and music.