Has Fieldler really made a difference with SCV?

All of SCV Alumni are waiting to see Santa Clara Vanguard rise back up to the top. They were at one time "Corps of the Decades" - 1970's winning more shows than any other corps during that time. As an alumni that marched during that time, we are wishing much success for the current Vanguard members. Just wondering if Fiedler is making any difference?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering this is the beginning of year two, who knows? It's too early in the season to tell.

Give him some time. I am sure he will get them on top pretty soon! And I have only heard great things from there as of right now so I have my faith in him. Besides I am a cavie fan and he did lead them to every single title. But I have often wondered when will SCV win again...

Well, all I can say is I LOVED last year's show. It was my favorite show after Crown's. I liked what I saw in Clovis a couple weeks back but I'm looking forward to seeing them in Houston to finally see the closer.

It's only been one full year for him

It's only been one full year for him

I had heard that he wasn't going to have as much direct involvement as he did with the Cavies. How much "hands on" interaction he has with the corps could be a factor on his impact. Curious if anyone can attest to his level of direct engagement with the corps or is he more of the advising type?

All of SCV Alumni are waiting to see Santa Clara Vanguard rise back up to the top. They were at one time "Corps of the Decades" - 1970's winning more shows than any other corps during that time. As an alumni that marched during that time, we are wishing much success for the current Vanguard members. Just wondering if Fiedler is making any difference?

I don't know him, and I would have no clue how he has been doing with SCV, but my feeling is that he is working his tail end off and making a huge difference. Anyone who puts in long hours and deals with the constant struggles of keeping a drum and bugle corps alive is doing a great service to our activity. I highly doubt winning is the ultimate goal. It is nice, and they are certainly striving for it, but if your only definition for his success, and that of the corps, is winning, then it becomes difficult to be realistic and to put the focus on the more important objectives.

Also, just my opinion, but what your corps did in the 70s and 80s has no bearing on today. Great for history, yes. But as it stands, SCV has not exactly been a contender all that much since 1990 (the last 20 years). Take out 1998 and 1999 and there are plenty of amazing Vanguard shows, but not title shows. Does that make them less successful over the past 20 years? Gosh I hope not. But if your only goal is for them to win titles, then I guess they are 1 - 19. Who wants to look at it that way?

The real record: classy organization, great shows, excellent membership and community service and outreach, and they manage their assets as well as anyone in the business. NOW...that is successful!

Also, just my opinion, but what your corps did in the 70s and 80s has no bearing on today. Great for history, yes. But as it stands, SCV has not exactly been a contender all that much since 1990 (the last 20 years). Take out 1998 and 1999 and there are plenty of amazing Vanguard shows, but not title shows.

I think a lot of people, including myself, would disagree with you on that. Just because they didn't finish on the podium doesn't mean they didn't have championship caliber shows. If you ever think SCV is not, "in the hunt," or, "a threat," then your judgment is completely misguided.

Uhhh I think they pretty much kept the core nucleus of their staff in place for the first time in about a decade so I think that's a pretty good start actually.

Also, isn't he serving more of an executive role, focusing more on the business operations and less on the design/direction of the show?

Uhhh I think they pretty much kept the core nucleus of their staff in place for the first time in about a decade so I think that's a pretty good start actually.

Also, isn't he serving more of an executive role, focusing more on the business operations and less on the design/direction of the show?

Thats what I was getting at in my previous question about how hands on he is. He was suppose to be more involved with the business end of things with less involvement with daily operations/management or design/direction as far as I heard. I'm wondering if someone can say for sure what capacity he has taken up with the corps?