Has Fieldler really made a difference with SCV?

Thats what I was getting at in my previous question about how hands on he is. He was suppose to be more involved with the business end of things with less involvement with daily operations/management or design/direction as far as I heard. I'm wondering if someone can say for sure what capacity he has taken up with the corps?

http://www.scvanguard.org/about/news/news....2e-e0ea9efa074b

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's changed a bit from what it was when that article was published. Jeff Pearson was still director, and Fiedler's role was to run the business end of things. With Pearson gone, Fiedler has taken over many of the "corps director" responsibilities.

That's changed a bit from what it was when that article was published. Jeff Pearson was still director, and Fiedler's role was to run the business end of things. With Pearson gone, Fiedler has taken over many of the "corps director" responsibilities.

####, I forgot that Pearson is gone. My bad.

All of SCV Alumni are waiting to see Santa Clara Vanguard rise back up to the top. They were at one time "Corps of the Decades" - 1970's winning more shows than any other corps during that time. As an alumni that marched during that time, we are wishing much success for the current Vanguard members. Just wondering if Fiedler is making any difference?

1) as others have mentioned, he's been on the job a very short time, too short, IMO to make a judgement either way

2) as others have mentioned, I think staff continuity has been better in his very short term than in awhile, so that's a great piece of success

3) while competitive success is the easiest way to gauge a director's success, what is just as, if not more important is the financial and business success at SCV.

Also, and this kind of falls under 3 but also crosses over into competitive success:

* SCV's WGI Guard (started in 06), under his reign as CEO, went from the "bottom" half of the IW to Top 4, winning Gold and Silver the last two seasons

* SCV Cadets won Open Class in 08, and second in 09

* SCV Cadets started an IO percussion group that handily won all of the shows they competed at.

In his short tenure so far, Fiedler has helped nurture the 'young' WGI IW guard to both a gold and silver medal, and has ensured SCV's financial situation is solid enough to form a WGI IO percussion group. I think it takes time to nurture a corps to enough growth where they are contending for a championship. After Crown dropped to 16 place, it was a slow but steady build to their silver medal finish from last year. I think at this point, even though early, it's safe for SCV fans to be "cautiously optimistic" for SCV's future competitive success.

To the original poster, why dont you call Jeff and ask him?

He's a very frank (but eloquent) person and I'm sure he'd be glad to tell you where SCV is at and where they need help...the question is...as a concerned alum are you willing to lend a hand?

Looking at his past results...especially in the last decade, I'd say SCV may possibly have the best corps director in the activity in their ranks....so if he is not "making a difference"...I'm not really sure who would.

Fiedler is an icon, in some peoples eyes. We all should just sit back and enjoy all the shows, cause I dont know what you all are seeing but there is some serious shows out there. I have seen them- live. You all are not playing A. S. agian this year. Gonna be tough reaching 5th, 1st no. Seen the BLUECOATS live yet? Can I say CAROLINA CROWN. BLUE DEVILS. CADETS live is pretty frikin cool, CAVALIERS are pretty serious and who knows were the heck they are going to put PHANTOM REGIMENT. BLUE KNIGHTS are gonna get a hole lot better right? GLASSMEN live is pretty good this year, the BOSTON CRUSADERS are not gonna let people forget about the EAST. Can you all say BLUE STARS with me. Than after all that, you still need to think that the MADISON SCOUTS scored a 76 Saturday. Whens the last time you all have seen us this close this early. Its been awhile. There real good- live. And alot more to come. Its gonna be a great summer of Drum Corps, just enjoy it. GO SANTA CLARA VANGUARD! Have fun.

1) as others have mentioned, he's been on the job a very short time, too short, IMO to make a judgement either way

2) as others have mentioned, I think staff continuity has been better in his very short term than in awhile, so that's a great piece of success

3) while competitive success is the easiest way to gauge a director's success, what is just as, if not more important is the financial and business success at SCV.

Also, and this kind of falls under 3 but also crosses over into competitive success:

* SCV's WGI Guard (started in 06), under his reign as CEO, went from the "bottom" half of the IW to Top 4, winning Gold and Silver the last two seasons

* SCV Cadets won Open Class in 08, and second in 09

* SCV Cadets started an IO percussion group that handily won all of the shows they competed at.

In his short tenure so far, Fiedler has helped nurture the 'young' WGI IW guard to both a gold and silver medal, and has ensured SCV's financial situation is solid enough to form a WGI IO percussion group. I think it takes time to nurture a corps to enough growth where they are contending for a championship. After Crown dropped to 16 place, it was a slow but steady build to their silver medal finish from last year. I think at this point, even though early, it's safe for SCV fans to be "cautiously optimistic" for SCV's future competitive success.

This.

IMO the most critical components of any successful drum corps is sustainability and consistency of staff. If you look at the Cadets, BD, CC and a few others, the overwhelming similarity is a stable staff. A staff that is kept together can learn each other's skills and build an environment of creativity. Some corps have found that constantly hiring and firing a staff or designer de jour (mostly piecemeal) is a formula that's not sustainable. But to keep a staff together you must have resources…and the wheel goes round and round.

Fiedler has built a sustainable and successful team in the past and knows that it takes time. To do that you must have a business plan that looks out several years and one that seeks innovation by way of resources. Mason and company at Madison are also aware of this and are building a team for the long haul. In fact, I look to Madison to be a powerhouse in the future for no other reason than Mason's understanding of organization and team building. So in short, hire a staff, support it, then build an atmosphere that's creativity-friendly and success will be a byproduct...all of which takes time.

Edited by Plan9

I think these things may take a little time. Groundwork has to be laid.

For example, I've heard that he was appalled at the average age of the corps when he got there and perhaps SCV's recruiting philosophy in general. As I understand it, he's trying to change this, and such changes would take a bit to manifest themselves in corps placement.

For what it's worth, on the Educational Staff list on the SCV website, Jeff Fiedler is listed as "Program Manager."

I think a lot of people, including myself, would disagree with you on that. Just because they didn't finish on the podium doesn't mean they didn't have championship caliber shows. If you ever think SCV is not, "in the hunt," or, "a threat," then your judgment is completely misguided.

The reality is that while always a threat for top 5, SCV is not always a threat, (at times not even a distant threat) for 1st place.