Has Fieldler really made a difference with SCV?

To the original poster, why dont you call Jeff and ask him?

He's a very frank (but eloquent) person and I'm sure he'd be glad to tell you where SCV is at and where they need help...the question is...as a concerned alum are you willing to lend a hand?

I'm glad I kept reading -- I was going to recommend the exact same thing.

Jeff doesn't shy away from questions and is honest and diplomatic (sometimes even a little wryly sarcastic) in his responses. It's part of the guy's charm ... and yes, if you're an alum, he'll probably invite you to come around and see for yourself.. after all, the best way to retain the relevance of Vanguard's history in the eyes of its current members is to have some of it actually participate in the current process.

The OP said, "SCV Alumni have been waiting for SCV to rise back to the top" (not an exact quote but as close as I could remember).. IMO, therein lies the problem. Too often, alumni want to be impressed.. to pass the torch and they forget that sometimes the torch needs fuel and re-lighting. Your alumni status comes with more than a right to an opinion about your former corps.. have that, sure.. but back it up with deeds.

Think about it.

See you on tour!

Stef

Edited by ScribeToo

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The reality is that while always a threat for top 5, SCV is not always a threat, (at times not even a distant threat) for 1st place.

This.

I consider SCV an elite corps, definitely one of the big dogs, but I honestly don't think they've been a threat for 1st in a long time. The closest is 04 and even then BD and Cavies' shows were so good they were hardly a contender even though they were 3rd.

edit: I think Fiedler is doing good and the corps is doing well, I'm not judging success based on being in the run for a championship that was just in response to someone else's statement that SCV is always a #1 contender every year.

Edited by Abbevillekid26

From what I've seen, as an alumnus and local band director who has had a number of students marching in either of the SCV corps in recent years, Jeff has made a MAJOR difference in the corps' operations, both on a large-scale (helping it to transition to a quality, well-organized and business-like model, which it had seriously lost for a while) and on a day-to-day operations level. There were times in the post-Royer years that I would cringe at some of the stories I heard... the spirit is good, the environment for the members is good and the emphasis seems to be on providing a quality educational environment.... and that's what Jeff's brought. A stable instructional staff will by key to continued growth (and that staff needs a vision and to learn how to write a show that appeals as much to the non-drum corps audience as much as it does to the SCV fan base) but there's no doubting the powerful effect he's had in rebuilding and refining the Vanguard organization.

Fiedler, for all intents and purposes, JUST GOT HERE! Give him a chance?

After all, who didn't LOVE, ABSOLUTELY LOVE last year's show? This year's show is maybe a bit of a departure emotionally, but when they get that show clean it's going to take out a few corps, that's for sure.

Not that I don't understand some of the frustration out there where SCV's competitive success is concerned, I for one am getting a bit tired of them "living" between 5th and 7th place. However, all I can really do is give them my love and support, and best wishes for the 2010 season.

Dont forget, not only is Feidler at SCV but the last really successful SCV director JW Keoster (sp?) is involved with the organization again as well.

Having 2 Championship Directors involved with the program can only lead to good things.

As a Vanguard Alumni, I too would love to see them win another one, but I thought last year was a huge success!!

SIDE NOTE: If you judge success or failure on whether or not you win a championship you are in the wrong activity. If that is the case, there are only 2 successful corps a year (World and Open) and 30ish unsuccessful programs.

From what I've seen, as an alumnus and local band director who has had a number of students marching in either of the SCV corps in recent years, Jeff has made a MAJOR difference in the corps' operations, both on a large-scale (helping it to transition to a quality, well-organized and business-like model, which it had seriously lost for a while) and on a day-to-day operations level. There were times in the post-Royer years that I would cringe at some of the stories I heard... the spirit is good, the environment for the members is good and the emphasis seems to be on providing a quality educational environment.... and that's what Jeff's brought. A stable instructional staff will by key to continued growth (and that staff needs a vision and to learn how to write a show that appeals as much to the non-drum corps audience as much as it does to the SCV fan base) but there's no doubting the powerful effect he's had in rebuilding and refining the Vanguard organization.

Having only met him once, I would tend to think things could only better. Talk about someone who has an enormous amount of dedication to the activity and the youth it serves--it would be Jeff.

And SCV is only going to get better.....

That's changed a bit from what it was when that article was published. Jeff Pearson was still director, and Fiedler's role was to run the business end of things. With Pearson gone, Fiedler has taken over many of the "corps director" responsibilities.

I know that when he came over to SCV he was clearly suppose to remain in more of an executive role. I'm wondering if he's not looking for someone to take over the "corps director", daily type responsibilities.

Yes, he has.

Next thread?

Yes, he has.

Next thread?

Thank you, yes.

If Feidler has started an indoor percussion section for SCV cadets that will make a positive impact, but not for a few years. My question is: what part of what SCV needs improvement? Its certainly not the percussion writing--SCV has always had an enviable pit book and very musical battery. And the horn book is always among the best in DCI. Last year, the battery performance was weak until the very end of the year. I think SCVs weakness is the maturity of their performers, so improving the winter percussion and winter gaurd programs seems like an appropriate first step. You won't see the results for a few years, but any time you invest in young people you will eventually reap the reward.