2010 - Best year since?

So, did you like the chairs last year? No? how about 2 years ago? I think that the BD show is the most innovative show in years, and they did it 2 years in a row. However, I can see how a lot of people cannot handle innovation or new direction.

How many times does one have to say that it's their personal taste and their personal opinion before they don't get crap from someone?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, did you like the chairs last year? No? how about 2 years ago? I think that the BD show is the most innovative show in years, and they did it 2 years in a row. However, I can see how a lot of people cannot handle innovation or new direction.

Just because you are innovative doesn't mean you are entertaining. And as a fan, before I plunk down $25 a person for my family to go see a show, I want to know they are going to be entertained. My eight year old hated it, was bored with it. My wife played with her iPhone during the show, when I asked why she said because she thought it was boring, confusing, and felt like the she was being pummeled with noise (note, she is the mother is three young boys who love to scream, yell and beat on things for 16 hours a day so she is an expert when it comes to noise).

But just to let you know that there is good stuff happening out there, although I have not viewed them in person, I absolutely love Phantom, Blue Stars, and Madison, and like Crown, Bluecoats (this one is growing on me) and Cadets. I have not heard/seen BK, Boston, Glassmen, Troop or Colts yet.

And for the record, what I saw last night was not something I would consider to be entertaining. And innovative is not always a good thing.

Edited by Newseditor44

Well it is your opinion and I will respect it... however score wise this has been an amazing year so far

Do you mean because they're close or because they're high? Close scores I can agree are exciting, but personally, it's my belief that a season with lower scores is better than a season with high scores. 2002, 2005 and 2009 all had a score above 99, and I do not like those years.

Yes I can... and I have many times before! LOL

Seriously, I saw BD and SCV last night, and can say with all certainty that I have never disliked a show as much as I dislike BD's show this year. Just personal taste on my part, but I thought design wise it was crap. But that's my opinion. I haven't seen the east coast corps live, but watched them on video, and I love Regiment, Blue Stars and Madison. The others are ok, but I don't think they are good enough to classify them as best year since (insert year here).

Just my opinion though.

I really like the concept of BD's show, and they're pulling it off well, but the show itself I can't get into. SCV, though, has an amazing show! When it's all said and done, I don't know if I'll like them or Star 93 more.

Just because you are innovative doesn't mean you are entertaining. And as a fan, before I plunk down $25 a person for my family to go see a show, I want to know they are going to be entertained. My eight year old hated it, was bored with it. My wife played with her iPhone during the show, when I asked why she said because she thought it was boring, confusing, and felt like the she was being pummeled with noise (note, she is the mother is three young boys who love to scream, yell and beat on things for 16 hours a day so she is an expert at noise).

And for the record, what I saw last night was not something I would consider to be entertaining. And innovative is not always a good thing.

That's interesting. With very few exceptions I have always been bored by the BD shows, and I can't ever quite put my finger on why. Maybe I've grown to not be turned on by insanely loud jazz (which I liked when I was a brass player). Maybe its too clean? Maybe the formula they use to win just leaves me out in the cold? Glad to see I'm not alone here. Every one of their shows of this decade except for The Phenomenon of Cool and The Godfather Part Blue has bored me to yawns.

I have a lot of respect for them and believe they are an incredible corps, but I've never cared for their shows.

There's that word again......

Nothing any corps has done in the last several years has been "innovative." NOTHING.

Edited by megadrive

This is a good year so far. My benchmark year is 2000, but whether or not 2010 approaches that level remains to be seen. I'm optimistic.

There's that word again......

Nothing any corps has done in the last several years has been "innovative." NOTHING.

I can't say I agree with that. The mirrors are a very cool idea. The uniforms from 05 Cadets were awesome too (one of the better uses of new ideas), and even the ladders from Cavies 05 were innovative. I can't say that all of these ideas were/are used to their full potential, but the concepts are there and they are definitely unique.

Innovative to me means "what new thing can I do/add/take away to bring a new element to design." Blue Devils 2010 aside, don't think you that mirrors potentially add an element to design?

Do you mean because they're close or because they're high? Close scores I can agree are exciting, but personally, it's my belief that a season with lower scores is better than a season with high scores. 2002, 2005 and 2009 all had a score above 99, and I do not like those years.

Yes thats what I meant.