Dublin Downs

Well, I come here to find out what people thought of our show, and all I get is FOOD NETWORK! Jeesh.

We had our largest attendance ever - expecting the final number to be over 4,000.

Concessions were waaayyy backed up at INT. (Note to self for next year).

Timing went off well. Saw some comments about Cavies late to start. They were right on time.

Most shows seemed flat to me (but I was on the track for BS). Crown's visual on the 50 (MM's lying on their backs) was great from the stands.

Madison was awesome, but I'm REALLY missing those G-horns. Short sleeves and gauntlets were nice. Guard was indistinguishable from the corps - got lost.

'Coats were exciting, but Asphalt Highway left me wanting more of Mackey's craziness.

THANKS TO ALL WHO CAME! By all measures it was a success.

Award given to the show director provided by Columbus Pro Percussion was the top two hoops of a marching snare with an engraved plaque glued to the head. Perfect for hanging in his study.

Been up since 3:30am to meet arriving corps this morning. I'm exhausted. Good night all!

Chillax!

We only started to talk about food, not even healthy food, after the show was over and we were waiting to see scores.

Why not talk about food? Jeesh :thumbdown:

There were pages and pages about the show before and after the aside.

Once again, would we treat each other like this in person?

Glad to know that the show was a success. The last time I went to that venue was 1992. I went to the Pageant of Champions at Cooper Stadium for many years before this show was established.

I hope it continues to be a success. :whistle:

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is actually true that he marched at Coats.

I know the percussion judge marched Coats in 88 & 89 then went to star in 90 & 91, but I don't know the other guy.

I have a few opinions, and the are JUST OPINIONS!!!!

1- judging. judging varies very dramatically from judge to judge based on preferences and what the each look for. just less than a week ago at a previous contest, crown beat both the bluecoats and phantom in percussion, then tonight they finished third. just a difference in judges point of view. also just for pure speculation puropes (tonights judge was the same judge that had crown 4th at quarterfinals last yr, and as everyone knows the ended up only being like .2 back of BD for best overall percussion)

2-Inexperience. Crown has many new faces on its line this yr. they are still learning to play with each other and i personally (again just my opinion) believe their book to be more challenging and difficult than some lines, say the cavies for example. so the caives may be cleaner at this point in time, therefore scoring higher, but it will be interesting to see how crown comes together over the next month and change and i expect them to be scoring much better if not beating a few of the groups ahead of them come finals time

alot of them played together at Redline.

I have a few opinions, and the are JUST OPINIONS!!!!

1- judging. judging varies very dramatically from judge to judge based on preferences and what the each look for. just less than a week ago at a previous contest, crown beat both the bluecoats and phantom in percussion, then tonight they finished third. just a difference in judges point of view. also just for pure speculation puropes (tonights judge was the same judge that had crown 4th at quarterfinals last yr, and as everyone knows the ended up only being like .2 back of BD for best overall percussion)

2-Inexperience. Crown has many new faces on its line this yr. they are still learning to play with each other and i personally (again just my opinion) believe their book to be more challenging and difficult than some lines, say the cavies for example. so the caives may be cleaner at this point in time, therefore scoring higher, but it will be interesting to see how crown comes together over the next month and change and i expect them to be scoring much better if not beating a few of the groups ahead of them come finals time

Hmm. There's a couple things in your first paragraph I disagree with. First, aren't all judges trained and instructed to look for the same things and evaluate accordingly, and NOT judge based on personal preference? It seems people forget that drumlines can come out and rock it, and at times they can come out and do ok, and at times they can come out and bag it. Everyone has bad shows from time to time. I don't think it is accurate to blame judges "preferences" on score fluxuations, UNLESS there is a long string of scores that seem consistent over time and then one that pops out as being vastly different on one night. Then you may have an argument that the one score is an anomaly.

If I recall correctly, the Blue Stars had a lot of age outs in the guard last year. I could be wrong. Although the guard is good, they don't seem to have the talent or fitness level that they've had the past couple of years.

I really enjoy the Blue Stars this year; however, the overuse of props could possibly hinder thier progress onward and upward in the long run. If they are going to run with those at the top, they are going to have to mature beyond the crutch of props. I'm not 100% ready to hit the panic button on the Blue Stars, yet; however, they have a lot to explore this season and looking ahead to next year if they really want to move up toward the upper echlon.

Blue Stars guard has mostly returnees. The guard work is *very* difficult and highly exposed because of the staging. IMHO it is among the most difficult guard books ever put onto the field in DCI. Spinning a flag with no hands, in straightjackets. Spinning the next 20 seconds with one hand still in the straightjacket. Spinning sabres while wearing handcuffs. Rifles with many innovative moves. Lots of mixed meter and mixed tempo. great dancers. Several amazing unison flag features. All fully integrated into the drill at all points. The work is very musical as well. The box props are used very well to convey the theme, and there is likely more coming. It's going to be fantastical once it's cleaned.

---tom

Edited by TomVV

Spinning sabres while wearing handcuffs.

---tom

remember, bluecoats didn't get any credit for spinning while wearing handcuffs in 2007

Hmm. There's a couple things in your first paragraph I disagree with. First, aren't all judges trained and instructed to look for the same things and evaluate accordingly, and NOT judge based on personal preference? It seems people forget that drumlines can come out and rock it, and at times they can come out and do ok, and at times they can come out and bag it. Everyone has bad shows from time to time. I don't think it is accurate to blame judges "preferences" on score fluxuations, UNLESS there is a long string of scores that seem consistent over time and then one that pops out as being vastly different on one night. Then you may have an argument that the one score is an anomaly.

there is alot of truth in what you say. i had just driven all the way back home to lexington from dublin and it was pretty late when i wrote this last night. maybe preferences wasnt the best word to use in that scenario. the biggest thing i was trying to get at was just that even tho theyare all trained to look at the same things, one might be more keen on technique, where one might give credit for demand. a judge may be out in the field in front of the battery and miss a good front ensemble element. or vice versa. really was just trying to hint that there are alot of things that can cause a judges take from night to night to fluctuate

alot of them played together at Redline.

4 out of 9, but the four of them are not standing next to each other on this line. therefore have to get new feels for new players to know when to adjust to them as far a listening, speeding up slowing down ect. plus adjusting to playing with a large brass sound that can have some effect on the a fore mentioned.