Spuds and Thuds

No one ever said that being a drum corps mom was easy, haha :thumbup: ! In my experience it has always seemed that the scores bother us way more than they do the kids...but I truly understand how you feel.

I have plenty of experience with coming in last as a hockey mom :-) Shocked that I can be so fired up over drum and bugle corps!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly the scores do bug me now more then when I was marching. They definitely used to bug me then though. I HATED having a great great show and going down a point, and then you have a terrible show and go up 3. It stinks having to play the "drum corps game" all the time.

I haven't really been following World Class, but the Open Class scores from the NW shows seem to indicate serious judging inconsistencies. The Cascades can certainly hope for a score that will bring them out of last place when the panel gets changed (is it changing in Ogden? I would guess not). That said, I would be shocked if the Cascades didn't look unprepared if they put out the full show after two weeks of all days.

At memorial weekend, the Cascades could get to the end of their ballad with drill,

that's about 2/3 of their show. They have been super prepared all winter.

Not so difficult to imagine them putting the rest together in 2 weeks of all days.

Sure the guard might have struggled.

There were other groups at Hillsboro that didn't do their whole show,

that DID look unprepared. A clean 5 minutes is not considered prepared.

There is no myth to this topic, Cascades were prepared at Hillsboro

and did a fine job.

At memorial weekend, the Cascades could get to the end of their ballad with drill,

Not so difficult to imagine them putting the rest together in 2 weeks of all days.

and did a fine job.

I guess I will have to respectfully disagree. The Cascades didn’t look prepared for competition in Hillsboro to me, and I think their score reflected that. They really don’t face any close competition until they meet up with the Mandarins on the 10th. We will have to wait till then to see how they fair with like competition. They should be glad to field a corps after skipping a year and not such a strong start last year. They do look better than last year at this point.

and did a fine job.

I knew from speaking with those more educated on drum corps than I am that they weren't expected to put up scores with the big guns. Their goal is to grow and improve on last year. I think their performance has surpassed expectations and while I am not an expert on drill and all that is a DCI competition I know decent music when I hear it and they sounded wonderful. So scores be ######....every Corps that shows up and does their best deserves a pat on the back! And maybe my least favorite panel of judges (so far) will lose their way to Ogden tonight :smile:

I guess I will have to respectfully disagree. The Cascades didn’t look prepared for competition in Hillsboro to me, and I think their score reflected that. They really don’t face any close competition until they meet up with the Mandarins on the 10th. We will have to wait till then to see how they fair with like competition. They should be glad to field a corps after skipping a year and not such a strong start last year. They do look better than last year at this point.

I haven't seen them compete so I cannot comment on their show! Prepared or not they are working their tails off. I am proud of them for going out night after night and giving it their all against very good competition! Trying to rebuild a program takes a lot of time, patience and courage. It's no fun losing ...but when you can get back on that horse knowing you are going to get thrown off that builds character. My daughter may not come home with a gold medal but she will have plenty of great memories and a summer full of life lessons.

I haven't seen them compete so I cannot comment on their show! Prepared or not they are working their tails off. I am proud of them for going out night after night and giving it their all against very good competition! Trying to rebuild a program takes a lot of time, patience and courage. It's no fun losing ...but when you can get back on that horse knowing you are going to get thrown off that builds character. My daughter may not come home with a gold medal but she will have plenty of great memories and a summer full of life lessons.

Amen and I don't know what all the fuss is about with other folks arguing about what review says this or that. I am glad to see Cascades moving forward and hope they get back to being very competitive in the near future. In the mean time, I am glad to see they are making positive impacts on parents and students involved in their organization!! Cascades- Once again it's great to see you back on the field for the 2nd year in a row, keep it up!!

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98