Drums Along the Rockies

I appreciate your take on the Dev's 2010, but isn't it possible that you're just not seeing the concept yet? You say you like the music (the #1 criticism on these threads, by the way), but not the viz. Just a thought, but if you check out the VOD, you will see that the cadets put all of their hats on the ground occupying visual space and making the corps appear bigger.....just brilliant design, I love it...but BD's chairs did the same thing last year and the critics on DCP screamed "bogus". I really think some folks are just turning off their "like" switches whenever they see them...there's nothing BD can do to change their minds...nothing! Except lose!

Honestly, I don't like that part of visual from the Cadets show. That part just feels cheap to me; it feels like cheating for some reason. But they march the heck out of the rest of the show, they play some beautiful music, and the characterization of the guard and corps does reach out to me. The rest of the show I find just amazing. So I can overlook them putting their hats on the ground for a few seconds.

The chairs...well... we won't get into that.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you should surf around the tube some... maybe try "dci retreat 2008 revelation"

Soccerguy, I have said some tough things about your posts, but this post shows that I was incorrect...

:smile:

Yeah, it was pretty much established a long time ago that it wasn't the Devs... lots of corps were doing it. To be honest, it's pretty common, too. The season's over, people are going all out for fun even though their chops are blown, just having a good time goofing off.

I have a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to midwest drum corps fans. It all stems from 2009 when the world champions were heavily booed by the fans. Don't like it? Fine, don't clap then. But booing? Utterly classless. That goes for fans who booed the Cadets a few years ago, too.

You can't be selective with your morality. Well, I suppose you could, but then you would be a hypocrite.

+1

Honestly, I don't like that part of visual from the Cadets show. That part just feels cheap to me; it feels like cheating for some reason. But they march the heck out of the rest of the show, they play some beautiful music, and the characterization of the guard and corps does reach out to me. The rest of the show I find just amazing. So I can overlook them putting their hats on the ground for a few seconds.

The chairs...well... we won't get into that.

Cheap is using a bunch a props to make your show look better. Whatever happened to the days where you could just do a show that has no real theme, and just works? Long gone I guess...........

I can name 2..... 1988 and 2006.

Sorry 84 was All Cadets all day...and SCV even thinks they deserved it over BD that year.

I got news for you...even members of CADETS thought they'd lost in 84....at least until the scores were announced. The captions were announced as the night went on, so we KNEW it was gonna be close.

Vanguard ... I love Vanguard ... They are, after all, the best of the west.

I see... ok.

My recap to follow. But first, a rant.

I'm sorry ... I don't care what anyone else has to say, but I am calling Shenanigans on BD's score tonight. I know this means nothing since there are 5 weeks of the season left, but The Cadets far outperformed them, if you ask me, and it's a Crime that BD gets scored so high for mediocrity -- especially two weeks before San Antonio. At this rate, they'll be scoring past 100 at Allentown and into the 110's at Finals. It'd be different if their show was musically interesting, but it's not. That's why I liked last year's show. It was musically entertaining. This show reminds me of Cavaliers of late (2005-2007, 2009) ... a visual show accompanied by "music." That's not what makes a good show. A good show, a show worthy of scoring 88 with 5 weeks remaining, is one you can hum to yourself. One you listen to time and time again and don't get tired of. One that will just randomly pop up in your head and you can't get it out ... not that you want it to. Examples: Cadets 2000 ... Phantom 2008 ... SCV 1989 AND 2009 ... Star 1993 ... Madison 1995 ... Blue Devils 2000, 2001, 2003, 2009 ... Crown 2004-present ... Blue Knights 2009 ... Bluecoats 2007-present.

That brings me to another point.

I agree fully! I was there ... I heard them ... I was one of the people booing ... and the boo's were loud. I wasn't booing the corps, but the score. It was ridiculous that they scored a 99.05 with a Visual score of 29.95. Blue Devils did not deserve that score last year. And, before you call me a Crown honk, I don't mean this because I feel Crown should've won. Points should have been taken away for the fact that for about 3 minutes of the show, they were standing or sitting and doing "body" (if you can to call it that) that any average person could sit down and do in their free time and it would only take them 5 minutes to learn it. Points should not be given for that. However, it seems to me that, lately, the Blue Devils can do no wrong. I bet they could go out on the field and perform the dirtiest show on record full of musical fail and dirty drill and the judges would give them a perfect score! Go back and watch the DVD's from last year. You'll see more than .05 worth of dirt in the visual aspect of that show. I even heard a rumor that the visual judge turned in his sheet before BD was done performing. Granted, that's only a rumor from someone who told me their friend's dad saw the judge do it. So, who know's if it's true.

[/rant]

Sorry. Had to get all that off my chest. Don't take me for a hater. I love BD when they are good. They are not this year. Last year's show is one of my favorite shows of all time ... from a musical standpoint. In fact, in my top 21, there are at least 2 BD shows and probably a third coming back into it soon. 2000, 2009 and (returning) 2003. Those are the Blue Devils that deserve the praise the Blue Devils of late are receiving (2009 visual aside).

Anyway, in my opinion, Cadets were the highest scoring corps, but Blue Knights brought the house down. They had some visual dirt, but musically, they are absolutely incredible. Vanguard ... I love Vanguard ... and this show has some great potential ... but, they're not quite reaching it yet. I saw some great changes tonight, so I know they can pull this show off. They are, after all, the best of the west. They just have a lot of work to do ... and a lot of that is visual work. The drill seems slow at parts and other parts are just dirty. But, I know how hard Vanguard works, so I know they can make this into another Top 5 finish.

I can't comment on any of the other shows because I was watching the Kalamazoo webcast before Denver.

Yeah, a real class act! :smile: And aren't we proud of ourself! The very definition of classless!

Cheap is using a bunch a props to make your show look better. Whatever happened to the days where you could just do a show that has no real theme, and just works? Long gone I guess...........

I have a friend I'd like to introduce you. DrumManTx, meet the Madison Scouts 2010 production!

Honestly, I think themes are awesome, and the lack of themes are fine too. Either way, I'm entertained :smile:

As a couple people have mentioned, watching BD on your computer screen in no way does the show justice. It just isn't possible to see all the details and effects without being there live. I suggest the naysayers go to a show, sit up front and then make your assessment.