Bluecoats

Do you think before you write something? Or should I ask what time last year you first hopped into Drum Corps?

In previous years I would say that Bloo has done shows that are above their heads starting out. Watch 08 finals (this should be my prime example. This year the corps started off being beaten visually by glassmen, blue knights, almost crossmen and lower because the show was so over their head before the rewrite). Last year was a steady sixth place show the whole season because they were ok-ish. And these are FINALS. They climb and perform shows of a high caliber just like any other corps out there. Just because they make it look easy, doesn't mean it is :tongue:

When I first hopped into drum corps? Try 1986 as corps member and several years before that as a fan.

I am speaking from the perspective of watching drum corps for over 25 years and having the experience of being in the Bluecoats in 1987.

My original point was that the bluecoats didn't peak early - in the '80's and early 90's they just maxed out their show and watched others pass them. In '08 and '09, they just didn't have good shows.

By the way, the example citing the re-writing the the show to make it easier just helps to make my point.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, unlike some, what I don't believe in is "slotted scores". What I do believe in is

that a show that can score a 93 or a 95 IS A GOOD SHOW.

That's true, and I think if you're a Bluecoats fan you have to be excited at the fact that scoring a 93 or a 95 is considered underachieving by some.

Of course, if you're goal is Top 3, and you beat the eventual Top 3 corps during the season but end the season in 6th or 7th, then 93 or 95 as a score could be taken as a consolation prize.

After taking fourth in 2006, breaking a barrier that was put before them prior to get into the Top 5, the pressure was on the Bluecoats to keep improving and break into the Top 3.

So ... the had a show everyone loved ... their score at Finals went up ... they scored closer to the winning score ... and they finished further away from the 12th-place score ...

All are indicators that they "improved" ...

And yet they fell from 4th to 7th because of a major pile-up of good-to-great corps/shows.

And people say they "underachieved" ... I just still don't get it ... was it a little disappointing at the time, yes, but years later, I don't get why people don't see what REALLY happened.

I'm a lifetime fan of the Buffalo Bills. Back in the early 1990s when they won four straight AFC Championships, they were one of the very best teams in the NFL. Unfortunately, they lost four straight Super Bowls. At the time, it sucked and EVERYONE laughed at them and said they sucked.

But as time has gone on, and as the coach and several of their top players have been elected in the Pro Football Hall of Fame (sidebar -- in Canton, Ohio, home of the Bluecoats), people FINALLY started to realize what an accomplishment that was, one that no one will ever do again in the NFL. People now say that the early 90s Bills were a very good team.

I think the Bluecoat faithful are clinging to HOPE that they will (for the first time EVER) finish the season in the Top 3 and cement Bluecoats as a true contender. The more realistic armchair DCI analysts understand that Bluecoats have NEVER finished in the Top 3, and probably prefer to wait for Bluecoats to "show us the money" and back up their ambition with the necessary execution and tweaks to achieve Top 3. NO ONE is disputing that Bluecoats have been a consistently strong corps the last several seasons. Cavaliers, Blue Devils, and Cadets have a long history of doing what is necessary to consistently place in the Top 3 the past ten seasons. Crown proved last season they have what it takes to legitimately contend for Champion and win captions when it counts (finals night). Bluecoats have shown they have what it takes to consistently place in the Top 6, but have NOT proven they have what it takes to be Top 3. Until they actually place in the Top 3 many people won't give them the benefit of the doubt: Bluecoats will need to earn that by actually Finishing Top 3 on Finals night.

Do you realize that you could have said what you said by cutting this down to 3 sentences??

I will take issue with one of your points -- namely, "with the necessary execution and tweaks to achieve Top 3." Far too often many corps that placed in the Top 3 DID NOT execute well-enough to achieve it. That being said -- rest assured the 2010 version of the Bluecoats are executing well enough to achieve Top 3. To think they're not is simply not living in reality for this season.

Personally I think this is a top-3 show, and probably their best shot ever at a championship.

In all the discussion of scores and placements as a measure of success, let's not also lose sight of another (possibly more important) measure of success: crowd appeal.

In my opinion this year's Bluecoats show is going to be the absolute crowd favorite come finals. They are bringing a swagger and groove that no one else has come close to in a number of years. From start to finish the show is jazzy, aggressive, complex and in-your-face powerful.

It's my favorite 'Coats show ever, and no matter what place it comes in the members and alumni should be very very proud and excited.

I have to admit the 2007 show popped into my mind Friday when I saw them in Akron, edging out Crown. But they gave it right back to Crown Saturday so numbers are meaningless right now.

Remember, judges are from all different walks of life, ESPECIALLY visual and ensemble judges which is a huge portion of the score. We'll likely see scores jump up and down at different shows in July. This is why I could care less at this point. I don't pay any attention to overall scores until Allentown because that's when most corps begin to peak for Finals. So until then we can run statistic scenarios all day long but none of it matters. Every year staff and kids change, chemistry is different etc. So let's just hope for DCI's sake (and Ohio) that the Canton crew can pull out the stops and surprise some people in Indy! This is one of their best programs to date and has massive potential so I'm going to hope they break the top3 just so Ohio has ONE FRIGGIN THING TO APPLAUD ABOUT!!

After basically spending the last two days with them, I am absolutely confident when i say this: I am not one bit worried about them peaking too soon. Period. :tongue:

After basically spending the last two days with them, I am absolutely confident when i say this: I am not one bit worried about them peaking too soon. Period. :tongue:

:tongue::tongue::wall: