Why Blue Devils Win

Wow.....I must have been blind and deaf at the 2008 Championship, when the crowd went absolutely nuts during Phantom's show, and not so for BD........and I must have

been mistaken and not perceptive to see that most of the crowd thought BD

should have won........I'm sure way more fans stayed for BD's encore performance last year after

they won then Phantom 08, so they could hear the "masterpiece" again.........

and the only reviews this year where their music arrangements were called into question must have been written by "the haters".........

lmao

GB

People were excited for a multitude of reasons. The reaction for Phantom 2008 wasn't just because it was a more entertaining or better show. There's the underdog thing, the super small margin thing, the "they haven't won their own Championship yet" thing, etc., etc., etc. There was more hype by nature and it wasn't just because people were less excited by BD.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha you don't have to be sorry. I was just trying to add some happiness and laughter to the thread (which I succeeded with very well due to my own typo, haha).

I get it, it is perfectly fine. Sometimes we take these threads way too seriously, and just need a little laugh in them.

:tongue:

Thanks Michael. Glad you caught that post in there. Seems like most folks on here have been blowing it off completely.

And yet few people have commented on MY post that first debunked the op....urgh.

Sometimes I feel like I'm posting in a vacuum....

Nah, not a vacuum. Vacuous, perhaps, but not vacuumous. :tongue:

So, here is your post redux

I'll argue on that point...you can't do what they do without education....like every other corps out there, they have months to teach (educate) to play...I came in having never marched a slide in my life....yet I was taught (educated) how to do it. They didn't necessarily teach me any music theory, but I DID become a far better musician because of the teaching (education) afforded me by Wayne Downey and Jack Meehan.

Not self-discovery??? BD was the first time I ever was responsible for my own upkeep...and it prepared me for the military. I certainly discovered I could perform in front of thousands of people and not be scared about it...and I discovered that after a season of corps, nothing else was going to feel as hard.

No camaraderie?? I'll point out ScoJo in the 06 Blue Smoke video, talking to the drum line (Sounds like finals....) "Tonight's show's dedicated to every one of you, and that person standing next to you. That's your brother, that's your sister...that's why you guys are here." Sounds like camaraderie to me. EVERY corps builds that...no corps is composed of robots.

Performance is certainly part of it....but WITHOUT education, self-discovery, and camaraderie, performance cannot happen....they're all part of the same whole.

You can't DO this activity at ANY level if you don't have all of those elements. That hasn't changed in the over 50 years of BD's history...nor the 70+ of Madison's, Cavies', or Cadets'....it's universal.

Well said

People were excited for a multitude of reasons. The reaction for Phantom 2008 wasn't just because it was a more entertaining or better show. There's the underdog thing, the super small margin thing, the "they haven't won their own Championship yet" thing, etc., etc., etc. There was more hype by nature and it wasn't just because people were less excited by BD.

To add to that, being excited for Phantom's show in 2008 doesn't exclude one from enjoying the Blue Devils 2008 show as well. I was one of the thousands cheering madly for Phantom in Bloomington, and I still love the show. At the time, I couldn't wait for the Blue Devils to finish so I could find out the scores, but as the years have passed I've seen my appreciation for the Blue Devils' show grow and grow. I'm sure Spartacus-fatigue has something to do with it, but I now listen to Constantly Risking Absurdity more often than any other show from that year. It's fantastic. I only regret that I didn't pay close enough attention when I saw it live. There have been a lot of claims on here that the Blue Devils' music has been lacking for the past three years or more. Well this fan hasn't yet been able to get into 2009, but I have no such difficulty with 2008 - or the first half of 2007 either, for that matter.

The caption is referring to it's effect on the judge here, not the audience.

Did you see these overriding comments at the top of the sheet?

...maintain a connection with the audience

....communicate the product to the audience.

Who are the alot of people ?? 50 - 60 folks on DCP ??? What about the people that have enjoyed it in person so far ?? I love how people act as if they know all, see all, and their opinioons are thrown as fact.

Here are a few facts.

More people like this show in person than hate it here on DCP

How you feel about this show is your opinion based on what you see.

Your opinion isnt what anyone else feels.

This thread is now bordering on ridiculous, its two trains of thought repeated over and over and over and over and over again cleverley diguised as a debate but in reality a thread dedicated to bashing and discrediting the Blue Devils.

I am going to stay out now and not respond, no matter how much I want to......

G

G,

I'll have o save this post for the next time I say the same thing about the impact of DCP on the things I agree with and you do not! :tongue:

BTW...I happen to agree with you about BD. While not usually a personal favorite corps, the anti-BD hyperbole being thrown around is, IMO, silly.