What were we thinking? Stuff that didn't quite work

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cavaliers - 1978 opened with "Do Ya Wanna Get Funky with Me"

It actually opened with a reprise of "Russian Sailor's Dance" from '76, THEN used "Do Ya Wanna Get Funky" as into-concert (concert being a medley of Chase tunes that made BD's current arranging style seem coherent by comparison), and closing with, yes, Shostakovich's 5th.

I'd say that whole show stands as a "what were they thinking?"...

My favorite bad decision of that decade, however, was Garfield putting their guard in hot pants in '77 - but keeping the rest of the uniform the same. Cadet jacket, shako, tall black boots - and hot pants. Not quite "men in pink togas" bad, but close.

Speaking of men in pink togas.... I'm surely not the only person who looked at Glassmen's guard uni for the men this year and said "....uh.....ok...." :tongue:

Was it the Young Frankenstein version.... that would have been genius!

:tongue:

ROTFLMAO

Suncoast Sound's "My Fair Lady" Or Sky Ryders "Camelot". Lerner and Lowe just doesn't seem to work on the football field.

Suncoast Sound's "My Fair Lady" Or Sky Ryders "Camelot". Lerner and Lowe just doesn't seem to work on the football field.

*waggles hand* Portions of Camelot worked for 27th....now 87 Suncoast....ewww...even the members didn't like that one.

Was it the Young Frankenstein version.... that would have been genius!

Yeah, because we all know the Bluecoats are all about the funny.

My vote is for the entire show concept of the 2008 Cadets.

Great corps ....Brass , percussion, and guard performed superbly, and were dragged down by the insipid, narration that was poorly written and badly perforned.

At least one good thing came from this. It may have killed the narration trend, and Cadets, as well as the whole activity is the better for it.

As a Cadet homer, I'd have to agree with you.

Thankfully, their closer (right after Sarah Jones rounds out her life experiences), is kick-###.

Just wish it had been cleaner.

It actually opened with a reprise of "Russian Sailor's Dance" from '76, THEN used "Do Ya Wanna Get Funky" as into-concert (concert being a medley of Chase tunes that made BD's current arranging style seem coherent by comparison), and closing with, yes, Shostakovich's 5th.

I'd say that whole show stands as a "what were they thinking?"...

Gotta love those eclectic shows from BITD.

My favorite bad decision of that decade, however, was Garfield putting their guard in hot pants in '77 - but keeping the rest of the uniform the same. Cadet jacket, shako, tall black boots - and hot pants. Not quite "men in pink togas" bad, but close.

I almost forgot that. When you think 70's guards in hot pants, you usually think Blue Stars.

Speaking of men in pink togas.... I'm surely not the only person who looked at Glassmen's guard uni for the men this year and said "....uh.....ok...." :tongue:

For more men in pink togas - don't forget Crown 2002 - their Greek mythology show. :tongue:

Edited by BOBSMYTH

Awww... of course I'm biased, but I thought Camelot was an ok show. I thought we had a pretty cool drum-feature/closer. We got alot of positive feedback from fans anyway.