What were we thinking? Stuff that didn't quite work

<Bluecoats 92 - "Jazzaphonic" - Beatles>

I wondered if someone was going to mention this one. Like the Madison 76 memory, this one is right up there, though for a different reason:

Once again, an early season how - Detroit area, I think - and I'm watching from the end zone behind the chain link. You guys are working toward the end of your opener...I can tell the design is intended to illicit much cheering and baby-throwing (now discourage, I understand...) from the adoring fans. You release that wonderful note...and all that can be heard are the lights, buzzing in the night.

I had to run away to keep from laughing out loud over the disconnect between the designer's intent, and the 'HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM' that greeted their best efforts.

I'm sorry...but that memory still makes me smile...

not schadenfreude...but just...funny!

Haha - that is funny. Trust me - we had many moments like that. Like I said - can you imagine the dumbfounded look on people's faces when we're playing some crazy psychodelic arrangement of Eleanor Rigby for 4th of July? :tongue:

We took in stride - we all understood that the audience didn't get it - because we didn't get it ourselves. :tongue:

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back then, I still had to get info for the DCI program books by talking to staff members on the phone. In 1993, when the corps was to do the Dizzy Gillespie show, I jokingly asked the staff member I was interviewing if I could refer to the show as "Dizzyphonic."

Fortunately, he had a good sense of humor.

Haha - that would have made for a great tour shirt!

Glassmen 1996..... not exactly sure what the staff was thinking.

Stars and Stripes Forever

Ives' 2nd Symphony

Rhapsody in Blue/Strike up the Band

American in Paris

This might be a controversial pick, but 2004 Crown.

"FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!"

Five pages and no mention of this?

If anyone was lucky enough to catch the first couple DCM shows of 1986 you've got to agree with me here.

Star of Indiana's gerbil wheels take the prize.

In case one doesn't know, you can get up to 40 posts per page by going into your board controls. That saves a lot of clicking on the next page.

I unfortunately never saw the gerbil wheels, but I was informed by the corps staff that they were quickly buried behind the corps' hall, where some day, a very confused excavator will wonder what on earth he just dug up.

Prize to JohnZ, Senior corps with the Doves was Westshoremen at 1980 DCA Finals. Two years after "Time Machine" and my first year out. End of the show a huge American Flag was displayed and a few doves flew out (looked great). Then as the flag was removed we (audience) saw the other hundred or so feather rats that did not fly. Great picture of the chief judge shooting his starters picture while the birds ran to the end zone. Then he fired again and they ran back to where they were a few seconds before. :thumbup:

Kicker was the corps placed in the top 5 that year for the first time ever. :tongue:

Next year they sold hoodies with a dove on the sleeve. And the number '5' was on the doves wing. :tongue:

Still kinda wonder what were they thinking.... The Cadets 86 show...... had a boat load of horns.... at that time..... and 12 or 16 guard members.......

not the most visual stimulating of shows I've ever watched....... Ironically it was between their 83, 84, 85, and 87 Championship corps .....

watching in Madison, I thought .,... WTF..????