Judge Mishaps...

I don't remember the particulars of who or when, but Charlie Poole (long time DCI drum judge) really bought it one time and needed medical attention after an on field incident.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Watch any video of the end of Spirit's show at the Atlanta regional, and you're pretty much guaranteed to see that moment where the percussion judge accidentally trips one of the trumpet players...he recovered very nicely, though.

Also, I almost ran over Albert Lo at Semifinals in '09. Not intentionally, though - I had no idea how close it was until I watched the high-cam. I was marching backwards and he was behind me. He attempted to get out of my way by going one direction, but my next move took me in that exact same direction.

I DID run into Albert Lo. He was judging Div. II/III finals (I THINK. It was during finals week though.) Happened at the end of our opener. He got caught in the middle of the diamond cutters.

Back in the early 70's it happened alot but usually to one of the percussion judges. Some corps allowed "floaters" to seek out and run over any drum judge that knelt in front of the snare line during drum solos. I also remember some double basses nailing a few judges.

Didn't 27th "trap" a drum judge when the snares moved through the alley of horns towards the back corner and when he realized what was about to happen, the contras did two gate turns and closed the back end of the alley so that the guy had to "march" with the form until he was released 36 or so counts later ?

There is also the Tenor player in '02 magic at finals.....that wasnt a judge, but the kid told me that the judge almost ordered him to get off the field since his face was gushing blood.

WOAH!!! I had never heard about the gushing blood part till now...that is definitely taking one for the team.

How about an "almost"?

Before the show started I had a judge bend over and look at my drum. His face was about 12 inches from my drum. I have no idea what he was looking at. The first count of the show we marched 32 counts or so forward. Then Jeff started clapping his hands in tempo to start the show. I really wasn't sure what I was going to do. As Jeff said "mark time mark" (or whatever) the judge moved.

Back in the early 70's it happened alot but usually to one of the percussion judges. Some corps allowed "floaters" to seek out and run over any drum judge that knelt in front of the snare line during drum solos.

That's what cymbal lines are for.

11_25_2003_petrash.jpg

Looks like Fan of Night got to this guy right after he scored Crossmen's guard too low. :tongue::tongue::tongue::rolleyes::tongue::thumbup:

Edited by SFZFAN

Down Goes Frazier !!.... Down Goes Frazier !!

LOL! :rolleyes: ( not that the judge got hit... But the boxing reference is priceless.)

Edited by boxingfred

I once hit a judge with my bass mallet - I think it was Judy and she just got too close to the drumline without realizing it.

but in 1982 our guard used these things that were basically small pieces of cut glass mounted on a frame to make it look like a snowflake. they had a handle in the back so the piece could be spun around to catch the light, well one of our guard members not only caght the light but also a judges hadn as the glass took a nice slice. I remember after the show she was all shaken up and there was blood all over her snowflake.