Who will win

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VOR you really are an Empire Hater aren't you!!

Spruce

What does hating Empire have to do with it? All I said was that because of the spread Reading opened against Empire in Lewisburg, the Jamestown results will be all the less compelling/interesting. If Empire and/or MBI edges out the other, Reading would still appear to be the frontrunner. If Empire opens a spread on MBI, it would appear that MBI's championship aspirations may be just that. However, it WOULD get interesting if MBI were to open a similar spread or greater than Reading over Empire. This would put MBI in contention with Reading and considerably raise everyone's interest in Reading and MBI meeting at the prelims, while at the same time, seem to take Empire out of the championship picture. And BTW, I do not hate Empire. Do I think their focus, show designs/concepts and attitude are detrimental to them winning in contemporary drum corps....YES. But hate...NO. Edited by VOReason

What does hating Empire have to do with it? All I said was that because of the spread Reading opened against Empire in Lewisburg, the Jamestown results will be all the less compelling/interesting. If Empire and/or MBI edges out the other, Reading would still appear to be the frontrunner. If Empire opens a spread on MBI, it would appear that MBI's championship aspirations may be just that. However, it WOULD get interesting if MBI were to open a similar spread or greater than Reading over Empire. This would put MBI in contention with Reading and considerably raise everyone's interest in Reading and MBI meeting at the prelims, while at the same time, seem to take Empire out of the championship picture. And BTW, I do not hate Empire. Do I think their focus, show designs/concepts and attitude are detrimental to them winning in contemporary drum corps....YES. But hate...NO.

Not starting any trouble here...just wondering what's wrong with our show concept. The Wizard of Oz....it's pretty good I'd say. (Certainly compared to last years)

Not starting any trouble here...just wondering what's wrong with our show concept. The Wizard of Oz....it's pretty good I'd say. (Certainly compared to last years)
Absolutely...Oz was a wonderful idea around which to design a program. Lots of good, recognizable music performed across multiple genres from movies, Broadway, jazz, etc. Much of this good music, Empire is playing...no doubt. Empire's show is designed to reach out and grab the audience, a lot of times using elements extraneous to the music and marching art. Reading's show is designed to draw the audience in using the music, percussion and drill. Empire's show makes the audience want to move, Reading's show moves the audience. Now, these observations are based on the past few years, as I have not yet seen this year’s programs on the field, other than the approx. 8 minutes of YouTube clips from Empire's Oz production. And based on these clips, assuming of course that changes either have been made or in the process of being made, a corp cannot telegraph drill moves and park and blow as much as this and expect to win on the sheets. The horn line sounds excellent, however there is not much demand. Edited by VOReason

I actually loved last years show until maybe mid Aug. Then all the junk came out in Statesmen fashion. When I saw the corps earlier I thought WOW very classy ....and then..... Just afraid with this theme all hell can break lose come Mid August

I actually loved last years show until maybe mid Aug. Then all the junk came out in Statesmen fashion. When I saw the corps earlier I thought WOW very classy ....and then..... Just afraid with this theme all hell can break lose come Mid August
And if folks think that rolling out a bunch of painted plywood, bringing back Mag7 or playing the rumps in all 12 keys will be enough to propel them to the championship over this Reading corps, they are seriously mistaken. Edited by VOReason

I actually loved last years show until maybe mid Aug. Then all the junk came out in Statesmen fashion.

Personally, I enjoyed the Statesmen much more last year WITH all the additions late in the season. I thought their show was missing something without all that "junk."

The use of props, "personality" soloists, etc.... that, to me, IS the Empire Statesmen. That's what they do, better than anyone else, ever.

I hope they never change. And I really hope there will always be a place for "fun" shows such as theirs in DCA.

IMO... and this truly is a topic for another thread, so I'll leave it at this.....the day DCA goes completely in the "oh-so-serious", less personality-driven direction that the DCI corps have taken.... then we might as well pack up, turn off the lights and go home.

And now, back to our regularly-scheduled topic.

LIke Tom said... safe travels to all the corps this weekend!