Who will win

I knew there was no personal attack, but I have to respectfully disagree with you. Kevin usually shows absolutely no bias to the corps he's marched in reviews. There is a good reason a lot of people love Kevin's coverage. He tells it like it is. He won't sugar coat anything for popularity votes. He gives good, honest reviews full of integrity.

AGREE !!

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stand by what I said. There was only a .35 difference in their scores. Compare the reviews. By the way Gene, I would consider your input more valuable if you had actually ATTENDED the show.....

Edited by Mike_B

Many thanks for the coverage Kevin. I look forward to your Ra cha cha coverage assuming you are doing it again this year ;D

I've actually been in Rochester the whole time. John Donovan glued me to the chair so I'd have to do DCA again. :tongue:

Kevin, I think your coverage was waaaaay biased. You pointed out every flaw you perceived in MBI's show. I never saw that before from you. Empire apparently had a perfect show. Empire was great and they deserved the win, I gave them multiple standing O's. However, you tore MBI apart. They also were very good and I really dug their show.

They were very good. My main issues with the performance were with the horn line (which, checking the sheets, the judges also had issue with). The drum line threw down and EARNED the top spot, especially considering that Empire's line is strong this year, as well.

Since I'm a brass guy, that's where my focus tends to, well, focus. I heard a lot more issues than I expected from MBI Saturday night, plus it is possible that them going on after Empire influenced me somewhat.

You are correct, we were short 7 horns for the show.

We sure had a great time this weekend even with all of the unexpected things that came up. I would just like to say thanks to everyone who let us borrow some equipment for the show! Cant wait until Rochester! :tongue:

Considering the costs and time commitment involved with journeying from Minnesota to New York on a non-holiday weekend, I'd say being short only 7 horns is pretty good.

Now, leave the rain at home for DCA weekend. I already dealt with Ernesto in '06, thank you. :thumbup:

I knew there was no personal attack, but I have to respectfully disagree with you. Kevin usually shows absolutely no bias to the corps he's marched in reviews. There is a good reason a lot of people love Kevin's coverage. He tells it like it is. He won't sugar coat anything for popularity votes. He gives good, honest reviews full of integrity.

Case in point was the criticism I had for Empire last season, especially when they fired off the CO2 at the end of their ballad during Prelims. Fortunately, they changed that, but that was not one of their better show designs.

I stand by what I said. There was only a .35 difference in their scores. Compare the reviews. By the way Gene, I would consider your input more valuable if you had actually ATTENDED the show.....

Consider this - The criticisms I had for MBI's performance were because I expected them to be even better than they were. If they had performed at the level I thought they should have, 2nd place would have been their's, no question.

Really, the biggest difference between the two corps was horn line. That's where my criticism was for MBI. I felt they had less impact than Empire, were not as in tune as they could be, and, to my ears up in the box, the tubas needed to play out more. I think that foundation in the low brass would have gone a long way to closing the gap in Field Brass.

On the other hand, I think they rock the HELL out of Kashmir, and make me forget Madison Scouts' rendition only a few years ago. The guard uniforms are incredible, and the drum line is what we've come to expect (in a good way) from MBI for at least the past 10-15 years.

Now, leave the rain at home for DCA weekend. I already dealt with Ernesto in '06, thank you. :bigsmile:

Oh, believe me... we are sick and tired of the rain. Rain at all of our camps minus one, rain before and after our first show, rained out the biggest drum corps event ever in MN, rain before jamestown... ENOUGH ALREADY! :blink:

I stand by what I said. There was only a .35 difference in their scores. Compare the reviews.

Understanding of course that if we have learned ANYTHING this season, it should be that the reviewer's opinions sometimes vary a great deal from the judge's marks/spreads.....

Edited by VOReason