Who will win

Can I quote you on this next time you want to brag about a DCI score?

+1

IM OUT!

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I quote you on this next time you want to brag about a DCI score?

shots fired

I have seen MBI this year. Absolutely dazzling show. Very, very well written with an incredibly layered color guard book. "Chess" turned out to be a very dramatic opening statement. "Kashmir" is killer. The straight-up classical waltz from "Scheherazade" in the middle is quite unexpected but works with the jazz style of the show. And "Caravan" thankfully, and delightfully, uses the rhythms of Ellington's original.

To me, they are on par and a bit ahead of last year's show. There is an uptick in the complexity. Overall, the corps is the same size as last year and has a wonderful sound. Whether or not they top Empire is anyone's guess, but they are certainly not relaxing their game.

I think you were mentioning, "Chess." the musical. Right? I'm sitting here quite jealous of MBI's choice of music from Chess. "Chess" would have at least been one of the choices I would've suggested for my corps the next time.

Isn't it funny how people suggest repertoires? I used to watch our Director field all sorts of ideas for new shows from people. To his credit he gave each of them some idea that their ideas might have some merit. Usually it's music from the person's favorite group, like Thin Lizzy, or Foghat! :lol: They were all convinced it could be done on the field!

Scott Mescon

Brigadiers 1993-

Edited by SkipMebden

I think you were mentioning, "Chess." the musical. Right? I'm sitting here quite jealous of MBI's choice of music from Chess.

We are playing a portion of One Night In Bangkok from Chess...

The first 1:48 of this video is what we are playing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgqQvmmst0s

(please remove the video if its against the rules)

Edited by BrassMember

I think you were mentioning, "Chess." the musical. Right? I'm sitting here quite jealous of MBI's choice of music from Chess. That would have at least been one of the choices I would've suggested for my corps the next time.

Isn't it funny how people suggest repertoires? I used to watch our Director field all sorts of ideas for new shows from people. To his credit he gave each of them some idea that their ideas might have some merit. Usually it's music from the person's favorite group, like Thin Lizzy, or Foghat! :lol: They were all convinced it could be done on the field!

Scott Mescon

Brigadiers 1993-

:doh:

Hey Scott! As one of the "old school" types from Brass, seeing the listing of "Bangkok" from Chess kinda threw ME for a loop when the show was announced, not to mention "Kashmir".

But after making a rare stop at Wednesday night rehearsal last night, having watched them going through the process in 93 degree heat with a heat index of 105 (the dewpoint was 75) for over an hour, I can see them making it interesting once again this year..They apparently integrated a few changes since the Drum Beauty show, and I'm looking forward to seeing the show Saturday @ DCI Minnesota and making the trek to Jamestown..

After all the hype about the improvements to the stadium, it should be great. Personally I thought their facility was great when MBI went out there in 2003, so how they can improve it escapes me.

Pat

:lol:

Hey Scott! As one of the "old school" types from Brass, seeing the listing of "Bangkok" from Chess kinda threw ME for a loop when the show was announced, not to mention "Kashmir".

But after making a rare stop at Wednesday night rehearsal last night, having watched them going through the process in 93 degree heat with a heat index of 105 (the dewpoint was 75) for over an hour, I can see them making it interesting once again this year..They apparently integrated a few changes since the Drum Beauty show, and I'm looking forward to seeing the show Saturday @ DCI Minnesota and making the trek to Jamestown..

After all the hype about the improvements to the stadium, it should be great. Personally I thought their facility was great when MBI went out there in 2003, so how they can improve it escapes me.

Pat

HI Pat

They added Lights, build a new field house, all new seating with backs and a big new food stand with bath rooms.

We are playing a portion of One Night In Bangkok from Chess...

The first 1:48 of this video is what we are playing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgqQvmmst0s

(please remove the video if its against the rules)

Even though the actual musical didn't light Broadway up to the extent it could have, when I saw, :doh: "Chess In Concert," on PBS I knew it had to be a possibility. I hope it wasn't just the unbelievable performances of Josh Groban and Idina Menzel that got me thinking that way. They were spectacular! The show is full of production numbers and potential ballads. Not that you have to use Chess as the whole show's idea....Hey!...What the...I'm one one of those repertoire suggesters!!! :lol: Dang! (See my previous post.)

Scott Mescon

Brigadiers 1993-

HI Pat

They added Lights, build a new field house, all new seating with backs and a big new food stand with bath rooms.

:music:

Sounds good to me! :doh:

Looking forward to the trip. (although driving/riding in a minivan with 4 women might be hazardous to my mental well being :lol: )

Pat

Cant really say anything at this point. I have not seen any of the corps. I dont see there being a huge difference with scores between MBI and Empire, people saying 2 pts over eachother is kinda far fetched if you ask me. MBI hasnt had a show for awhile and the last score they got was kinda puzzling. This is sure to be a wonderful show! Cannot wait!

Skeptic,

I don't get you. In two sentences you say that you have haven't seen either corps this year and therefore, have nothing to say about them. Then in the next two sentences, you have something to say. Sheesh!

Jerry

P.S.

We wish all of the corps traveling to Jamestown, safe travels and great performances!

Skeptic,

I don't get you. In two sentences you say that you have haven't seen either corps this year and therefore, have nothing to say about them. Then in the next two sentences, you have something to say. Sheesh!

Jerry

P.S.

We wish all of the corps traveling to Jamestown, safe travels and great performances!

I meant as far as placement goes. Bad wording on my part I guess.