Phantoms guard

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fire Rick Subel.

EXACTLY! All of the prior posts have been about cleaning, tosses, etc. Well, the choreography alone has them at least a point behind the mid-to top guards. If you'll watch the routine, they are actually often clean, especially at the "hits", but the choreography doesn't necessarily lend itself to the highs and lows of the music, so to speak. Also, if you'll notice, Subel was the guard caption head when the guard struggled mightily (especially 2004). In 2005, Adam Sage and company came and cleaned up the guard considerably. I love how the cutoff regarding the "top" guard was at "3", when if you had added only one more spot, Regiment would've been there a few times over the past few years. After the championship in 2008, Adam Sage and company packed up and went to Crown, and someone had the audacity to hire Subel back. Thus, you have the low guard scores. Surprised? I'm not. One simple solution: fire Subel and try to get someone a bit more savvy to come in and rewrite some stuff. Even though the handle says euphguy, I'm far more acquainted with guard these days. :lol:

argue all you want but that simply isnt true....the numbers game tells us you have a brass line of 60 - 80 and a guard of 35 - 40, what percentage of guard are guys, and what percentage of that number are gay ??

G

You can't be serious... :lol:

EXACTLY! All of the prior posts have been about cleaning, tosses, etc. Well, the choreography alone has them at least a point behind the mid-to top guards. If you'll watch the routine, they are actually often clean, especially at the "hits", but the choreography doesn't necessarily lend itself to the highs and lows of the music, so to speak. Also, if you'll notice, Subel was the guard caption head when the guard struggled mightily (especially 2004). In 2005, Adam Sage and company came and cleaned up the guard considerably. I love how the cutoff regarding the "top" guard was at "3", when if you had added only one more spot, Regiment would've been there a few times over the past few years. After the championship in 2008, Adam Sage and company packed up and went to Crown, and someone had the audacity to hire Subel back. Thus, you have the low guard scores. Surprised? I'm not. One simple solution: fire Subel and try to get someone a bit more savvy to come in and rewrite some stuff. Even though the handle says euphguy, I'm far more acquainted with guard these days. :lol:

nope, he was not the guard caption head in 2004. he wasn't even involved with phantom regiment until he came with adam sage in 2005 from SCV as the weapon choreographer/tech.

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2

nope, he was not the guard caption head in 2004. he wasn't even involved with phantom regiment until he came with adam sage in 2005 from SCV as the weapon choreographer/tech.

Thank you.... was going to say something but wasn't positive and couldn't find anything online besides that he definitely didn't design before 2005.

IMO 2008's guard placement was a gift. Regiment's guard hasn't been the best section of the corps for many years... a lower caption score in color guard is not new (the sky is not falling...)

Many of the downfalls of the corps' program last year were addressed and this IS a huge step up, especially considering all of the changes right to the end of last summer. The corps this year does have a product- a cohesive visual product that works well on the field with the musical program. It may need to be taken up a few notches by the end of the season, but it's there and at the point where it is ready for the tech staff and performers to clean and really sell it to the audience.

This is all just my opinion and I have no real connection to anyone on staff or performing at the Regiment. I realize that this is all very subjective and while I have enjoyed what Rick and the PRCG are putting on the field this year, I recognize why others may not... simply trying to provide more perspective and a more positive outlook on the situation :lol:

As I mentioned before in a different thread, you either work together to fix the problem or you find someone else to be the caption head. To me, working together to fix the problem would be the right thing to do. You don't need to be a former color guard member to fix staging issues...Choreography is another issue and (IMO) requires expertise. Regiment has a histroy of great colorguard instruction, they should have no problem finding someone to help.

IMO 2008's guard placement was a gift. Regiment's guard hasn't been the best section of the corps for many years... a lower caption score in color guard is not new (the sky is not falling...)

I Was looking for a post like this... PR won in 2008 with a guard just as good as the one they have 2010..

PR overall has an amazing show and style..

Edited by Cop

As I mentioned before in a different thread, you either work together to fix the problem or you find someone else to be the caption head. To me, working together to fix the problem would be the right thing to do. You don't need to be a former color guard member to fix staging issues...Choreography is another issue and (IMO) requires expertise. Regiment has a histroy of great colorguard instruction, they should have no problem finding someone to help.

So you are saying they should replace their caption head? How is this being posted here any different then the member I speak with saying exactly the same thing on the phone to me? Not exactly "keeping it internal"