Academy question

What hurts the Academy is their physical location, they could have gone to either Denver or Norcal, but it takes 5 days to go up and play and come back, so its not cost effective. However we only need about $8000.00 to make it possible, we only need a few donors to give us some money, and we will glady go.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

World Class corps can have up to 150 members. Students in World Class corps are primarily college-age with some high school involvement. Most corps from this class follow an intensive tour schedule, traveling more than 10,000 miles over the course of the summer while performing at more than 35 sanctioned events.

The criteria to earn World Class status incorporates a combination of aspects that include organizational stability, strength of program, number of participants, touring capabilities and financial stability. A participation review process is managed by a committee of independent individuals. They perform exhaustive evaluations of corps petitioning for World Class status after which a recommendation is presented to the DCI Board of Directors for a decision.

from DCI.org
Open Class corps have a minimum of 30 members up to a maximum of 150. Most Open Class corps will follow an abbreviated tour schedule compared to World Class corps with memberships made up of a mixture of high school and some college-aged students.

The criteria to earn Open Class status involves a combination of factors that include organizational stability, strength of program, number of participants, travel capabilities, and financial stability. An evaluation process assists new or re-emerging corps petitioning for Open Class status after which a recommendation is presented to the Open Class Advisory Committee for approval.

from DCI.org

or they could act like a real WORLD CLASS corps and tour with every other WORLD CLASS corps.

i know DCI is trying to keep it competitive by adding more corps to the WORLD CLASS but these shorter tours aren't fair to the full touring corps that have to do the whole thing from mid june till mid august. Granted, WORLD CLASS corps get a better show % of ticket sales, but that's the motivation to get a well planned tour with performances and side stuff along the way. A well planned tour could be lighter on the amount of shows and extra performance while still being cost effective and touring the WHOLE SUMMER.

Further more isn't finals placements based off of regional scores averaged? you take off one or two and you automatically have a higher score total than the lower scores from a week or two before.

and last point, i thought the DCI panel was suppose to analyze a corps' sustainability financially with the burden of a full tour as part of the guidelines for being moved up to WORLD CLASS.

if you can't hang, don't!

What hurts the Academy is their physical location, they could have gone to either Denver or Norcal, but it takes 5 days to go up and play and come back, so its not cost effective. However we only need about $8000.00 to make it possible, we only need a few donors to give us some money, and we will glady go.

:doh::music:

IMO, hanging back is a smart move. Academy existing is more important than doing 30+ shows and traveling everyday.

Further more isn't finals placements based off of regional scores averaged? you take off one or two and you automatically have a higher score total than the lower scores from a week or two before.

I believe that there are adjustments made for this, but I'm not sure what they are. If anyone has any ideas then please chime in... but I know that it does not work the way that theguywiththehat stated.. maybe using smaller shows around the same date? Not positive.

I also don't think that it's unfair at all. Both sides have pros and cons, obviously. While Academy saves money with a smart business move for their longevity, the performers miss the chance to be in front of audiences, get scores, performance fees, and I suppose be viewed as "truly world class" by some people. :lol:

Every year people start questioning The Academy and thier schedule, it's getting old. The are other World Class corps doing less shows this year thean they are, go to dci.org and check out the lower tier corps and you'll see. This is just smart business on thier part,."If" they have the 8k, they would have gone, so instead of going into debt over a couple of shows, they prepare to hit the last 4 weeks of the season with a ton of shows, well played Academy.

from DCI.org

from DCI.org

or they could act like a real WORLD CLASS corps and tour with every other WORLD CLASS corps.

i know DCI is trying to keep it competitive by adding more corps to the WORLD CLASS but these shorter tours aren't fair to the full touring corps that have to do the whole thing from mid june till mid august. Granted, WORLD CLASS corps get a better show % of ticket sales, but that's the motivation to get a well planned tour with performances and side stuff along the way. A well planned tour could be lighter on the amount of shows and extra performance while still being cost effective and touring the WHOLE SUMMER.

and last point, i thought the DCI panel was suppose to analyze a corps' sustainability financially with the burden of a full tour as part of the guidelines for being moved up to WORLD CLASS.

sounds like you need to write some checks. Send me a note, I'll give you the address where you can send them.

Also, they should just go....right? Bankrupt the corps....right? Because that would solve everything....right? You sir, have no ideas about what it really takes to run a world class drum corps.

from DCI.org

from DCI.org

You act like full tour is a punishment that the other corps endure. Personally, I'd much rather be on a three month tour across the country than a month rehearsing in Arizona! Have you ever been there? It's hot! And good luck if you don't have identification! :lol:

While I'd love to see Academy at more shows, they are being financially responsible (something many corps in the past have definitely not been and paid the price for), and they are performing a very solid, competitive show. Sounds good enough to me.

I think they made a "world class" good decision

to not do something that would hurt them financially.

I like.

...Jersey Surf, Pacific Crest, and Mandarins are doing the same thing. It's better to have these groups around in the longer term.

Teal Sound is doing more of a tour, and Pioneer doesn't have to go far to go to their shows. They hang out mostly in the Midwest.

I don't see this as a problem.

Perhaps I can help with the concern.

Part of this is planned based on the lack of West Coast shows and also to conserve resources...lower possibility of mounting big debt.

Drum corps is a business and if traveling to Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming costs the corps $X and they receive something less than $X than that money has to be found in other areas. If those other areas are of concern, then the safe route is to stay home and rehearse which costs $Y. (far less than $X).

So, cost has something to do with it. Also, they did a West Coast swing and what is usually a second west coast swing is Seniors and Opens and a couple of WC but no BD and no SCV. So, it might have been a wise choice to hang near home and work out the early season kinks and make some changes.

Miss seeing them? Tell Mark Richardson. He will be glad to share it with the kids. Sometimes it's good to be missed.

I think The Academy is doing the right thing which is to stay within their budget, build a Corps that in future years can legitimately compete for a finalist spot, or higher. Corps like Pacific Crest, Mandarins, Academy, Cascades, Jersey Surf, have zero chance of making finals this year. These Corps will have 7 or less competitions under their belt by this Saturday. All the Corps that are legitimate Finalist contenders all have a minimum of double the number of competitons ( between 12-18 ) by the time Saturday's regionals in Minneapolis take place. Only Corps with a legitimate shot of making Finals come August should take on the cost of going to the Regionals in Minnesota here on July 17th, if there is considerable distance involved in getting to Minnesota from the Corps home base.

Edited by BRASSO

I think The Academy is doing the right thing which is to stay within their budget, build a Corps that in future years can legitimately compete for a finalist spot, or higher. Corps like Pacific Crest, Mandarins, Academy, Cascades, Jersey Surf, have zero chance of making finals this year. These Corps will have 7 or less competitions under their belt by this Saturday. All the Corps that are legitimate Finalist contenders all have a minimum of double the number of competitons ( between 12-18 ) by the time Saturday's regionals in Minneapolis take place. Only Corps with a legitimate shot of making Finals come August should take on the cost of going to the Regionals in Minnesota here on July 17th, if there is considerable distance involved in getting to Minnesota from the Corps home base.

I'm no homer ........... but I think it's pretty brash to make a statement like that about Academy having ZERO shot at finals. The 12 Spot is vulnerable this year just like any other. If any corps in the list posted has a shot at all ........ it's The Academy. I'm sure the Glassmen and a few other corps who are doing "full tours" will have something to say about that ..... but we'll see what happens come finals week.