Academy question

Academy 80.1 Safe to say The Arizona Academy is by far the "Hottest" Corps (temp wise) headed to Texas :ph34r:

I just got off the phone with some of the Academy volunteers at the Paramount show....apparently the Corps kids so reved up they wanted to go out and rehearse as soon at they returned to their housing site....which just happens to be the Paramount show site. I find that to be a natural reaction of the Academy, after all, these Arizonans just relish the opportunity to rehearse in the cool comfort of Cal's night time 75 degree temps. The only thing stopping them....the 10:00 PM Noise ordinance. Oh Darn!

Looking forward to seein' ya tomorrow night at the Southwest Corps Connection in Mesa,AZ at Dobson H.S. 7:30 PM

GO ACADEMY!

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, 13th looks very solid right now. 12th, yeah...if I was GMen and Madison, I'd be minding what needs minding. And I mustn't forget the Dubuque crew. They made so many good improvements to a questionable product last season, it was amazing.

To make Top 12, a corps will have to beat at least 4 former Top 12 members. That's what it's going to take.

Well, 13th looks very solid right now. 12th, yeah...if I was GMen and Madison, I'd be minding what needs minding. And I mustn't forget the Dubuque crew. They made so many good improvements to a questionable product last season, it was amazing.

To make Top 12, a corps will have to beat at least 4 former Top 12 members. That's what it's going to take.

Once again this year, the drama and fierce competiion is found in securing that coveted 12th spot. Since DCI was formed, we've had 8 different Corps win DCI..... but no less than 21 different Corps have secured that last Finalist coveted spot. The 12th spot at Finals gets the Corps into the Finals, revenue, marketing, Fan Network history recording, and so much more. They say that 13 is an unlucky number. And so it is in DCI too.

Once again this year, the drama and fierce competiion is found in securing that coveted 12th spot. Since DCI was formed, we've had 8 different Corps win DCI..... but no less than 21 different Corps have secured that last Finalist coveted spot. The 12th spot at Finals gets the Corps into the Finals, revenue, marketing, Fan Network history recording, and so much more. They say that 13 is an unlucky number. And so it is in DCI too.

Well I have selfish reasons....I will be celebrating my 50th birthday party in Indianapolis at Semis and Finals. It would be a great gift to see them after Madison opens the show. I kid...I kid. Just to see them on Saturday night would be such an accomplishment. How long did it take Crown to get there? I know their first finals was 1995.

Just got back from the Mesa, AZ show which was "officially rained out." However, once the storm passed The Cascades, Pacific Crest and The Academy did their shows as a exhibition, not judged. Unfortunately the Mandarins elected to depart once the show was called, thus did not perform this evening.

Cascades (which concluded it's tour at this show) had a mighty fine performance, very impressive all around, shame they couldn't continue the tour, audiences would have been very entertained and very pleased with this mighty fine entry from Seattle, Washington.... Unfortunately (or fortunately as the case may be) their guard/pit brought along, as part of the show theme,"Silver Lining," unbrellas and the sounds of thunder to this usually dry desert, The City of Mesa decided to add to their GE with literally an abundance of rain and lightening which flashed on cue as the Cascades performed. Dispite their performance being rained out midway through, the crowd very much appreciated a full rerun of their show once the storm passed.

Next Pacific Crest performed, due to the high humidity, without their jackets, shakos, and the guard performed in blue tee's and black shorts...They played the heck out of their wonderful show, the brass line is extremely powerful, and the intensity in which PC performed their show brought everyone to their feet. Yup, I see them in semi's.

The Academy in their home show came out in full uniform, including three costume changes by the guard. While their "show" flags have yet to arrive, the various changes in flags used represented the show theme quite well.

I had last seen The Academy Show live at the Riverside show on, July 5th. I now understand the "why" of the wonderful six point jump in scores since then. Folks "Strangers in Paradise" is simply gorgious to watch. The arraingements by Michael Klesch (also arranges for Carolina Crown) are an incredible treat to the senses. The music gets you humming and I predict will bring audiences to their feet multiple times. Man when all the elements of this show are cleaned up and they're playing on all cylinders it's going to take the Academy on the ride of their lives! If most of you only have the DCI Fan Network VOD from the Walnut show of July 3rd, to judge them on THEN you're in for a real eye and ear opener. The VOD from the Houston show on July 22nd will justify my observations...just watch and see. Better yet, see them "live."

All in all, tonights hot, humid and soggy show was good prep for these corps journey through Texas this coming week.

My personal thanks to Impulse and the SCV Cadets for their classy Open Class input to this evenings "Southwest Corps Connection," they finished their shows before the storm hit. And heart felt gratitude to the three World Class Corps that

stuck around late into the night to entertain the large number of fans that weathered the storm. I take my hat off to all the

corps finests folks for going above and beyond the inclement weather to treat those left in the stands with the very best drum corps has to offer.

It's 2:55 AM, my eyes are fighting sleep, so please pardon all the typo's, Thanx and goodnite

Salute!

Cascades (which concluded it's tour at this show) had a mighty fine performance, very impressive all around, shame they couldn't continue the tour, audiences would have been very entertained and very pleased with this mighty fine entry from Seattle, Washington.... Unfortunately (or fortunately as the case may be) their guard/pit brought along, as part of the show theme,"Silver Lining," unbrellas and the sounds of thunder to this usually dry desert, The City of Mesa decided to add to their GE with literally an abundance of rain and lightening which flashed on cue as the Cascades performed. Dispite their performance being rained out midway through, the crowd very much appreciated a full rerun of their show once the storm passed....

The last I saw is that they are on tour and starting their TX swing tomorrow in Odessa, Houston on Thursday and Dallas on Friday and ending up in Indy.

Is there something we don't know?

i guess my point is that why doesn't everyone just take weeks off in between shows and see how good things are at the end? if it's such a great financial choice why doesn't the G7 do it? and why did they vote to become their own unit playing more shows?

it seems idiotic to label a corps as "world class" because they only have financials figured out... According to the definition of "world class" you have to achieve a balance in both. That's part of the game. If you can't play, then don't try. i consider the pioneer a better example than anyone for being a fully touring drum corps while having a great balance of financials. granted they don't make finals, but they figured it out.

I would feel very bad about getting topped by academy night after night now knowing that they were at home rehearsing all day. Weather has nothing to do with it, they had another all days to prepare while other corps were getting beat up by the demands on a fully touring organization, injury, sickness, and all the other stuff that happens on tour.

this "club med" drum corps vibe has to go

i guess my point is that why doesn't everyone just take weeks off in between shows and see how good things are at the end? if it's such a great financial choice why doesn't the G7 do it? and why did they vote to become their own unit playing more shows?

it seems idiotic to label a corps as "world class" because they only have financials figured out... According to the definition of "world class" you have to achieve a balance in both. That's part of the game. If you can't play, then don't try. i consider the pioneer a better example than anyone for being a fully touring drum corps while having a great balance of financials. granted they don't make finals, but they figured it out.

I would feel very bad about getting topped by academy night after night now knowing that they were at home rehearsing all day. Weather has nothing to do with it, they had another all days to prepare while other corps were getting beat up by the demands on a fully touring organization, injury, sickness, and all the other stuff that happens on tour.

With all due respect, DCI approved them and their touring model for World Class a few years ago. This is due, in part, to their geographic location. They do a full tour in July and all the way up to Finals. I see no issue with this. If there were 4 more corps in their region of the globe ... they could set up more shows and do more shows.

When you look at the Midwest you have how many corps and show sites within 8 hours distance of each other? And that's where the majority of the shows are. Then there is a South Swing ... then East Swing .. then back to the Midwest.

If a corps has no other corps around ... and can't hit the midwest start of the season because it would put them in the tank ... then I'm all for them staying home and using their time and resources wisely. Arizona is as far away from other corps as Alaska is .......... there's no place to play in their region, so they do these small shows with 4 or 5 other WC and OC corps that nobody cares about just to build a market for DCI in the SW region. I'd say they're doing drum corps a great service, considering they're hosting the majority of the shows down there.

DCI approved the tour and if the corps competing against them don't know by now how they tour, which I'm 99.9999999999% sure they do know, and don't complain about it... why do you have such a problem with it? Besides, where's you're complaint about Mandarins, PC, Cascades, Impulse, VK, SCV Cadets, BDB?

I guess my point is... get over it already! Every year there is someone who gets their *insert under garment of choice here* in a bunch and whines and complains about how Academy tours. If it's sooooooooooo advantageous for them, why aren't they undefeated? With all that R&R, shouldn't they be scoring in the mid 90s by now? I mean, with all that time away from tour, Chuck Norris doesn't even stand a chance!

And if June and July in AZ is your idea of "club med", I'd like to know what your version of Shangri-La is!

You know, I just realized I haven't used this once this season. Thank you for allowing me the chance...

deadhorse.gif

Edited by skajerk

It is a little hard to take seriously anyone who would call Tempe AZ in the summertime "club med." Weather has nothing to do with it? How much time have you spent outside in 115 degree heat?

I heard all this stuff 2 years ago about how they have an "unfair advantage" because they play less shows. The thing is, I ran the numbers for some corps that season and guess what, it turns out that scores increased MORE on average after playing shows than after merely practicing. I suspect game experience and feedback from judges has a lot to do with that.