Tarheel Sun

More than likely, Tarheel Sun as we knew it will never exist again. That is not necessarily a bad thing because there were many, many, MANY layers of bad things that happened during those five seasons on the road. I don't want to go into that here, but I think we all know some of the bad deals that went on.

That being said, we have two facebook groups dedicated to the drum corps - one is an alumni group and the other is for a reunion we are planning. If you were a member or instructor of the corps at some point, please join!

Tarheel Sun Alumni Group on Facebook

Tarheel Sun Reunion Page

I think there is also a fan page out there somewhere...I'm sure a simple "tarheel sun" search on FB would work.

When I ran shows, i would always get inquires from smaller corps and some lower tier corps that requested to be included in the show and they usually would take housing and small small pay for the show sometimes $500...they did this when they had days off and were travelling from one point to another and needed a place to play and practice in return they performed... the only thing that dci required on show level was all "non-scheduled" corps perform before the "scheduled" corps

I can't speak for '98, '99, and '00; but the '97 corps was far from pleasant. I was on staff with a corps that was competing against Tarheel Sun in '97 and what I observed was a corps that was arrogant, obnoxious, rude, and beaten down. I not only observed this amongst the membership; but the staff as well. There weren't too many throughout the Div II and III corps and the II and III hierarchy that were fond of Tarheel Sund that year. The last memory I have of that '97 corps was a member talking to a friend of her's from another organization, after retreat on finals night, and telling her that "she had to go now because they were all going to get yelled at for losing DCI." Pretty sad, isn't it.

I've also heard quite a bit about Ira. The comments weren't positive.

I just know this. Ira won't be having dinner at the Golden Corral anytime soon.

I know too much of this story, but I believe there is a digest of it somewhere in the dark recesses of DCP. However, I remember Magic of Orlando being in rougher shape...what their corps director was alleged of doing for her staff in lieu of payment....

Ah, those were the days....

so magics gone for good?

Out of respect for the wonderful kids I met on tour for a couple of weeks in 2000, and my son Todd marched Snare, elaboration is not proper now. The practiced as hard as anyone.....sounded good , but as a helper and observer it smelled of politics and maybe some debt. I would like to add that Todd is fighting Cancer and hopefully the Tarheel members will read this. We need your prayers. The Tarheel members were a wonderful group of kids. ...........Never to be forgotten.

Bill Clendenon

Bill, I remember you and Todd. I will let my son, Kenton know. And you all will be in our prayers.

I can't speak for '98, '99, and '00; but the '97 corps was far from pleasant. I was on staff with a corps that was competing against Tarheel Sun in '97 and what I observed was a corps that was arrogant, obnoxious, rude, and beaten down. I not only observed this amongst the membership; but the staff as well. There weren't too many throughout the Div II and III corps and the II and III hierarchy that were fond of Tarheel Sund that year. The last memory I have of that '97 corps was a member talking to a friend of her's from another organization, after retreat on finals night, and telling her that "she had to go now because they were all going to get yelled at for losing DCI." Pretty sad, isn't it.

I've also heard quite a bit about Ira. The comments weren't positive.

It was so awful that I decided to do a second season.

Then again I just thought that's how drum corps was supposed to be - so it made the remainder of my seasons a breeze.

Edited by drewbugler

• 1 month later...

Bill, I'm sorry to hear about Todd.

I don't know about the financial issues, but even before all days were done we lost some staff members and we pretty much ended up having a rotating cast for the rest of the season. I do appreciate those who stayed with us until the end because I'm sure they had better things to do than lose their sanity with us. Our show design seemed a bit flat too, I liked the music but it was a bit difficult for our young hornline. Still, we always had food to eat, I met some great people, I got to see some cool places, and for a short time I was thin and tanned :worthy: . I'm just now going back and scanning the pics I took and it's bringing back all the memories of that long strange trip.

PS. Sorry to dig up and old thread, I just logged on for the first time in a long time and was going back to see what I missed.

Edited by KungFuCharlie

No worries man, good to see this and as a fellow 00 "survivor" I'm glad to see that we're still remembered by some.

Bill, let Todd know he's in the prayers of the Greybill family.

well, the staff treatment...think "staff" treatment certainly is gone.

Magic did return after the, uh, payment plans you mention, but, it still had issues.