Any chance Teal makes it past Thursday?

While I appreciate this sentiment, DCI is a judged, competitive activity. People are going to speculate about placements. It comes with the territory.

Absolutely, DCI is a judged, competitive activity. Normally, I'd not post in a thread like this, but I want to echo what Jeff and Doug said. We really don't care where we place. We have two goals for this summer that we feel it's very important to meet:

1. Provide our members with a positive, educational experience that they will want to continue with in the future

2. Entertain the audience

Anything past that is frosting on a really good cake. If we place ahead of anyone else, hey, that's cool, but is is NOT in any way a goal.

Can Teal make semis? Maybe. Time and the ability of our members will tell. It's our job as a staff to give them the very bet vehicle we can, and I think we're doing that. As long as we provide a unique, positive experience for the kids and the audience, we'll do just fine. We're building a corps that will stand the test of time.

We have a young, inexperienced corps. Not one member has DCI World Class experience. And to be perfectly honest, I wouldn't want it any other way.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely, DCI is a judged, competitive activity. Normally, I'd not post in a thread like this, but I want to echo what Jeff and Doug said. We really don't care where we place. We have two goals for this summer that we feel it's very important to meet:

1. Provide our members with a positive, educational experience that they will want to continue with in the future

Anything past that is frosting on a really good cake. If we place ahead of anyone else, hey, that's cool, but is is NOT in any way a goal.

Can Teal make semis? Maybe. Time and the ability of our members will tell. It's our job as a staff to give them the very bet vehicle we can, and I think we're doing that. As long as we provide a unique, positive experience for the kids and the audience, we'll do just fine. We're building a corps that will stand the test of time.

We have a young, inexperienced corps. Not one member has DCI World Class experience. And to be perfectly honest, I wouldn't want it any other way.

And I think this is great.

My comment was more aimed at the idea that people should be ashamed of talking about placement and that it's somehow disrespectful to do so.

And I think this is great.

My comment was more aimed at the idea that people should be ashamed of talking about placement and that it's somehow disrespectful to do so.

I'm sorry you misunderstood or I was not very clear. My comment was not aimed at people talking about placement possibilities. It's fun to speculate about that! I just get tired of 1 particular poster being obsessed with why his/her corps should be beating Teal, because Teal has this or that wrong with it. It seems to be his/her only goal in life. (Multiple threads, multiple comments.) Just trying to be nice and not respond directly to those comments. Sorry. Please speculate away. I do all of the time:) After 42 years of being in/around this activity I'm actually pretty good at it!

Signed, the spouse of......

I think they have an outside chance of making the Friday night show. But either way I am very proud of this corps, their members and their staff. They have a plan and are sticking to it for the future. They seem to be comfortable being Teal Sound and that is a great thing. Keep it up Teal. In a few years this thread just might be about whether you can make finals...

D

Teal's goals for this year are all about Teal. They are not looking to beat particular corps or obtain a particular placement.

I can understand the staff wanting to protect the kids in their first World Class season but they must have goals to aim for.

If I was marching with TS this season my first goal would be to not finish last... it's only human nature, who wants to finish last? Results so far would point to that goal being realised. With the Initial early season success I'd also be thinking that making semis is possible.

From an outsiders/neutral point of view I think semis probably is a bridge to far for them but who knows, stranger things have happened.

I'm sorry you misunderstood or I was not very clear. My comment was not aimed at people talking about placement possibilities. It's fun to speculate about that! I just get tired of 1 particular poster being obsessed with why his/her corps should be beating Teal, because Teal has this or that wrong with it. It seems to be his/her only goal in life. (Multiple threads, multiple comments.) Just trying to be nice and not respond directly to those comments. Sorry. Please speculate away. I do all of the time:) After 42 years of being in/around this activity I'm actually pretty good at it!

Yep good point... we all need a bit of humble pie when posting.

We are very passionate about DC and even our fav corps but have to realize that we owe all the kids participating the respect they deserve.

If you review some of the SCV 2010 thread you will see a good example of some of that passion and in some cases it really rivals what some have posted in regards to Teal.

John it was my families pleasure to see you in concert during memorial day weekend down in Palm Coast.

I really enjoyed meeting some of the cymbal players (and dating myself by indicating I was in the SCV cymbal line for the 2nd ever edition of the Pit Viper - 1989).

I gotta say... and I think you Don and others with Suncoast Sound background will appreciate this... I felt like I was seeing Suncoast Sound 1981.

I had never heard of Suncoast Sound and wrote them off as some A class entertainment.

They performed downtown in Houston before the 1st ever Excitement in Sound show. My jaw dropped.

Teal as we all know is taking a different path both competitively and musically.

Some like the musical approach and some not so much.

I personally get frustrated by the lack of respect some corps get for their approaches and applaud Teal for finding their own way.

I do agree with a poster from DCI Minn who said it would be really cool to see Teal smash Guitars and the end of the show... GE judges and fans would find that interesting.

Meanwhile keep up the good work and let the chips fall where they may. The old adage really applies.... Leave it all on the field!

Best of luck.

Though we've gotten a bit off topic...

FWIW, I'd love to see them on Friday. I think Teal has one of the most stirring ballads on the field this season. I had the chance to see them at Michigan City and the Kzoo and was blown away both times by the depth and enjoyability of music.

However, they have a few factors hobbling them that I think will continue to do so for the rest of the season:

•Poor visual design - the drill seems to be a series of impacts only...there is not a lot of character or artistry to the transitions or forms between those impacts. Also, theirs is very much a low-box show. The corps is on the front half of the field most of the time and fronts to the audience constantly. I think this will hurt their scores in bigger stadiums.

•Lack of guard integration - the guard book is good (though I'd love to see more colorful flags in the opener), but the visual designer keeps them away from the hornline and battery for most of the show. They are missing out on a lot of effect points from this.

•Visual execution - feet and body really aren't that bad for this point of the season (I think they are being scored waaay low here). However, with the very limited demand of their visual program, I don't see much improvement in this caption over the rest of the season.

•Musical depth - the music is good...very enjoyable...especially considering that the band they take much of the music from (Dream Theater) is a jam band. However, the arranging leaves something to be desired as far as interweaving and transitions are concerned.

Again, I really enjoyed the program and would love to hear it Friday.

I am quite sure you are referring to me in the above comment. It is not, or was not, my intention to denegrate Teal Sound. I was posting exactly what I believe and no more. I also love drum corps and have eiither marched or been a fan for fifty years, so I'm also pretty good at it. Be that as it may, it is my firm belief that Teal Sound deserves credit but also if one has a critical comment to make, it is his right.

I do not believe Teal Sound's show is worthy of semi-finals, but that is my opinion. You do not have to agree. For their first year in World Class, they are doing very well but it's a long road to semi-finals. I believe that another corps is better this year for the reasons previously stated. That does not mean that I don't watch the shows with an open mind.

Sorry if I offended anyone - it is not my mission to run down one corps in favor of another. Just saying it the way I see it, which is everyone's right in this great country.

You shouldn't have to apologize to anyone - it's an opinion, not fact. I personally think the opposite in regards to your difficulty assertion, but I'm not going to get bent out of shape about it (which you obviously haven't, either). Nobody should have to qualify their opinion or convince anyone that there is more value/accuracy behind their opinion.

Edited by Musicman1084