What's going on with Crossmen?

I think Guidry's stuff the way *he* arranges it is really, really good. But somewhere between his arrangement and what ends up on the field, too much is lost. He explained the process in some detail in the AIM chat but (understandably) did not explain where *he* thought those things were dropping out. He does *not* arrange for a brass line -- he arranges the score for a "marching show" and it gets translated by another arranger into parts for the field. And of course the tour staff needs to make *that* arrangement come to life.

It will be virtually impossible to get rid of this other arranger (and I think this person is the only person who arranges Guidry's shows): http://www.crossmen.org/page114930.html

is it worth asking if they don't want to go in a different direction because of the brass arranger? maybe.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be virtually impossible to get rid of this other arranger (and I think this person is the only person who arranges Guidry's shows): http://www.crossmen.org/page114930.html

is it worth asking if they don't want to go in a different direction because of the brass arranger? maybe.

I wasn't laying the blame there or anywhere else specifically. It's just clear to me that somewhere along the line something's not quite working. There are a whole range of possibilities (up to and including the performers).

Uggh. Just followed that link and the staff bios open word documents? yikes..

Edited by corpsband

Here is the issue. The Brass Arranger is Carol Chambers a.k.a. Corps Director's wife. She and Guidry work together quite a bit along with Wes Cartwright. I think it would be hard to fire your wife....

Here is the issue. The Brass Arranger is Carol Chambers a.k.a. Corps Director's wife. She and Guidry work together quite a bit along with Wes Cartwright. I think it would be hard to fire your wife....

Not laying blame at her feet. I just know when i listen to the midi's that Guidry produces, I hear very good stuff that seems to translate very well to a show on the field. Yet in the past several years there's a world of difference between the midis and the product on the field. (which is wierd because almost universally midi versions of shows are pale imitations of the real thing).

FWIW I actually think this year is a lot better in that respect.

All I have to say is this:

2007 16th place music effect

2008 14th place music effect

2009 16th place music effect

2010.........??????

The results are consistent. Perhaps an alternate task (copyist/score preparation/ teaching) might be better. I know this much.....if they don't bring in someone to write great arrangements, the corps will remain stagnant, and the current team isn't getting it done.

The bottom line.....it's unfair to the members to be given a slow vehicle year after year..........

GB

Not laying blame at her feet. I just know when i listen to the midi's that Guidry produces, I hear very good stuff that seems to translate very well to a show on the field. Yet in the past several years there's a world of difference between the midis and the product on the field. (which is wierd because almost universally midi versions of shows are pale imitations of the real thing).

FWIW I actually think this year is a lot better in that respect.

I agree a 100%. I have both the midi and an MP3 of the show from last year. There are a lot of musical moments that get thrown out and I am not sure why?

2007 16th place music effect

2008 14th place music effect

2009 16th place music effect

2010.........??????

The results are consistent. Perhaps an alternate task (copyist/score preparation/ teaching) might be better. I know this much.....if they don't bring in someone to write great arrangements, the corps will remain stagnant, and the current team isn't getting it done.

The bottom line.....it's unfair to the members to be given a slow vehicle year after year..........

GB

I understand your point. Some kind of change musically is going to have to happen and quick. They can't keep going in the same direction.

When Crossmen first moved to Texas I thought that this would be a great opportunity for them to recruit talented individuals. I saw the them in Minneapolis and wasn't a fan of this year's show. The music didn't do anything for me. I will see them again tomorrow night in Kansas City. I see talent in this corps. However, this is not a show that I could appreciate or want me to go and buy a t-shirt. I due feel that each year of not placing in the top 12 is going to be more difficult for them to recruit the best individuals out of Texas. Hopefully, they will be able to put a better product on the field next year.

All I have to say is that for each of those years, I can think of only one section in the corps that even remotely resembled finalist performance calibre on a consistent basis, and that was the 2008 color guard. I'm not saying that the music design has been great all those years, either. But I am saying that focusing on just that one aspect when there are other issues at hand as well is short-sighted. If the corps can't march or play or drum or spin consistently well, it won't matter if Aaron Guidry is writing the parts or if Jim freaking Prime is. They've got a lot of decisions to make in the off-season, in a lot of different areas, and they know this. Why don't we all just wish them well for the rest of summer, and see how things shake out?

Executive Directors aren't permanent fixtures. If one isn't taking a corps where it needs or wants to go, it's the job of the BoD and the alumni to influence things.

If nepotism is impacting music, once again: BoD and alumni.