What's going on with Crossmen?

I know Guidry is a popular and easy target, but I have to say I like many of his arrangements. Here's the thing though: he seems best when he's working from scratch. In 2008 when I first heard Planet X I thought it was, for sure, the show to get them back into finals. By the time QF rolled around and I saw them in the theater, their book was an unrecognizable mess of sound and I was surprised they were as close to Finals as they ended up being.

The trend I've noticed, at least musically, is that by the time Championships week rolls around the Crossmen's musical design seems to be rather unfocused. I don't know who is doing their camp and mid-season rewrites (Guidry or someone else), but this is (IMO) one of the bigger issues holding them back. Performance-wise I'm just not seeing a huge gap between Crossmen and the other 11th-17th denizens.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said Gary and Chuck.

"BONES"

5) Hiding behind anonymous screen names on Drum Corps Planet, to me, is none of that. Especially when that anonymity allows the speaker to be more inflammatory in their comments and more personal in their attacks than they would ever be if people knew who they really were. It's the nature of internet message boards like this.

First, good post.

Secondly...

The above is a touchy subject for me on DCP. I choose to be as anonymous as I can possibly be after a situation that arrived from a message board that will be remained unnamed. Sometimes protecting yourself from the scrutiny of employers that wish to control every aspect of your life away from work and people that easily get their feelings hurt, trump that of letting everyone know your name. I wish I could share it but some people just plain suck.

That said, people that create names just to bash are wussies and a waste of my time and oxygen.

Back to writing drill...

CH

I know Guidry is a popular and easy target, but I have to say I like many of his arrangements. Here's the thing though: he seems best when he's working from scratch. In 2008 when I first heard Planet X I thought it was, for sure, the show to get them back into finals. By the time QF rolled around and I saw them in the theater, their book was an unrecognizable mess of sound and I was surprised they were as close to Finals as they ended up being.

The trend I've noticed, at least musically, is that by the time Championships week rolls around the Crossmen's musical design seems to be rather unfocused. I don't know who is doing their camp and mid-season rewrites (Guidry or someone else), but this is (IMO) one of the bigger issues holding them back. Performance-wise I'm just not seeing a huge gap between Crossmen and the other 11th-17th denizens.

I remember seeing them make the night show in San Antonio that year. Definitely my favorite Crossmen show! I do remember having a friend in that show and he fell in either QF or Semis. I don't remember which show, but I'm sure that knocked em down a little bit.

I remember seeing them make the night show in San Antonio that year. Definitely my favorite Crossmen show! I do remember having a friend in that show and he fell in either QF or Semis. I don't remember which show, but I'm sure that knocked em down a little bit.

I ran into the perc judge at the SA night show if you remember someone tumbling across the field. LOL

I think it is pretty pathetic that we seem so willing to call for people's jobs on a drum corps forum. To think it is one thing, to vent about it with your friends is another, to outright call for a staff change to be made, by name, on an internet forum is something very different. These aren't 7 figure sports stars or coaches. These are folks who love drum corps, teaching kids, trying to make a living and we call for them to be fired like it is a fantasy league. Really bush league in my opinion.

I think it is pretty pathetic that we seem so willing to call for people's jobs on a drum corps forum. To think it is one thing, to vent about it with your friends is another, to outright call for a staff change to be made, by name, on an internet forum is something very different. These aren't 7 figure sports stars or coaches. These are folks who love drum corps, teaching kids, trying to make a living and we call for them to be fired like it is a fantasy league. Really bush league in my opinion.

If there is one glaring error with a corps, I don't mind "a change needs to be made" statements, e.g., PR's guard getting 2.5'd by BD.

However, Xmen have enough issues that blame can't be laid on only a single facet of the corps. That's my issue with "XX needs to be fired" - several folks could fill the XX.

what percentage of drum corps staff has a job the other 8 months of the year? You post this like a corps choosing a new caption head (or drill writer, or tech, or whatever) will cause the now replaced staffer's family to starve.

what percentage of drum corps staff has a job the other 8 months of the year? You post this like a corps choosing a new caption head (or drill writer, or tech, or whatever) will cause the now replaced staffer's family to starve.

B.S. the money is secondary. Forget I mentioned money I think the point still stands. It is in incredibly poor taste, in my opinion, to be naming individuals and publicly calling for their dismissal in the context of drum corps. Politicians, public administrators, sure. Drum corps caption heads, not so much in my opinion. I think our willingness to do that sort of thing is largely an unfortunate reality in the online world.