What's going on with Crossmen?

I saw Crossmen in Kalamazoo. They just have the appearance and behavior of a very young corps.

Lots of individual errors.

Lots of individual brass sounds.

Lots of breakdowns in marching technique.

They've got a fun show if they can hit a stride at some point. However, as of right now, I think they will struggle to make Friday night.

If they can build around a solid nucleus, then things will bode well in a year or two.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pal, it is extremely difficult to take you seriously when you spell like a 3rd grader - consistently !

Please take the time to correct your spelling prior to posting.

But you understood what the meaning was correct..isn't that all that matters...and I'm on cold medicine...yeah I know its summer time and a heat wave....my bad luck...

from what I hear its a pretty young corps (avg age about 17 maybe?). It feels like the whatever they are trying isnt working to the level that they wanted it to. I am really pulling for them, it would break my heart if they did not make top 17.

I don't think the age/experience level of the members is the main problem. I saw them last week. They are not performing badly for the time of season. Unfortunately, the musical book/arrangements are the problem...........you are also correct in saying that if Pacific Crest turns it on, the Crossmen may not make semifinals.....

GB

MBI is the local host corps for this event, and plays to a very high standard. Many members and family are heavily involved in the logistics of this show, and a more central performance spot reflects the fact that they are not just performers and spectators at this show and are involved with other tasks, particularly at the start of the day. I hope all out of town visitors for this show give MBI full appreciation for their performance, both as a corps and as hosts!

I haven't seen Minnesota Brass in awhile, but seeing them reminded me how well they always perform.

Good performance from them today!! :ph34r:

So, I'm curious what you think the reason is for the Crossmen not doing well this year. Is it because they are a young corps and you can't teach young players to play musically, march correctly, etc? Or is it because of the way the music/show is written, and if that's the problem, couldn't you make adjustments during the season?

I know i'd take different arrangements other than what I've heard from them. In fact, that statement goes since they moved to Texas

no Aaron, it's best I don't go in there.

just watched last week on the FN again, and my thoughts would only cause problems

So, I'm curious what you think the reason is for the Crossmen not doing well this year. Is it because they are a young corps and you can't teach young players to play musically, march correctly, etc? Or is it because of the way the music/show is written, and if that's the problem, couldn't you make adjustments during the season?

DID you see them at Minny tonight. very good , much improved.

They will be there in the end.

Its a long season.

Edited by FanofNight

DID you see them at Minny tonight. very good , much improved.

They will be there in the end.

Its a long season.

No, I haven't seen any corps this year. That's why I was asking why people think the Crossmen aren't doing well.